N gauge Class 23 diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

I've just had through the cad/cam of the disc headcode version of the class 23 in N gauge that I can show here for the first time.

Please note this model is not announced yet, but the version here will be built into the tooling for the centre head code version by using slides to allow this model at a later date which will be announced in due course.

Comments appreciated as usual.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-71185600-1384516060_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-07119100-1384516089_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I've just had through the cad/cam of the disc headcode version of the class 23 in N gauge that I can show here for the first time.

Please note this model is not announced yet, but the version here will be built into the tooling for the centre head code version by using slides to allow this model at a later date which will be announced in due course.

Comments appreciated as usual.

cheers

Dave

Good, a step underpinning  the 'maybe later' disc version of the 7mm class 23. I realise there are many hurdles to negotiate before you get to that, including the quite significant one of staying in business, but that's the one of those you've announced or hinted at so far that would tempt me.

Kipper on standby.

One compromise on traction tyres might be the method that seems to work OK on the newish Piko locos I have fitted this way- to have one tyre per bogie, arranged so that you get excellent pickup from three wheels on each rail.

Just an idea, possibly more relevant to the smaller Clayton.

All the very best

Les

Dave,

How much of a mod would it be to include a small switch on the underside so that the rear facing red light can be switched off when hauling a train? I love having directional lighting on diesels, but one point that particularly grates is when you are pulling a train and the rear facing red light is on when it shouldn't really have been! Would this be possible?

Dave,

How much of a mod would it be to include a small switch on the underside so that the rear facing red light can be switched off when hauling a train? I love having directional lighting on diesels, but one point that particularly grates is when you are pulling a train and the rear facing red light is on when it shouldn't really have been! Would this be possible?

Or switch off the lights altogether (on DC) - for 60s/70s locos (ie pre headlight fitted machines) the LED marker/tail and headcode lights are WAY too bright - in daylight they were more or less invisible and only dim at night. Modern LED lights on models are fine for more modern motive power with bright headlights, but really distract on older prototypes.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

In from China today are the pretty much finished cad/cam design of the disc headcode variant of class 23 locomotive.

The centre headcode version should be with me next week and i'll publish it when it's here.

I think I'm pretty close on this one and cant readily see anything that jumps out, but as always I welcome comments before I press the tooling button. (which will be Friday of next week).

I've included a transparent picture of the fuel tank showing a rectangular space for a sugar cube speaker. The bottom of the tank will have sound 'holes' in it to let sound through. However for those that don't wish to have sound in their loco, the model will have this space filled with a removable metal weight for added adhesion.

Also of note are the traction tyres on opposite wheels by the fuel tank (1 for each inside axle). spares will also be in an accessory pack and available to order once the batch of models are delivered to my distributor in the UK.

There is also a separately moulded cooling fan beneath the etched fan grille in the roof.

For those that do not want traction tyres or model 2mm, spare non traction tyre grooved wheel sets will be available as spares from the launch date as well.

Please note that this loco also has an NEM close coupling mechanism and as such, the loco will come with 2 pairs of Rapido couplers (1 pair short shank and 1 pair long) for you to choose the optimal configuration for your layout.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-38470300-1392388650_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-65452000-1392388666.jpg

post-1144-0-18505700-1392388684_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-32245800-1392388695_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Joseph,

Keep looking at the timeline page on my website, as this will tell you all you need to know about the stage of development of each model.

Once I put 'on the boat' in there, you know it's 28 days to the distributor and a further 7 days to the shop.

Forgive me, but I'm doing it this way so as to not promise the earth up front, as that does me no good, and gets potential customers more frustrated when dates or years are promised but not kept too!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dave , This looks good as well as the 17, did the bodyside windows warrant a move as angle of projection not comparable to first CAD that prompted my comment, Heljan had issue with windows mentioned on here at the time, nodoubt in N its fractions of a mil dif.

But cannot wait for blue headcode version!

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

An update from China today, that if I hope my corrections (which are very minor) come through in time, i'll authorise cutting metal on this week.

Any comments appreciated.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-04530300-1394532772_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-81746100-1394532788_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-78820900-1394532802_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave the 3/4 from above shot makes the bogies look like they stick out of the side a bit but the end on shot shows a reasonable tuck in  effect of the light? The Strathwood "looking back at EE locomtives" shows all tucked under .

An effect of looking really close at pics shows fire break glass on opposite corners,  Second mans side no 1end (Rad) and secondmans side no 2 end. The cad shows all 4 corners, sorry not spotted earlier

Book shows a lovely pick of two tone green D5908 with full yellow ened bonnet and a BR arrow of indescison amidships, numbers are  steam era font- what a lovely mix!

Robert    

Hi Dave the 3/4 from above shot makes the bogies look like they stick out of the side a bit but the end on shot shows a reasonable tuck in  effect of the light? The Strathwood "looking back at EE locomtives" shows all tucked under .

An effect of looking really close at pics shows fire break glass on opposite corners,  Second mans side no 1end (Rad) and secondmans side no 2 end. The cad shows all 4 corners, sorry not spotted earlier

Book shows a lovely pick of two tone green D5908 with full yellow ened bonnet and a BR arrow of indescison amidships, numbers are  steam era font- what a lovely mix!

Robert    

Hi Robert,

yes an effect of the light and computer perspective, the bogies don't stick out so far, I promise. lol

As for the break glass on each cab side, it's one of the niggles I sent to China this morning.

And yes, doesn't D5908 look good in that livery?

cheers

Dave

Would look much better with 'DJM Easi Shunt' couplers :sungum:

Yes, wouldn't it ;-)

I know this is the 'n gauge' 23.. How is the 7mm version coming along?

Hi mate,

It's not taking priority over the N and OO products.

As you can see by the cad cams on my website they are coming along, just slower than the rest (on purpose I may add).

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi mate,

Sorry but I can't give that information. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't feel good giving information that may, should people want one for a birthday etc, be incorrect.

This is why I keep the 'timeline' page on my web site up to date, as and when I have something to say.

Too often in the past, dates or months of arrival have been promised and I don't want to go down that route.

I hope you understand? Oh, and I love your avatar! :-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

just a quick update today on this model.

I have almost got to the approval stage, with only 1 change left to make.

this is the door frame on the bodyside.

I believe it sticks out to far and have asked for it to be a scribe line demarking the doorway rather than an external frame as it will look better.

However changes have been made and I attach 2 pictures here to show them.

Namely that The fuel tank has a speaker grill built into the bottom to allow for sound to be released if you model DCC and wish to put a decoder (Sugar cube) within the fuel tank.

However on delivery to the customer the model will have a cast weight within the fuel tank for extra adhesion, that those who model DCC sound can easily unclip and remove for speaker fitting.

Once the scribe line change is completed this week I will authorise for tooling.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-40893100-1399027030_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-01873200-1399027111_thumb.jpg

• Like 8