PETES WORKBENCH. Scratch building a LSWR 0395 class, long term project

N15class

Excellent models as per usual Peter,

George..

Thanks George

It has all slowed down here. SWMBO seems to think tiling the kitchen is more important.

Been watching your Ashcome Bay. The buildings look good. Hopefully I will learn something for my rendition of Bodmin.

Super models Peter.  I am impressed with the interior of the open and conflat.

It is dead easy I use satin paints as they take a little longer than matt to dry. It is just 3 colours all applied while wet and brushed together.

• 4 weeks later...

I have managed to get transfers on three of the five wagons seen earlier. The brake van still needs work doing and I am waiting for the transfers for  the GWR container van.

So the update so far is as follows. The standard goods, and banana vans are complete along with the LMS open.

After painting I tried a matt acrylic artists varnish I bought here. For a rattle can it sprayed very well. Not quite as matt as I would like but leaves the model as smooth as a baby's butt. How well it will weather I have yet to find out.

First up is the trio together.

post-13601-0-67568600-1392858252_thumb.jpg

Next is the banana van, I am still not sure whether to keep this, as my layout will not really require it, But it does look nice, and colourful. I fitted some old screw couplings whilst I decide what to do.

post-13601-0-54413300-1392858278_thumb.jpg

Here is the standard goods van. apart from light weathering is ready to go.

post-13601-0-53438400-1392858293_thumb.jpg

Finally the LMS 5 plank. quite pleased with this although since finishing I have found the buffers are too close together. Hopefully I can live with this as long as it works on the layout if not I will modify it.

post-13601-0-94351400-1392858308_thumb.jpg

Not sure whats coming up next, I have a few locos to build once I can cet all the parts organised. There is also some coaches I would like to build so we will just have to see what gets my mojo going.

• Like 7

Nicely done Peter,

I understand your dilemma on the banana van.

I have a few GWR/SR van kits in the pipeline and I won't be entirely sure whether I should keep them when I have them finished. But if I make a nice job of them I will be reluctant to let them go.....

Nicely done Peter,

I understand your dilemma on the banana van.

I have a few GWR/SR van kits in the pipeline and I won't be entirely sure whether I should keep them when I have them finished. But if I make a nice job of them I will be reluctant to let them go.....

Thanks Rob

It is hard with something like the banana van as they seem just to go between London and Southampton, not the type of wagon you would find up a branch line.

Hi Peter

A great thread you have running here, wonderful skills, definitely one to follow.

Will be a great source of information and help to a relative newbie like myself.

Thanks

We all start somewhere and we all need inspiration. You just have to keep asking questions, then find your own way using all the answers.

Start of  a new project for me. I am scratch building a LSWR 24 foot special luggage van, diagram 929. I managed to get a copy of a drawing for this from a kind member of this parish. After some work I got the drawing sized and printed. It is just under half a millimeter short, I do not think this will be a problem as I cannot see it unless I put the ruler on the drawing.

I am going for the lace of panelling as I did for the trailer third. For this I glued a copy of the drawing to some plasticard with pritt stick glue. I found it much easier to punch out the corners and cut, than I did with the TT that I had drawn onto the card.

The bigest problem I have with this is the ventilated louvres in the bottom panels. I have not come up with a way as yet to make look right. I will have to hurry as the laces are almost ready to go on the sides proper.

The drawing I am using was done by R E Tunston. Not sure if it was ever published in the Railway Constructor magazine. But I built a 4mm one from that drawing.

Here we have the lace frets half done,

post-13601-0-31834400-1393454277_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

A little progress with the PLV today.

I have made the 2 sides they just need the doors adding now. I am quite pleased with the way they have turned out. It took me some time to find a solution to the louvre problem I am happy with the result.

post-13601-0-38170200-1393600439_thumb.jpg

The floor, inner ends and false roof have been cut in one strip then cut to length, gave me more chance of getting a consistent width. The sides were then assembled into the basic box. The false roof will be added after a bit of curing, then make and fit the ends proper. I am suprised how quickly it has turned into a recognisable shape. The detailing will soon slow the progress down.

post-13601-0-51983300-1393600443_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Absolutely fantastic, I'm sure the sides and ends took a while to cut out, but they look beautiful, great job.

Thanks Nelson

Being short and having the drawing attached to them they did not take to long. It is a method I will use again

I seem to be flying through this build at the moment. I am sure it all go t##s up soon.

I have now made and fitted the doors, jut need to add the door stops and sliding gear cover.

I also had a bit of luck, I had an half an old preformed roof from a Highfield kit. I knew it would come in handy all those years ago I put in in the stock pile. (phew) For some strange reason it was a perfect fit width wise. and just needs tidying up length wise.

I have just drilled the holes for the torpedo vent etc so when glued it will vent nicely. Finding this meant I had to change my idea of the inner roof, I have now added it over the sides instead of between, just to give the roof something to clip over.

Just the buffer planks and soul bars to add in plastic, the rest I think is metal. Hopefully I can find some axle boxes and springs otherwise more cutting and sticking.

post-13601-0-69567200-1393678221_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-00843900-1393678196_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-85390100-1393678206_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A little progress with the PLV today.

I have made the 2 sides they just need the doors adding now. I am quite pleased with the way they have turned out. It took me some time to find a solution to the louvre problem I am happy with the result.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

The floor, inner ends and false roof have been cut in one strip then cut to length, gave me more chance of getting a consistent width. The sides were then assembled into the basic box. The false roof will be added after a bit of curing, then make and fit the ends proper. I am suprised how quickly it has turned into a recognisable shape. The detailing will soon slow the progress down.

attachicon.gifb.jpg

Wow! That was quick Peter.

It seems much easier to cut the panelling with the drawing glued to the plasticard. The work looks very neatly done too. You will soon be knocking out coaches at the rate of one a day like the great David Jenkinson did.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Rob

It is hard with something like the banana van as they seem just to go between London and Southampton, not the type of wagon you would find up a branch line.

I don't know about branchlines, but there were quite a few banana-ripening depots around the country; in the South and West, I know of ones at Exeter Central, Barnstaple Junction and Warminster.

Wow! That was quick Peter.

It seems much easier to cut the panelling with the drawing glued to the plasticard. The work looks very neatly done too. You will soon be knocking out coaches at the rate of one a day like the great David Jenkinson did.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin

I do not think I will ever be that good. I really should be doing the PP driver but this is going well and I don't want to spoil things.

I also need to get on with some loco's but delivery of the wheels is really slow. 

I don't know about branchlines, but there were quite a few banana-ripening depots around the country; in the South and West, I know of ones at Exeter Central, Barnstaple Junction and Warminster.

It might come down to rule 1 "it's my railway", and I run it on there as I like the look of it.

A bit more done before the progress slows down as I need to cut some brass.

The roof is now fixed along with the cantrail and door gear cover.  The solebars and buffer planks have been fitted along with the top steps. Not sure as yet how to fit the lower ones.

I found a set of rocking W irons and a pair of V hangers. Need to look at axle boxes. I have some from my damaged Fox bogies which I think look similar. The springs are a problem as I think the ones I have are not long enough.

Well here is the progress.

post-13601-0-05843800-1393765044_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-08350200-1393765056_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-06867500-1393765064_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Pete,

Looking very good Sir! I have to admire your skill at cutting plastic - mine never seems to cut in straight lines..... :dontknow:

Could you not make some springs up from strips of plasticard? I have done similar in the past from strip brass.