Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

Hi Robbie

I am very much into railway photography photographing the real preserved steam myself with my own website.

Your description makes a little sense but I am lost with the use of Paint Shop Pro 6, I use Photoshop CS3 but not to the degree that you use paint shop.

Still I must say that's a fantastic effect you get, I hope to be able to produce something near one day.

Regards

David

• 4 months later...

Finally picked up a second Tudor Minstrel while at Railfest - a few questions,

1) Am I right in thinking the curly 6 on the cab is correct for 1949 as on Bachmann's model, but it may not be right for all of the A2s?

I am looking to model 60533 Happy Knight as she was in 1949, minus smokebox numberplate, with "Copley Hill" on the bufferbeam and can't, from the photograph, see if she has the curly 6 on the cab.

2) In the photograph I am working from, the numerals and letting on the bufferbeam appear unshaded, in cream (but this is a black and white photograph I am working from). However RCTS seems to indicate these would have been shaded black as per Bachmann's example. Is there any precedent for cream numerals/lettering as opposed unshaded on the A2s in their 1948/49 livery?

And finally...the example I picked up at Railfest is amazingly smooth. I had bought one of the same model previously - it has been converted into an A2/2 - and both show superior running qualities to the rest of my Pacific fleet I wasn't expecting. Just to say well done Bachmann for a job well done.

I've got onto the bandwagon by obtaining a finished Bachmann Blue Peter bodyshell, fully lined out, with nameplates.

Shall we see how long Mr. Bradwell takes before he relents and works on producing a sprung chassis kit, just as he did for the A1?

Meant to do this ages ago but never got around to it. Anyway here are a few images of my attempts at adding wire and pipe runs on a Bachmann A2. On inspection of the photos I need to touch up the paint work on the wires a bit and I still have to add a works plate but other than that 60528 is finished apart from crew and coal.

IMG 0759

IMG 0757

IMG 0765

IMG 0761

IMG 0763

Please excuse the poor quality pics - it looks better in real life! Rest of the photos are in my Gallery.

On a side note I have been shortening the drawbars on some Hornby A3 and A4 models which has made a massive improvement to their appearance. Was gonna set up a workbench for it all but didn't know if there would be any call for it...

Edit: Dam I think I have uploaded these wrong. Shouldn't be thumbnailed should they?!

Edited by Bettys Husband
  • Like 1

On a side note I have been shortening the drawbars on some Hornby A3 and A4 models which has made a massive improvement to their appearance. Was gonna set up a workbench for it all but didn't know if there would be any call for it...

Shortening the draw bar or moving the pin on the tender?

Several threads/articles on the latter but I would be interested in the former.

Especially if you have found an easier way of closing the gap.

Bernard

Finally picked up a second Tudor Minstrel while at Railfest - a few questions,

1) Am I right in thinking the curly 6 on the cab is correct for 1949 as on Bachmann's model, but it may not be right for all of the A2s?

I am looking to model 60533 Happy Knight as she was in 1949, minus smokebox numberplate, with "Copley Hill" on the bufferbeam and can't, from the photograph, see if she has the curly 6 on the cab.

2) In the photograph I am working from, the numerals and letting on the bufferbeam appear unshaded, in cream (but this is a black and white photograph I am working from). However RCTS seems to indicate these would have been shaded black as per Bachmann's example. Is there any precedent for cream numerals/lettering as opposed unshaded on the A2s in their 1948/49 livery?

And finally...the example I picked up at Railfest is amazingly smooth. I had bought one of the same model previously - it has been converted into an A2/2 - and both show superior running qualities to the rest of my Pacific fleet I wasn't expecting. Just to say well done Bachmann for a job well done.

A right old can of worms.

From what I can make out.

1. Curly 6 for 60533. But not for all the class. 60534 onward would have the normal straight 6.

But take care as there were different size numbers in use. 60533 having the larger.

2. The buffer beam number would have been painted rather than a transfer on 60527/8/31. I would think that this would be unshaded but as you say it is hard to tell from photos.

