Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

Couple of questions fellas (my apologies)

Can anyone confirm the shed name on last years Tudor Minstrels bufferbeam, please?

Regarding the new ones on Hattons, is the apple green a double chimney but without the multi valve regulator?

Am looking to get an apple green A2 for a planned conversion and am pondering the choices available.

Thanks in advance.

The two new versions at Hattons are early crest BR Brunswick green 60534 'Irish Elegance' without multi-valve regulator and with single chimney, and late crest BR Brunswick green 60533 'Happy Knight' with multi-valve regulator and double chimney.

Apple green 60528 'Tudor Minstrel' with British Railways lettering and single chimney is still available, as is the wooden-boxed 60532 'Blue Peter' with late crest and multi-valve regulator and double chimney.

LNER Apple green 526 'Sugar Palm' with flat profile double chimney is listed as available sometime? , I'm not sure about the regulator on this model, presumably not the external-rod style.

Rob

• Like 1

it is my determined plan to hold off for the Kylchap fitted Happy Knight, .. in late crest. ...

Oh happy day.

Looks to me as if the BR late crest version at least may have an acceptable running plate below the cab? Level, I mean...

... and so it is with the model now in my hands. Compared to my Bachmann A1s (bought a good few years ago) the build around the cab area is a completely tidy fit, nothing to sort out. Wooden cabside window frame represented. The tender drawbar has a scale distance setting. The spring on the Cartazzi wheelset has a very soft action, no need to cut it down. Etched nameplates supplied. Progress.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

and so it is with the model now in my hands. Compared to my Bachmann A1s (bought a good few years ago) the build around the cab area is a completely tidy fit, nothing to sort out. Wooden cabside window frame represented. The tender drawbar has a scale distance setting. The spring on the Cartazzi wheelset has a very soft action, no need to cut it down. Etched nameplates supplied. Progress.

Good afternoon. So 34 the letter between etc. is Happy Knight really OK? The reason I ask this is that I have just been looking at the pics on the Rails of Sheffield site and the loco and tender seem to have a distinct dip at the 'join', rather banana like it seems. Having said that I think this loco looks fantastic and if you tell me the banana shape is an optical illusion and the 'real thing' is fine, my dosh will be on its' way to said shop quicker than a 125 up the ECML.

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022

Not seen Happy Knight but Irish Elegance was in Cheltenham Model Centre lunch time. The overall look seems better than the Blue Peter and Batchelors Button. Poor cab fit seems to occur on some examples - check before you buy.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

Melt a bit more! It gets better. Have now had it all in pieces for a hard wired decoder install.

All the keeper plate screws are located clear of obstacles, and the keeper plate comes away freely once the screws are removed.

The front driven axle is sprung as on the A1, despite the diagram giving no hint of this. (Did the usual cutting of a rebate in the keeper plate and stretch of the spring to allow the axle a little more downward travel.)

The ballast weight in the forward section of the boiler and smokebox is secured by three screws on the centre line underside, and (unlike the A1) the footplate casting and boiler holds together when this is removed.

With the small PCB and socket also removed, there is ample space for 300g of lead, distributed 180g forward, 120g behind the motor, for an all up of just over 600g. Now pulls like fury...

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

My feeling is that Blue Peter and Batchors Button were a bit rushed - shame that the Livery errors and pipe runs missing. Not unfixable but annoying

OK, we know about the livery errors (cylinders, black running plate side), but missing pipe runs? What have I not spotted?

Melt a bit more! It gets better. Have now had it all in pieces for a hard wired decoder install.

All the keeper plate screws are located clear of obstacles, and the keeper plate comes away freely once the screws are removed.

The front driven axle is sprung as on the A1, despite the diagram giving no hint of this. (Did the usual cutting of a rebate in the keeper plate and stretch of the spring to allow the axle a little more downward travel.)

The ballast weight in the forward section of the boiler and smokebox is secured by three screws on the centre line underside, and (unlike the A1) the footplate casting and boiler holds together when this is removed.

