PETES WORKBENCH. Scratch building a LSWR 0395 class, long term project

N15class

Fantastic work, and what a brilliant method of fixing the roof, great idea.

Thanks Nelson

With brass rooves you can make clips and clip them on, but here that would not of worked. Hense the trial of screw down like the old Triang coaches.

• Like 1

Thanks Colin

There are plumbers but they use polypipe no heating or hot water here in the north. Copper tube is unheard of except for special uses like aircon systems. The fitters just swage the end and bolt the tube on so no soldering.

I was pleased with the duckets too, the plasticard ones just did not work for me.

Gosh,

What cultural differences there are between Britain and Brazil: we plumb our houses with pipes made from an increasingly rare metal and flush our toilets with water of drinkable quality which most of the world would die for (and are dying for the want of it in some places).

I would gladly post you some flux, but am not sure how it could be contained safely and not look like a suspicious package. For the small amount of brass-work I do, La-Co Regular Soldering Paste is very good. The paste is non-toxic, acid-free, and lead free. It is manufactured in the USA by: La-Co Industries, Inc./Markal Company 1201 Pratt Boulevard Elk Grove Village Il 60007-5745.

Perhaps a look on the internet for a USA supplier this product might be worth a try, they're only one continent (and non oceans) away from you!

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

Gosh,

What cultural differences there are between Britain and Brazil: we plumb our houses with pipes made from an increasingly rare metal and flush our toilets with water of drinkable quality which most of the world would die for (and are dying for the want of it in some places).

I would gladly post you some flux, but am not sure how it could be contained safely and not look like a suspicious package. For the small amount of brass-work I do, La-Co Regular Soldering Paste is very good. The paste is non-toxic, acid-free, and lead free. It is manufactured in the USA by: La-Co Industries, Inc./Markal Company 1201 Pratt Boulevard Elk Grove Village Il 60007-5745.

Perhaps a look on the internet for a USA supplier this product might be worth a try, they're only one continent (and non oceans) away from you!

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin for the address I will look into what they have. I have found some 85% phosphoric in the south so I will get that If I find nothing closer.

I dont think the average plumber here would know what to do with copper tube.  When the house was built I had to work out the stairs as the architect struggled. Also had to show the electrician how to wire a three way switched light. 

Where we live we are lucky we have potable water. But mostly the tap water is not safe to drink. 

I have found the worlds postal services get mail to Brazil very quickly it just all falls apart once it gets here.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some more to show. What with family and other commitments, and lack of acid I have mandged to get the underframe complete.

I found a little phile of 188 solder paste I had in case of, it sort of works but has a flux a bit like rosin, it leaves a hard crust on most joints I also have some of carrs solder cream but that is useless on anything but laminates. By the way mine is drying out what can it be watered down with?

Well here is the progress.

We start with the axle boxes. I found some from an old Slaters Gloucester wagon kit, not right but I though with a little work they may do. Here is a before and after picture.

post-13601-0-86711000-1399035154_thumb.jpg

Next up we have the W irons, these are spares from Haywoods wagons. these were assebled using various bits and bobs for the brakes and a rocking unit from Gladiator models.  Again the brakes needed modification as they are similar to the ones on the PLV. But not power operated.

post-13601-0-43640800-1399035217_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-90579000-1399035220_thumb.jpg

The hand brake operating parts were next. As you can see I modified an old whitemetal tender handbrake for the interior, and some wagon vee hangers for the underside. The levers etc are from scratch.

post-13601-0-33926800-1399035214_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-85506200-1399035224_thumb.jpg

Here are the parts all placed in possition to get an idea of how it will all look. I am pleased with the way it looks, I still need to do a lot of cleaning up. The axle boxes are not right but the look closer to LSWR ones than they did, also slightly quicker than order some.

post-13601-0-20257200-1399035172_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-93899900-1399035184_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-96176900-1399035202_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-57121000-1399035208_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-40426800-1399035211_thumb.jpg

It is now back to the body to make and fix the steps, lamp irons and handrails. Then I think it is off to the paint shop.

• Like 3

Cracking work on the undercarriage Pete. 

Thanks Chris

Just looking at the brake on the bench to work out how the foot boards go around the springs etc. The light bulb in my head lit up. What springs!!!! some one was getting ahead of themself. Guess what is being made at this moment? Nope it is not the footboards.........

Hi Peter,

The van is looking very good indeed. The mix of brass and plastic components has worked well.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Chris

I am pleased with the way the different materials have worked. I have seen the strapping done in plastic, but it just did not work for me.

Right after my false claims about what needed to be done in the last past. I think I have got everything together.

I made the springs and J hangers in a similar way to the PLV ones.  I was a bit of a fiddle as they were fitted to none standard axle boxes.

The step brackets where again made from brass, for strength, although they are still quite flimsy as I used a light gauge so thay they did not look to heavy on the solebars.

The steps themselves are plasticard. There should be a strap on them in front of the axle boxes I have not done this as I brass looks to heavy and there is no strength in plasticard. May see how I feel about it tomorrow. The top steps were a pain as there is rivet detal half obscured by them and the needed to be cut around the buffer plank and step support.

I then fitted the lamp irons the veranda ones had already been made. the end ones were a simple folding job. The buffers are not quite right they should be ribbed round base ones, not the ones fitted that were Slaters spares.

I also fitted a lump of whitemeatl as the stove, not that it can be seen but we need some weight. It is made from an old loco funnel and a buffer. The chimney locates in a hole in the top. I still need to find about 50 grams to get to my usual 1gm per millimeter. I think I need to make a lead trunk for the van section.