Bernard

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread

Just wanted to comment on Bachmann A2 developments.

Despite having devised petty decent fix to the sloping cab footplate on the initial releases of the A2s, the resultant cab-boiler gap and cab-cartazzi gap bugged me. Coupled with a distinctly upward inflection of the front of the running plate, these issues were impeding my enjoyment of the model

Having seen the quality of the 2012 A2s on here and in shops I decided to purchase Happy Knight, with the intention of renumbering to Blue Peter. Identical except for the smokebox door handrail

The model is truly fantastic, the first time in a long while I have had a loco from Bachmann that has not required adjustment in one way or another

A summary of the changes from 2010 to 2012 BR Green A2s:

It has already been noted on here that the green tender tops, green running boards, correctly unlined cylinders and horizontal cab floor (or rather modified cab front and Cartazzi height

The following changes have also been made which I have not seen comments on

• The green is a better shade – not quite as bright. It appears to have been toned down a bit. Coupled with finer orange lining on the boiler bands, and the improvement is significant. This does mean I can’t do a simple boiler swap to get a split-handrail 60532 smokebox door

• The running plate above the cylinders no longer has a ski-slope inflection up towards the front. Everything seems very true. I have see numerous first-batch A2s in the flesh at shops and most of them suffered from some slight distortion of the casting, Some very much worse than others

• Marker lights are no longer picked out in silver, they are plain black, which looks much better

• Return Crank appears to be in the correct position on BOTH SIDES of the loco - at long last

What they have not done is corrected the remaining glaring error, that the middle cylinder cover is set slightly too far back, with knock on implications for the profile of the front frame sections. I’m hoping Brassmasters will produce a detail etch that will correct this

However, the small changes that have been made are a huge improvement.

I agree with the comment earlier in this thread that the first batch seemed somewhat rushed. They have corrected errors that should not have gone into production in the first place. They have now proved they can do an excellent job with this model and deserve to be congratulated. Just a shame they didn’t manufacture replacement parts for those who bought faulty (i.e. not built to spec) models

Just before I resign myself to modifying the smokebox door, is it possible to remove the door or even complete smokebox from an A2, how well glued/how much force is needed?  I think the smokebox door on Blue Peter is stuck hard, so breaking the smokebox join might be the only option... Anyone butchered an A2 boiler and removed the smokebox in the process?

EDIT - comment about return crank

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the summary. I've only two Bachmann A2's presently, A Blue Peter, which is now Happy Knight, (awaiting a good amount of New England grime) and a Batchelors Button which was converted to an A2/3 by Tim Easter and documented elsewhere on the site.

I've been considering further  A2 models - to Model York's Sugar Palm and another couple to be converted to A2/3 and A2/2. I think your posting has encouraged be to go ahead with it as I'd been dissappoined by the livery of the A2's I had.

If its any help, and on the basis that good models can sometimes flock together, certainly when it comes to final assembly, I got my 60533 from Hattons last week.

DaveW - did your A2/3 conversion involve removing the smokebox? (see my comment above)

If its any help, and on the basis that good models can sometimes flock together, certainly when it comes to final assembly, I got my 60533 from Hattons last week.

DaveW - did your A2/3 conversion involve removing the smokebox? (see my comment above)

It did, smoke box can be very easily removed - I had to to lower the smoke box number plate. I think on one of the models done for Peterborough North a split hand rail model was converted to single - I'll be doing that on my Happy Knight in due course and adding the pipe runs that are absent.

I think Ian Harper did somthing similar earlier in this thread to a couple of his models

HTH

Edited by davidw

In view of the discussion about various shortcomings as well as the fine qualities of Bachmann's A2, here is a TMC-weathered 60533 'Happy Knight'.

Dunno why the blower would be on while the engine is so apply supplied with steam, but it looks impressive.

The weathering is nice, somewhat New England-shed-like.