With the small PCB and socket also removed, there is ample space for 300g of lead, distributed 180g forward, 120g behind the motor, for an all up of just over 600g. Now pulls like fury...

OK interrogation time:

Is the running plate under the cab straght and level with that on the tender?

When you had the keeper plate off, was the rear axle in a square channel or a round one? I ask because my square channeled blue peter has already started to wear through after minimal use, and the channel is VERY thin (1mm) as opposed to that under the front axle, meaning the point of contact with the axle is miniscule..

Is the recess for the centre driver slightly deeper than the others, i.e. when on the track, is there very slight upward play in the centre driver (meaning it is not really load bearing)?

Looks great. I wish they had not brought out BP in the first batch. The second batch is always better!

Is the running plate under the cab straght and level with that on the tender? Straight and level on my example. Slight mismatch to tender running plate height. (My opinion: between tyre wear, bearing crown wear, leaf spring degradation and load state of the two vehicles, the relative positions varied in service.)

When you had the keeper plate off, was the rear axle in a square channel or a round one? I ask because my square channeled blue peter has already started to wear through after minimal use, and the channel is VERY thin (1mm) as opposed to that under the front axle, meaning the point of contact with the axle is miniscule. It's still the old style square channel, circa 1mm wall thickness each side. My A1s have very little wear here, the oldest having run near daily for ten years weighted up to 600g. If significant wear appeared I would put a little whitemetal in the lubricant recess.

Is the recess for the centre driver slightly deeper than the others, i.e. when on the track, is there very slight upward play in the centre driver (meaning it is not really load bearing)? Didn't check for that. Protecting the gear driven axle by giving the spring on the front axle a good stretch, it takes near 150 g force to compress it to the normal running position. Thanks for raising that, needs a greater spring force to protect it; will have to put in a substitute beefier spring.

On the A1 the pipe run to the Electric lights and the reverser are present. These are missing on the A2 even though the holes are present on the cab -its the same moulding. Bachmann have omitted the hole of the reverser in the running plate.

HTH.

Edited by davidw

Is the running plate under the cab straght and level with that on the tender? Straight and level on my example. Slight mismatch to tender running plate height. (My opinion: between tyre wear, bearing crown wear, leaf spring degradation and load state of the two vehicles, the relative positions varied in service.)

When you had the keeper plate off, was the rear axle in a square channel or a round one? I ask because my square channeled blue peter has already started to wear through after minimal use, and the channel is VERY thin (1mm) as opposed to that under the front axle, meaning the point of contact with the axle is miniscule. It's still the old style square channel, circa 1mm wall thickness each side. My A1s have very little wear here, the oldest having run near daily for ten years weighted up to 600g. If significant wear appeared I would put a little whitemetal in the lubricant recess.

Is the recess for the centre driver slightly deeper than the others, i.e. when on the track, is there very slight upward play in the centre driver (meaning it is not really load bearing)? Didn't check for that. Protecting the gear driven axle by giving the spring on the front axle a good stretch, it takes near 150 g force to compress it to the normal running position. Thanks for raising that, needs a greater spring force to protect it; will have to put in a substitute beefier spring.

I stretched my front spring (a replacement), and then decided it was silly, so put the original back.

My query regarding the middle axle was it appears to already be protected. Callipers suggest the recess for the centre axle is 0.1mm deeper than the rest. Again, have I got a duffer? This is identifiable when the loco is on the track. push the loco forwards/backwards (about 1mm, and before the slack is taken up in the rods, only the front/rear drivers roll). The middle wheelset can be lifted, or wobble very slightly when on the track.

The difference between the A2 and the A1, is that, iirc the A1 has a round U shaped thin channel wall for the rear axle, but the A2 has a square channel, thus the point of contact is much much less. and wear in induced very quickly. Odd design on Bachmanns part, clearly someone in China who doesn't quite understand long-lasting mechanical interfaces. A great shame, hence I was hoping they had changed it to a round-U.

