Unknown Warrior - The road to 11th November 2018

Unknown Warrior

• 4 weeks later...

First an update on progress on the Firebox. I was at LNWR Crewe last Saturday and took these photos of the crown and wrapper. Also the side plates and the back plate. the tube plate was due to be drilled this week so almost a complete kit of parts for the inner firebox. Just the throat plate to do which has been subcontracted to Tyseley.

Also a new drawing showing the boiler in place plus cylinder and motion.

If you are at Warley over the weekend please come and visit our stand. We have some interesting model railway items for sale and of course please do not forget your "Pound (or more) for the Patriot!"

I will be around on Sunday although not necessarily on the stand.

post-4790-0-07733100-1416486528.jpg

post-4790-0-07184300-1416486556_thumb.jpg

post-4790-0-57827600-1416486679_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Time for an end of year report. The Unknown Warrior has moved forward considerably over the last 12 months and is now properly on its driving wheels. We now have a complete set of wheels following the decision to cast a new set of bogie wheels rather than wait for the second set to arrive from Turkey. We really could not afford to delay the assembly of the front bogie any longer. By the middle of next year, once the new wheelset has been assembled all the parts will be available and the bogie can be built and fitted.

All the major castings have now been manufactured so assembly of the chassis can move forward quickly in 2015. Two Cylinders are already in place on the frames, see photos, and the third will be joining them in the early new year. Then the motion girders and brackets can be fitted followed by the slide bars, springs and coupling rods.

Following a successful "Tenner for the Tender Appeal" #10,000 has been raised for the materials for the tender and the labour costs are to be met by the generous sponsorship of Rowlescourt Engineering. The tender is due to be completed in mid 2016.

A similar appeal for #10,000 is now being launched for the boiler barrel to be rolled during 2015. Just need a slogan: "Bung a tenner in the boiler barrel" or something similar. Ideas welcome!

The inner firebox is progressing well at LNWR Crewe as reported above and work on the outer firebox will start during 2015. By the beginning of 2016 final assembly of the boiler should start with a view to a complete boiler by the end of the year, leaving 2017 for final assembly of the complete engine and its first moves.

All of this requires us to keep raising more and more cash. We went through the first million appropriately on 11th November, so half way there. In the first half of this financial year #131,600 was raised plus boiler loans of #43,265, so almost #175K. We need to keep this up and increase cash flow, especially over the next 12 months as we aim to finish the chassis and keep work on the boiler progressing. The next 12 months will challenging and will effectively heavily influence our ability to complete the engine to be in London on 11th November 2018. History has set us a demanding target........ we don't want to miss it! So please help us in any way you can. If you see us around throw (at least) a pound in the bucket and if you are able to help us more substantially we will be very grateful.

Happy New Year.

post-4790-0-72316000-1420042326_thumb.jpg

post-4790-0-69670000-1420042430_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

You could even set it to music...

"Roll Out The Barrel, a tenner's a good place to start,

Give Us a Tenner, and you will be playing a part

In rolling our barrel,

And helping our wonderful team

To build up our boiler barrel

And we'll soon be in steam!"

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

They have had some bad news as LNWR Heritage have decided to stop doing any work on the new firebox/boiler, so they can concentrate on their own engine fleet. http://www.lms-patriot.org.uk/engineering/2017-05-25/boiler-manufacture-may-2017

A very sad state of affairs. This loco means so much because of the link to the Royal British Legion and the end of the first world war.

Edited by Chris116

Sad news for the Patriot, I hope a new builder can be found in the UK and quickly - I know Severn Valley have experience of boilers for some engines like 82045 but this one is probably a bit bigger.

As Chris says above its really bad on LNWR - one thing to say "we will stop taking work but will honour all exisitng contracts" but its another to suddenly stop and leave customers high and dry. Hopefylly only the work done was paid for.

• RMweb Gold

If you read the release they will finish work already started. I assume they were building as a series of contracts due to fundraising time rather than having one big contract in place so effectively they aren't taking on new work.

If it was halfway through then there'd be legal protection from the contract.

No doubt LNWR know this won't be popular but they have to protect jobs by guaranteeing income. Sometimes life is a bit unfair and I hope the Patriot finds help soon.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very unhappy at the news that The Legion have removed their permission for Unknown Warrior to carry their crest. 

I have always supported the Legion to the maximum and thought that Unknown Warrior was going to be a brilliant advert for the Legion. 

