Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

• RMweb Gold

I did not remove the model from the blue box - so yes a loose handrail on the smoke deflector that can be reattached.  The visible boiler handrail was also distorted - not quite so easily corrected.  Would it sell on eBay for anything like its purchase price?  I doubt very much given the condition of the box.

Ray

To add to this...and I hope I'm not "rubbing salt",Ray,I received 60536 from Rails under the same Bachmann price "amnesty" in perfect condition and still in its factory tissue paper wrapping.

Someone being more than a little naughty,I think ?

• Like 1

I got so fed up with returning locomotives, particularly from one particular retailer that I nearly always source my requirements from Derails, who physically check and run the item prior to despatch,negating the need to return goods. I remember purchasing a B17 from one of the major boxshifters. The loco supplied was not only damaged, but ran appalingly. It was then shown online as returned into stock as "Not Wanted". I wouldn't be at all surprised if this wasn't sold on to an unsuspecting purchaser.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I got so fed up with returning locomotives, particularly from one particular retailer that I nearly always source my requirements from Derails, who physically check and run the item prior to despatch,negating the need to return goods. I remember purchasing a B17 from one of the major boxshifters. The loco supplied was not only damaged, but ran appalingly. It was then shown online as returned into stock as "Not Wanted". I wouldn't be at all surprised if this wasn't sold on to an unsuspecting purchaser.

A couple of years ago I purchased two locos one from each of the big two box shifters, one was a Brit 70050, great price but when it arrived all of the pipework was broken on the fire box,  left hand smoke deflector broken off, front of the tender broken off and various bits lying in the bottom of the box. I returned said Brit to the retailer and within a couple of weeks received a replacement..........guess what......... very similar issues, back went the second one, eventually a third example arrived which also had issues but not nearly so serious so I decided to keep and attempt to fix it here, despite the advertised promise I only received one lot of postage refunded.........I am in Australia so not insignificant.

Second case, I ordered a Midland Compound, split from the "Crimson Rambler" set, it arrived as a kit,brake gear smashed beyond recognition, complete buffer missing, when found in the box the bottom of the buffer head was at right angles to the rest of it, vacuum pipes broken and two steps broken off, worst thing to my mind though was a sand pipe was wrapped around a driving wheel rendering it immovable, yet the accompanying document said the loco had been "test run"   The loco was in a small box with a little piece of bubble wrap and a small plastic bag full of air to "protect it!!"........... never meant to travel half way round the world!. I shot off an email to the supplier three years ago.....still to receive a reply!!

To be fair I have had many dealings with the first retailer and this was the first real problem I had experienced.

I have tried to source the brake gear for the Compound from Baccy but they do not make it as a separate item, also tried a kit replacement but the only one I can find is Comet and that is specific to the out of scale Hornby loco.

Pity, as a Derby lad in the very late fifties I saw the prototype on many occasions and would love to have this running and looking the goods because it really is a superb model.

Rgds.......Mike

• Like 1

Yes Mike, a minor detail when the engine runs smoothly and there are no bits glued on at jaunty angles!

Though I am duty bound to say that 529 has the slopping running plate beneath the cab - a fix I need to apply to my own 532 yet.

I have been 'inside' to add some lead and have adjusted the footplate.   A major cause of the 'gap' below the cab was due to the fall plate being covered in surplus glue and not fitting in its allotted space.  Back together again and I think looking better.  I can see a fresh Blog Post appearing!

36013221590_e92d02e6d6_b.jpg

35601976863_36703bc87d_b.jpg

Bachmann A2s Pearl Diver (with refitted cab) and Blue Peter from the last decade with lining to the cylinders

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1

Yes Mike, a minor detail when the engine runs smoothly and there are no bits glued on at jaunty angles!

I have been 'inside' to add some lead and have adjusted the footplate. A major cause of the 'gap' below the cab was due to the fall plate being covered in surplus glue and not fitting in its allotted space. Back together again and I think looking better. I can see a fresh Blog Post appearing!

36013221590_e92d02e6d6_b.jpg

35601976863_36703bc87d_b.jpg

Bachmann A2s Pearl Diver (with refitted cab) and Blue Peter from the last decade with lining to the cylinders

In reality it never had lining on the cylinders. I removed mine.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have just bought 60532 Blue Peter and my one is also a little wonky but ok. It is in generally as new condition so I think it is from the assembly at the factory. It is the slide bars not being parallel with the track that I notice the most. I am not mad on the big wooden box, etc.  All locos made are "limited editions" in a way as there is not an infinite number of each! I think that the ordinary boxes are getting a bit large, too. I am still pleased with it and can live with the slight faults. It reminds me of seeing the loco on Blue Peter in the 70s.

Dave

Edited by drgj
  • Like 1

The body securing screws exactly as you describe. Fiddly extra aspect, the tender drawbar then has to be disengaged from a boss cast into the rear of the truck frame, and withdrawn before the mechanism can be removed from the body shell.

There's enough 'wiggle room' to lift the cab end slightly off the truck frame, for the drawbar to come out. Reverse procedure for reassembly. If you wish, before removing the drawbar use a scriber to make a mark on the drawbar underside indicating the original 'home' position as a guide for re-assembly, This is a common feature on many of the Bachmann tender locos first released up to about 2010, and often not mentioned in the instructions, I don't recall it being mentioned on the A2 poop sheet.

The two slide bars are a push fit into the cylinder block moulding (generally applicable to the outside cylinder Bachmann models I have fiddled with).

• RMweb Premium

The slide bars also have their own plastic stretcher.

The slide bars have a very small semi-circular protrusion on the top and are held to the stretcher with a tiny screw on each side. 

The stretcher is secured with one screw into the top of the chassis block.

Tom

The bodies can be a tight fit the first time. Sometimes the paint Bach use on the chassis casting is soft enough at assembly that this 'tacks' in some locations.

You have remembered to withdraw the tender drawbar? Wiggling the drawbar up and down can help in starting the breakout process on some Bachmann models (step forward the Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0) though I have never yet needed to do this on any examples of the A2 class I have opened up for decoder fitting.

• 1 year later...
Guest Mancunian
On 26/10/2019 at 12:15, atom3624 said:

I 'lightly smoked' my Blue Peter, mainly across the top - looks so realistic it's fantastic.

Really like this model - excellent effort by Bachmann on the A2's.

Prefer them with the double chimney must admit.

Al.

Just like the A4's...Double chimney's always look better...

Same with the Duchesses / Coronations!

I suppose there's some performance gain in the 'breathing', but loss in exhaust velocity - hence why all - except A4's have blinkers!

You can see the difference in the Coronations cf the 'Lizzie's'.

Back to A2 - the time LNER got it right (as with quite a few! - quite a compliment from me, more a LMS fan)!

Al.