White metal fil is the answer, indeed a plunger from Bachmann has a thickness of 0.8mm, exactly the same as the recess below the rear axle. Front and back of plunger need cutting off, but you finally have a U-shaped channel. Recommended, else the loco will slowly sink backwards over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening All

I have just received a call from Replica Railways who are based in Swindon where I live to say the Bachmann A2 60533 Happy Knight I ordered is now in stock, picking it up tomorrow.

I will try to take a decent photo if I can and put it on the thread if we get some sunshine.

So it could take quite a while.

From what I here it's a great looking model.

Regards

David

Sugar Palm is also available.

offside handrail looks different !!

http://railsofsheffi...-JJJA16850.aspx

Apart from the unfortunate handrail (maybe not located well in staunchions and/or either end, or poorly assembled?) the drooping cab floor appears not to have been entirely fixed of the Rails of Sheffield sample.

I received my 'Happy Knight' late BR from Hattons a couple of days ago and it is an impressive model, no problems with handrails, nor cab floor on mine. Sorry I haven't fitted etched nameplates. With various A1s and A2s I have bought, the cab floor has been noticeably 'out' on more than half, so there is a degree of luck.

post-7929-0-78161300-1328733152.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Good Evening All

Today I collected from my local supplier the new Bachmann A2 60533 Happy Knight.

This is not the best photo I have taken but the side on view does show that Bachmann have over come some of the earlier problems with the first batch of A2's

My comments are as follows.

The loco runs very well, as do most of the new A2's,

The one I purchased seems to have lost that slope in the loco frame below the cab which makes it look out of line with the tender, this one looks quite straight.

They have now painted the tenders tops in the matching Brunswick Green and not black as the earlier models,

The hand rail on the side shown in the photo below does have a very slight kink in it but its hardly noticeable and the other side is dead straight,

It is a great looking model, my only criticism is that the printed name plates on the smoke deflector is right on the edge, again as you can see in the enclosed photo.

I can over come this by removing part of the outer line then moving the brass etched nameplate further forward when I fit it,

I did purchase 60537 Bachelors Button and I think that Happy Knight is a big improvement.

Please judge for yourselves, the loco in the photo is straight out of the box with none of the detailing pack fitted yet apart from some Springside lamps I have fitted on.

I do hope this is of use to anyone thinking about purchasing the new A2..

Regards

David

post-6557-0-71006700-1328733491_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Apart from the unfortunate handrail (maybe not located well in staunchions and/or either end, or poorly assembled?) the drooping cab floor appears not to have been entirely fixed of the Rails of Sheffield sample.

I received my 'Happy Knight' late BR from Hattons a couple of days ago and it is an impressive model, no problems with handrails, nor cab floor on mine. Sorry I haven't fitted etched nameplates. With various A1s and A2s I have bought, the cab floor has been noticeably 'out' on more than half, so there is a degree of luck.

post-7929-0-78161300-1328733152.jpg

Hi robmcg

That is a fantastic photo of the new Bachmann A2 Happy Knight.

Can I ask how do you produce such a realistic looking photo of a model complete with smoke.

Or is it a trade secret.

Regards

David

Hi David,

I use a Canon A620 point and shoot camera, average indirect daylight near a window (with curtains to vary the light) and an ordinary desk lamp in various angles and delayed release until I like a basic picture, then modify the picture quite a lot with Paint Shop Pro 6... quite an old program, painting my own sky etc... I have a 6' x 18" board with 4 ballasted tracks as a basic diorama, this stores behind the desk usually.

edit: The smoke is a mix of painting with mouse and paint tools, and fragments of copy-paste smoke from mostly my own photos from the 1960s. (New Zealand Railways heavy steam)

Someday I will build nearer-scale bullhead track and do the ballasting better!

Cheers,

Robbie

Edited by robmcg