I hope the Legion reconsider their decision or I will be reconsidering where my charity donations go, there are after all a large number of nearly equally deserving causes.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very unhappy at the news that The Legion have removed their permission for Unknown Warrior to carry their crest.

I have always supported the Legion to the maximum and thought that Unknown Warrior was going to be a brilliant advert for the Legion.

I hope the Legion reconsider their decision or I will be reconsidering where my charity donations go, there are after all a large number of nearly equally deserving causes.

Chris

Well that’s a bit of a bad show. Using the Crest does not say in any way that the Legion has financially supported the project. Very sad news.

• RMweb Gold

Chris

I'd strongly urge you not to punish the recipients of the Legions good work over a silly decision by the board on technicalities of procedure. It's strange decision not to take the free publicity for the Legion but I suspect they are struggling to control the public image with so many other organisations now after donations for our forces. Are these board members ex services or corporate experts?

Simply carrying a cast poppy plate as long as it's not one of their images would seem a nice alternative and having a regular event each year to support their work regardless would rise above such procedural technicalities :)

I'd strongly urge you not to punish the recipients of the Legions good work over a silly decision by the board on technicalities of procedure. It's strange decision not to take the free publicity for the Legion but I suspect they are struggling to control the public image with so many other organisations now after donations for our forces. Are these board members ex services or corporate experts?

Simply carrying a cast poppy plate as long as it's not one of their images would seem a nice alternative and having a regular event each year to support their work regardless would rise above such procedural technicalities :)

Like most  big "charities" these days the Legion is now a corporate machine with little difference to a private corporation of similar size with all the expected hangers-on and ever ballooning management which often lose sense of just what they're there to do. The RNLI is another classic example of this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Like most big "charities" these days the Legion is now a corporate machine with little difference to a private corporation of similar size with all the expected hangers-on and ever ballooning management which often lose sense of just what they're there to do. The RNLI is another classic example of this.

Isn't that the truth, I find it sad to see how the charity sector has gone. Particularly the incestuous relationship between the state and parts of the charity sector. I work in London and enjoy walking around the city (London is one of the world's great walking cities) and it is eye opening to see some of the offices of charities. What is sadder is that the same corporatism now permeates many local charities too.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

At Warley the Project was please to announce a partnership with Bachmann to produce a 00 Scale model of "The Unknown Warrior" in early 2018 to coincide, hopefully, with the real loco's completion and launch into traffic.

The livery of the first model to be launched will be the first that "The Unknown Warrior" carries when launched into traffic. This will be decided by a ballot of the membership in the autumn of 2016, one member, one vote, so if you want to influence the vote become a member!

Initially the model will only be available from the Project before it goes on general release. Obviously it is too early to announce a price for the model but the project is asking for expressions of interest. There is no commitment to buy at this stage and no deposits are being taken.

If you are interested in being kept informed about the model's progress, please email your Name, telephone number and email address to: lms-patriot@hotmail.co.uk or write to: LMS-Patriot Co. Ltd., PO Box 3118, Hixon, Stafford, ST16 9JL.

Bachmann have kindly hand finished two existing Patriot Models as "The Unknown Warrior" in LMS Crimson Lake and BR Green, see below. These are purely for illustrative purposes and do not necessarily reflect the final appearance of the model. The other livery possibilities are LMS Wartime Black, post war LMS Lined Black and BR Lined Black.

Did these ever get announced for sale or did they fall by the wayside? I am very interested in an LMS Red version but i don't recall ever having seen any announcement of them being announced for order or going on sale.

Cheers,

Stephen

Not that I know of. I've not seen any advertised or for sale on the stall.

I'm not involved in any way with the Patriot, but I'm an interested bystander who sometimes talks to people involved at galas and at Llangollen.

However it's now at Crewe and looking good.

https://www.facebook.com/The-LMS-Patriot-Project-260229588683/

Jason

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did these ever get announced for sale or did they fall by the wayside? I am very interested in an LMS Red version but i don't recall ever having seen any announcement of them being announced for order or going on sale.

Cheers,

Stephen

The Bachmann Patriot model of 5551 'The Unknown Warrior' in LMS crimson lake is still very much in the pipeline. It will of course carry the new crest as unveiled on 10th November at Crewe Heritage Centre by Simon Weston. Watch this space as they say!

Andy

The Bachmann Patriot model of 5551 'The Unknown Warrior' in LMS crimson lake is still very much in the pipeline. It will of course carry the new crest as unveiled on 10th November at Crewe Heritage Centre by Simon Weston. Watch this space as they say!

Andy

Thanks Andy, very glad to hear that!

Stephen