Apologies to those who have seen this before.

post-7929-0-17413300-1370212762.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Not proper New England weathering, if it was, you wouldn't be able to see the paint, cabside numbers etc.

This one is obviously not long out of works, but is getting there with the 34E look!

Another grand photo by the way and I've had to seriously restrain myself from 60533 as it's one of the few non Scottish A2's!

• 2 weeks later...

Cabside type faces - Bachmann's BR A2 typeface (certainly for Blue Peter) seems to be the normal size for ER locomotives. However I note from pics of 60532 that the numbers on the cab appear slightly smaller. This said, some picturs show it with 'normal' size cabside numbers

Small numbers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64712556@N08/8563174650/in/photolist-e3Gvuf-4hPXby-4hKRnk-4f3ose-4hPWWy-4hPX1h-4AXc5j

normal numbers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/2480558831/sizes/o/

Is anyone able to suggest the size of the smaller numbers, and which transfers would be suitable?

Certainly in preservation she carried the smaller numbers. They appear to be the same size as the numbers Tornado carried in Apple Green (which are also smaller than the figures she had in Brunswick or BR Blue).

...Dunno why the blower would be on while the engine is so apply supplied with steam, but it looks impressive...

She's been called up at short notice and the fireman has been quickly building up a body of fire (thus all the black somoke), adequate for the 600 tons she will shortly be hauling while succeeding in recovering to schedule. The safety valves had only just lifted before the phot was taken, probably the roar jerked the shutter finger into action: had they been going a while the vapour cloud would have been much higher and broader.

• 4 months later...

In the face of Hattons offer price on 'Irish Elegance', I folded on my plan to wait for either 'Bronzino' or 'Velocity' to appear in d/c late crest form. Very neatly assembled bodywork, none of the droopy cab footplating or slight gaps between cab boiler and running plate seen on some of the first releases. Good quiet runner too, but pick up clearly not all it might be as it stuttered at dead slow.

Interesting fault on the chassis, discovered while the model was in pieces for extra weighting and adjustment of springing. The hole to take the leading driver spring plunger was much too deep - the spring couldn't reach the bottom of the hole - and gummed up with grease, such that this axle was up against the chassis recesses with no sprung action at all. Easy enough to rectify, but might have caused frustration to those who don't dismantle their toys immediately on receipt. With a positive spring action on this axle, the pick up is now all it should be.

• RMweb Premium

In the face of Hattons offer price on 'Irish Elegance', I folded on my plan to wait for either 'Bronzino' or 'Velocity' to appear in d/c late crest form. Very neatly assembled bodywork, none of the droopy cab footplating or slight gaps between cab boiler and running plate seen on some of the first releases. Good quiet runner too, but pick up clearly not all it might be as it stuttered at dead slow.

Interesting fault on the chassis, discovered while the model was in pieces for extra weighting and adjustment of springing. The hole to take the leading driver spring plunger was much too deep - the spring couldn't reach the bottom of the hole - and gummed up with grease, such that this axle was up against the chassis recesses with no sprung action at all. Easy enough to rectify, but might have caused frustration to those who don't dismantle their toys immediately on receipt. With a positive spring action on this axle, the pick up is now all it should be.

Thank you for this; my A2 has always been a very quiet and reliable runner, but like yours, not quite 100% in picking up current.  I didn't realise the front axle was intended to be sprung, but on investigation, although the plunger wasn't jammed, the spring was exerting no downward pressure.  I dropped a couple of small nuts (10BA?) into the hole.  The spring now does what it should do, and 60533 is now a lot happier!

• 4 weeks later...

I have made another 'discovery' while messing about with weighting my newer A2. I had been pleased to find that the ballast weight in the front of boiler and smokebox wasn't actually necessary to hold boiler and running plate casting together at the front end. It turns out that what was holding these together were the push fit mouldings representing the steampipe covers. Easily enough relocated, but I have now put a self tapper into the new lead ballast weight so that the clamping function of the original screw attached ballast weight is restored.