New train sets and Gift Packs

Paul.Uni

66705 - oops - mistake on my part

As Bachmann's the main distributor for EFE I can see more tie-ups with the railway side of things including exclusive commissions (and in the future) new tooling.

Ready-motorised Underground trains would be an obvious one - EFE already have the tooling for the bodies so just up to Bachmann to provide chassis.

The Silver Jubilee set could be 2509 / 2510 / 2511 or 2512 with a matching rake. You'd think that if it was that, with that price tag, it would either be a new tool A4 ( very unlikely) or finally a proper articulated Silver Jubilee rake

• RMweb Gold

The Silver Jubilee set could be 2509 / 2510 / 2511 or 2512 with a matching rake. You'd think that if it was that, with that price tag, it would either be a new tool A4 ( very unlikely) or finally a proper articulated Silver Jubilee rake

Now that would be a thing of wonder....with a re-chassied A4,of course....zero chance of completely new tooling I would have thought.Still,one can dream...

Now that would be a thing of wonder....with a re-chassied A4,of course....zero chance of completely new tooling I would have thought.Still,one can dream...

I think Bachmann missed a great opportunity with their new chassis. I have "William Whitelaw" on the workbench for a client and am marvelling at how nice running the new chassis is. It's as good as the new V2 chassis and has just two minor drawbacks. One, only pickup on the driving wheels (though this hasn't been an issue as yet), and two, the motor/gearbox combination is ridiculously large under the body shell. Here, Bachmann could have taken an opportunity to retool the A4 and put the same chassis under an A3 Pacific. 

Why would I suggest duplication though? Simple fact of the matter is there aren't enough A3s coming to market through Hornby, and, like the 08 diesel, the Thompson B1, the standard 4MT, the 9F and a few other models including some forthcoming coaching stock, the Gresley A3 is one of those models everyone needs in their catalogue - they sell. 

The A4 body shell and tender need to be binned, but with the new standard tender coupling employed on the Bachmann A4 chassis, they could in theory very easily tool up a non corridor streamlined tender to go behind it. They are partway there with the Darlington built A1 tender after all (just remove the electric lighting). A new body shell to fit? Well, they haven't done it for the A4, the V2 or forthcoming V1/V3 so at this stage of the game I think it's fair to say we won't be seeing a new body shell A4 or any of the older ex-LNER models retooled any time soon.

There again, we did say similar things about their class 40...

• RMweb Premium

Courtesy of NtasticShop from the N Gauge Forum http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19220.30

The PDF flyer sent to them mentions all the new train set and pack releases in OO and N:

"Anniversary Packs Train Sets

2014 is a very special year for Bachmann Europe Plc, celebrating 25 years of producing high quality model railway products.

This pack has been produced to commemorate the 25th anniversary and contains a OO scale Jubilee and a Class 47 in a metal tin with a numbered certificate. £249.95 RRP"

The same locos will also be offered in N, no details of liveries and numbers assigned for either loco.

• RMweb Premium

Highlander set very tempting but would be useful to know if Bachmann will be producing any extra coaches to top up the sets (like I believe Hornby have done in the past). Also as suggested earlier, limited edition class 101 observation saloon for someone??

Mind you this is going to hurt those trying to sell the Model Rail 4 coach set for £200+ on eBay.

Highlander set very tempting but would be useful to know if Bachmann will be producing any extra coaches to top up the sets (like I believe Hornby have done in the past). Also as suggested earlier, limited edition class 101 observation saloon for someone??

Mind you this is going to hurt those trying to sell the Model Rail 4 coach set for £200+ on eBay.

do we care?

But is anybody selling them on Ebay? I can't find any. Also, I did investigate the 101 obo car a while back but it would have been a Hornby (ex-Lima job and I seem to recall it required a body/chassis swap which wasn't possible). Likelihood of Hornby and Bachmann paint colours matching was also a possible issue. Also Hornby minimum is 1,000 and we didn't believe there was sufficient demand. Might be easier with a Bachmann 101, however. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

But is anybody selling them on Ebay? I can't find any. Also, I did investigate the 101 obo car a while back but it would have been a Hornby (ex-Lima job and I seem to recall it required a body/chassis swap which wasn't possible). Likelihood of Hornby and Bachmann paint colours matching was also a possible issue. Also Hornby minimum is 1,000 and we didn't believe there was sufficient demand. Might be easier with a Bachmann 101, however. 

CHRIS LEIGH

There was a set about 3 weeks ago, from memory starting price was £230. You can put me down for a 101 obo car when you do one!!

• RMweb Premium

Station Jim would be a good set, the locos are beautiful in that, it was a TV Xmas film a few years ago, never seen it on DVD though.

I see Hornby have released Silver Jubilee set with wrong coaches again. I like the WW1 set with the tanks and the Ambulance train, and who does not like the railway children?

Edited by 7013

There was a set about 3 weeks ago, from memory starting price was £230. You can put me down for a 101 obo car when you do one!!

I discovered, while searching for my maroon Mk1s, a box containing a set of the Scottish Mk1s that we did - still with the tissue paper around the boxes!

CHRIS LEIGH

Sir Guy Williams in LMR blue was done in a wooden box as a commemorative set a good few years ago(ref: 32-250), though the midland compound set proves that Bachmann aren't against rereleasing an item when it suits.

Edited by Jenny Emily

CHRIS LEIGH

You can put me down for a 101 observation car too, 2 down 502 to sell