Here are the photos. I hope you like I will prime it tomorrow.

post-13601-0-85591600-1399314966_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-15663800-1399314991_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-10831800-1399315002_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-49442900-1399315008_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-01028200-1399315016_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-18756100-1399315039_thumb.jpg

Now what next? As my wheels are not here, and we are still searching for acid. Maybe I ought to get back to the Pull Push driver third.

• Like 6

Hi Peter,

That is a very handsome model. One little point: I think there should be horizontal strapping between the W-iron legs, although maybe these have been left off so you can drop the wheels out. Apart from that - top notch modelling!

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin

You are dead right there should be, and once I remember where they are I will fit them. They may be blackened and superglued after painting. No the wheels are unfortunaly fixed in place.

The painting is well under way. I have done the spaying and it is down to detail painting now. I have the colour scheme for the inside so that will be brush painted very shortly.

You will also see I have added the hand rails. I am looking forward to completing this I just need to figure out where the SR was aplied. I think either side of the van door.

post-13601-0-63850800-1399677311_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-41685600-1399677317_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-35537200-1399677320_thumb.jpg

I have got my phoshoric acid sorted now just got to wait for delivery from the south. None of the comanies here would sell less than a 40 litre bottle, and would not let me know who they sold it to, so I could get it from them.

• Like 6

None of the comanies here would sell less than a 40 litre bottle, and would not let me know who they sold it to, so I could get it from them.

I suppose the only consolation with that is, that you shouldn't run out again for a while!

PS. the brake van is looking even better with paint on!

Edited by Rob Pulham

What red are you using for the exterior ends Peter?

Hi Paul

It is a mix of Humbrol matt 36 and Precision SR venetian red. The mix I think was about 3 to 1 Humbrol to Precision.

It is just my view but the reds used for buffer beams looks too red, the venetian red is to brown. I found No 36 scarlet I think toned down much better. It lost its brightness but not the colour.

I suppose the only consolation with that is, that you shouldn't run out again for a while!

PS. the brake van is looking even better with paint on!

Thanks Rob

I am pleased with it too. There are parts where I wish I had redone them, but the layout will be viewed from one side only. So my stock will have the best side out.

If in the UK I would not of hesitated in buying a 40ltr tub, and sell on the rest. Like I did with a few things I needed for my modelling. But here I think I would be hard pressed to find modellers who would require it.

Apart from the glazing the brake is complete. I really have enjoyed this build. I can see me doing more. I just need to get a supply of wheels, W irons and some LSWR axle boxes. Although the I could manage with just wheels. I need to sort out the next project now. I need another build for myself.

I will finish off a few bits and bobs, the ones that were left because I got to a stage where I became bored with them. You know the thing a couple of hours work but the brain wants the excitment  of a new challenge.

Then there is still the refinement of the track plan for the layout.  I will have to look at the plastic stock too and see what I need. I feel the urge for another coach. I have in my mind which one, we will have to see.

Anyway back to the brake. You will see the handrails are now white, I have added handles to the van doors. (Which I nearly forgot). The transfers are HMRS press fix ones. An all over coat of matt acrylic artists varnish. Not as matt as I would like but will be fine in the end.

Here are the pictures, hope you lke.

post-13601-0-47176100-1399899649_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-43881400-1399899656_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-56691600-1399899661_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-78705200-1399899665_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-31060900-1399899692_thumb.jpg

Edited by N15class
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Peter,

Excellent finish to an excellent model. The strapping is very effective, so you were right to go with brass fort that (and the duckets). Not a bad outcome for a model you said you were making due to lack of parts to make anything else!

Dare I ask what comes next?!

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

Hi Peter,

Excellent finish to an excellent model. The strapping is very effective, so you were right to go with brass fort that (and the duckets). Not a bad outcome for a model you said you were making due to lack of parts to make anything else!

Dare I ask what comes next?!

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin

Thanks for the kind words. Once I have my flux I need to get on with some metal bashing. I need to sell a few things to pay for more of my own models.

I think I should finish off a couple of things. But as for starting something new, I need to check what I have, I want in the long term to build an ex LSWR ironclad, one of the composite brakes used in the west country, and attached to the ACE.

The big plan for the layout when built is a couple of ex LSWR panelled bogies as a train I have basic etched kits for these in the UK. The pull push that I have done half of, and the ironclad. With various PLV's gives me 3 trains all short so ideal for the old branch line terminus.

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the glazing the brake is complete. I really have enjoyed this build. I can see me doing more. I just need to get a supply of wheels, W irons and some LSWR axle boxes. Although the I could manage with just wheels. I need to sort out the next project now. I need another build for myself.

I will finish off a few bits and bobs, the ones that were left because I got to a stage where I became bored with them. You know the thing a couple of hours work but the brain wants the excitment  of a new challenge.

Then there is still the refinement of the track plan for the layout.  I will have to look at the plastic stock too and see what I need. I feel the urge for another coach. I have in my mind which one, we will have to see.

Anyway back to the brake. You will see the handrails are now white, I have added handles to the van doors. (Which I nearly forgot). The transfers are HMRS press fix ones. An all over coat of matt acrylic artists varnish. Not as matt as I would like but will be fine in the end.

Here are the pictures, hope you lke.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

attachicon.gifc.jpg

attachicon.gifd.jpg

attachicon.gifg.jpg

Bl00dy brilliant! 

Bl00dy brilliant! 

Thanks Chris.

I am very happy to add it to the stock list. I have the urge to do some more wagons.

Superb Peter. I want one!! (I'll have to build one........ Sometime!)

Thanks Paul

Bill Bedford has one is his to do list, but that could be years away.

When I was building the sides and ends in the flat. I thought about resin casting them. But the delivery of stuff here is bad. I may look into it if and when I do some of the LSWR vented goods vans. There are supplies of resin and silicon here but all in the south.