Locomotion / NRM L &Y tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I think the UK wages would stop that from happening. I suggested Thailand and Vietnam because their wages are cheaper than those of China. There are quite a few companies shifting their production facilities to places other than China.

It was tongue in cheek, but in time it'll happen.  If the market really will pay a higher price for higher spec models, that's the place to make them, they will then have total control of the end product.  At that point they will probably find forums screaming for price reductions and design clever approaches #sigh#

[ I only mentioned those models because they have been Hornby's sole attempts at pregrouping.

So you missed the Billington E2 LBSC, Caley Pug, GW101, Saint,LBSC brake Van ???

There's a lot there if you look, problem is, most of it is sh 1 t.

Cheers,

Peter C.

Aside from  the LSWR T9 and M7 and a few Terriers there were the GNR J52s and N2s.

I always thought it was shame that 1470 GREAT NORTHERN (or even the pre naming 1471 "SIR FREDERICK BANBURY") wasn't produced in GNR livery after Hornby had gone to the trouble of producing the taller (GNR gauge) chimney, dome and cab and the square ended buffer beam. 

I hope we haven't seen the last of the A1/A3s done to this standard or ebay will soon tell Hornby what we might have paid for them.

RP

Anyway, back on the topic of the Lanky tank, there are 93 left on the website as of this time. I ordered mine last weekend when there were 143. I suspect that a few people didn't need their funds tied up for too long and are ordering nearer to delivery which is reasonable. I expect the last ones to shift fairly quickly now. although I would feel for anyone who misses out, it should be seen as encouraging for both the NRM and Bachmann ( and the collectors club) that such models continue to hit the spot. More please!

RP

• Like 1

Morning all, 

Showing as "In stock now" on the Locomotion website, so we should all be receiving them in the next week or so as they say they hope to have all orders fulfilled by the 22nd November. There were 107 left in stock (ie not pre-ordered) according to the website when I checked this morning.

Best wishes,

David

91 left now..and all orders should be fulfilled by Friday....exciting!!

• Like 1

It would be nice if they could let those of us who pre-ordered (and paid for) the models know that they are in stock and when we can expect delivery.

But then I 'registered an interest' when they first gave us the opportunity to do so and never heard a thing when the pre-orders started, so a total lack of communication from them seems to be the norm.

Their customer service needs a kick up the backside, regardless of how good the models they offer us are.

They need a bit more than a kick up the backside!

I paid for my LY tank on Thursday by card and am still awaiting the item despite paying their exorbitant P & P charges for 1st class delivery and the claim it was in stock when I ordered. Makes you appreciate Hattons et al.

BTW being a charity is no excuse for incompetence 

:nono:

Edited by Mikado

• RMweb Gold

I paid for my LY tank on Thursday by card and am still awaiting the item despite paying their exorbitant P & P charges for 1st class delivery. Makes you appreciate Hattons et al.

Think you've got to wait for your turn in the queue - I paid for mine on October 17 and have not got mine yet....and I'm not jumping up and down about it....it will arrive when it arrives.....and bear in mind that the delivery charges are somewhat less than popping on a train and going to collect it in person.

Keith

I paid for my LY tank on Thursday by card and am still awaiting the item despite paying their exorbitant P & P charges for 1st class delivery and the claim it was in stock when I ordered. Makes you appreciate Hattons et al.

Jeez. They are not set up like Hattons et al, they are a small concern. And at the end of the day, it is a model, not an aid shipment for the Philipines. Lighten up. It will arrive in due course

Edited by steveb860
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is a ludicrous comparison.I paid for mine...way back when....weeks ago..as I have done,along with many others,with Lode Star from Steam (Swindon)In that particular case up to a year ago for some. You are very fortunate to be getting one at all.Were it not for the NRM,railway heritage would disappear from sight.Your money and mine are helping keep that ALIVE.The good news is that if we keep the faith,there will be more to come.You must understand that the way Locomotion operate is to collect money upfront for a special commission

Yes it is a charity which exists on a shoestring and not a multi million concern with upmarket stock control and warehousing.I would suggest that you might be none the worse for a little wait and the use of a little charity yourself

• Like 2

I am waiting with bated breath to see which will arrive first: The L&Y Tank or Lode Star. I ordered the former a month ago and the later over 10 months ago! If either or both don't arrive before I leave for set up day at Warley on Friday Morning, at least I will be able to visit their respective stands at the NEC!

I have to say that in general both the NRM and Locomotion have dealt very well with getting their limited editions out in the past. No previous experience of Steam.

At least I am sure I will get the Locomotion L&Y Tank well before the standard Bachmann version arrives!

I certainly am not going to get upset about either or in fact all three!

P.S. I'm glad I didn't bank on picking one up at Warley - only 49 left, so if you want to be sure of one, don't wait till Saturday, pay the postage and be certain of getting one!

Edited by Unknown Warrior
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I finally succumbed to the Lancashire and Yorkshire. Looks a nice loco . I'm going to put it on station pilot duties when I get it . I think the only 2-4-2 in production. A bit pricey given you can get an LMS one from Hattons @ £75 or around, but it looks something special and it's about the same price as a Hornby M7 , if you can get one!

Now if Bachmann would only do something Caledonian.......

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

Just arrived in Aberdeen this morning courtesy of Royal Mail - a quick snap on my iphone for the record.

Lovely little model, the only extra detail bits to be added are the screw couplings, everything else is factory fitted. I was curious as to what arrangement they'd use for the trucks; its the same arrangement Bachmann use for their A1/A2 Cartazzi trucks, with sideways movement. Not had a chance to test it yet - that'll be this afternoons job!

post-9382-0-95170900-1384860348_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

My loco waiting when I got in tonight, simply superb.

It runs like a dream and will sit on rollers for a couple of hours to run in before decoder fitting.

:yes:  

We would like to thank everyone for the wonderful response to the release of our Exclusive L & Y Tank engine. The rush of orders in the last week or so has been great. We have produced and distributed 3 excellent models over the last few months and locomotionmodels.com have an exciting programme for 2014/15.

These were the first exclusives to be handled solely by Locomotion, and as has been helpfully pointed out by some members we are a small team who also have a museum to run! As has also been pointed out we are a charity as well, and the sale of models helps to run the museum and keep our admission free.

Those of you who expressed an interest, and placed pre-orders will have their models processed this week. Orders placed recently will be processed in the order in which they were received. To give you some idea of the volume we dispatched 22 mail bags of models on Monday and Tuesday.

We are here on RMweb, we look forward to engaging with our customers and visitors, and you will be seeing a lot more NRM Exclusives from locomotionmodels.com in the future.

The Locomotion Sales Team

Another 6 bags gone out today!

Edited by LocomotionatShildon
  • Like 15

Thanks for the heads up Locomotion. It's great that you offer us such diverse and interesting models and I'm sure we all appreciate it very much.

Perhaps though, you might consider looking into improving the way you respond to people like me who don't use forums such as this one on a regular basis?

If you offer 'expressions of interest' and 'pre-orders' on your website, that does imply that you will take some action to keep those of us who take advantage of them informed of progress, even if it's just a standardised e-mail. The lack of communication has been a bit disappointing on this occasion.

I'm very much looking forward to receiving my model, and it would be a big help if you could try to keep us up to date with progress for future special editions.

I intend this as constructive criticism and I hope you accept it in the spirit in which it is written. If you keep producing the models, I'll keep buying them, but please let me know what's happening!

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

One thing to watch was the front if the cab came out of its clips on mine, just clips back down but beware it dislodged one of the two tiny details. A careful spot of glue sorted that but don't lift by the cab ;)

Edited by PaulRhB