BR Trestrol EO steel plate wagon

Would it be possible to buy the trestle etch at all?  I have an old tri-ang trestrol R242 which I am about to stretch.  The trestles would look very nice!!

John Fitton

I thought about this - but the trestles on the Tri-ang-type TRESTROL are different, surely?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I thought about this - but the trestles on the Tri-ang-type TRESTROL are different, surely?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Stop calling him Shirley.

Seriously though, the trestles are different, EO/MO are cranked along the base as the centre well girders are at a lower level than the outers, whereas the the 12 wheeler has level girders.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, thank you both for the swift reply.  I hadn't noticed, but I will check photos. 

If you wade through the Barrowmore drawings, (I would assist but I didn't bookmark them), you will see the difference, there are drawings of each trestle seperately.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have now got the latest version of the etch and I'm happy with it and I've managed to finish the instructions, so if anybody wants one of these please p.m. me for details. I'll probably order the next lot of etches next week.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember Tru-Scale Models producing an etched Trestrol kit in the late 1980s. After a brief flourish, it was never heard of again......

Sadly this is often the case, kits and models are often developed by modellers like myself who need or want a few for their own layout and unless one of the kit manufacturers takes it over (not a common thing to happen) then once the initial run or two have gone thats it.

A number of forum members have requested etches from me for this model so if you want some, p.m. me. I'm going to order more next week.

Ian

I have now got the latest version of the etch and I'm happy with it and I've managed to finish the instructions, so if anybody wants one of these please p.m. me for details. I'll probably order the next lot of etches next week.

Ian

At Ian's instigation, I have added a new transfer sheet to my range; see http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/latest.htm .

post-2274-0-88455200-1389806494_thumb.jpg

This sheet covers all of the bogie TRESTROLs that can derived from Ian's kit, and from the old Tri-ang Hornby 12-wheeled TRESTROL wagon.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 3 weeks later...

My kit arrived yesterday and first impressions are very good. Everything except transfers, very crisply etched and an instructional CD, excellent. Other commitments will delay a start until April but I'm looking forward to it. Time to get an order in to John at CCT.

• RMweb Gold

You got a sample?, I got the actual kits to build, delivered to Danumtown by that nice Mr Macgeordie, and a teaser for the next kit.

Mike

I got mine before you, well, about 2 minutes before you...

(and yes, the etch could be framed...)

After a couple of hours work I finally have more parts soldered to the correct bit than I've unsoldered!

Ian, some (hopefully constructive) feedback on the instructions - I became confused between parts 22 and 7, I think it would be worth breaking the first two paragraphs of 'The body'  into separate sections so that one covers the outer sideframes, and second covers the inner longitudinal (or v/v) I became a bit confused and attached 22's folded over around the inner frame, before I worked out what was wrong and took them off again.

Are there two part 22's end to end on each sub etch? i.e. they are not folded over like part 7, but simply used single sided  on the inside face of the outer sideframe, behind the rivet line? The rivets seem a fairly easy way for lining up part22, it would have been helpful to have a half etched line to align part 7.

Paragraph 3 of the body section, I think you mean 'Remove the two inner frames (item 3 or 4)'

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jon

Sorry you had a problem identifying the correct rivet strips. The ones for the outer frames are in pairs on the etch, just to save room. If you look at the copy of the instructions with the embedded photographs it is a lot more obvious which ones to use. I take your point about having an alignment mark on the inner frames, I'm currently building 3 wagons myself as a commission and it would be easier to get the strips square if there was a positioning mark at the bottom edge. I'm working on some drawings for the diagram 2/680 wagon at the moment which is similar to this wagon, so I will add the mark to those drawings. It isn't worth changing the drawings for this model, as the expense of the new tooling would be so much I could never recover the costs against anybody else buying a kit, which defeats the object. I'm just another modeller like yourself, not a business, and although I am very happy to share my work with fellow modellers, I don't really want to loose out financially by doing so.

I hadn't noticed the typo error with regards to the inner frame, you are correct it should just say item 3 so I'll ammend the text accordingly.

Good luck with the rest of the build, and please post a few pics as it progresses.

Cheers

Ian

Another evenings progress saw the longitudinal's soldered to the base, although frustratingly, despite having identified that the two sides of the floor were different, I still managed to solder it in upside down, which means I'm missing a half etched grove for the ends to align with. I managed to get the inserts out of the floor detailing etch without too much cleaning up, although next time I think I would prefer not to have parts within a part as flimsy as that. I'd also probably have made the top and bottom of the frame that carries part 22 a further pair of part 22 rather than have a full frame (so that there are 8 between two end franes rather than 4 within a box) . 

post-336-0-16845100-1392455844.jpg

Jon

Archived