Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

• RMweb Premium

People seem to be missing a trick with this model. OK, the real thing ran on the LNER from grouping to nationalisation in various versions and liveries.

But 251 is "as preserved" and is therefore truly a "modern image" model. More than it is a "pre-grouping" one.

Any modeller has only got to use a little of the old modellers license to say that 251 has been put back in steam for use on specials.

So it is entirely suitable, accepting a few minor variations in appearance and tweaks of history (which we can be very good at coping with), for a modelling period of well over 100 years. 

That is considerably more than nearly all the current crop of RTR models.

Plus it is beautiful and lovely and I want one!

Tony

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1

Locomotion, the National Railway Museum in Shildon has today (19 November, 2014) made available the latest pictures of their new exclusive edition model railway locomotive based on the National Railway Museum’s “Ivatt” large Atlantic locomotive. Also announced is weathered version of BR No. 62822 available for the “National Collection in Miniature” series first C1 Atlantic production run.

The 00 gauge ‘Exclusive Edition’ represents the National Railway Museum’s Great Northern Railway locomotive No. 251 currently resident at Locomotion in Shildon and its sister locomotive 62822 in British Railways livery.

It features a heavy boiler weight and has a 21 PIN decoder socket fitted. It also has provision for fitting a sound decoder.

There will be four versions of the exclusive edition produced:

Great Northern Railway No. 251 (preserved livery) available for £179.00;

London North Eastern Railway No. 3251 (apple green livery) available for £179.00;

British Railways No. 62822 (black pristine livery) available for £179.00;

San Ivatt2.jpg

 British Railways No. 62822 (black weathered livery) available for £189.00.

San Ivatt1.jpg

The team behind Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon’s online enterprise www.locomotionmodels.com are working with world class model railway manufacturers Bachmann Europe PLC to produce the new models.

• Like 9

I hope this doesn't come across as carping, but having spent part of the morning leafing through books looking for detail differences in the ones I'm building:

I can't see a whistle or top lamp iron

The atomiser pipe - I can't find any examples which have one on both sides

Did 62822 have tail rods that late?

62822's handrails stopped short of the smokebox front and it had a prominent stop on the smokebox hinge.

62822 also had two very prominent rows of rivets or bolts above the atomiser pipe.

The weathered one doesn't seem to have cabside sight screens.

Are these preproduction or prototype builds?

• Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken that isn't just shadow below the rear portion of the running plate. The apparent gap between the tops of the frames (looking rather widely spaced) and the underside of the running plate is most unwelcome. It almost looks as if the rear frames form some sort of old-model-technology separate waggling truck.

Bogie wheels too small also?

The dome shape and the not-over-fattened smokebox are certainly an improvement on the DJH items.

I'm not sure how we could have teak coaches that merely sport GNR livery, they'd have to be totally new coach models rather than just a retro-livery for the current production RTR teaks.

• RMweb Premium

Re- the GNR teaks, I agree, I assumed that GNR Dave meant newly tooled coaches.  The GNR coaches while sharing some similarities are very different in detail to the LNER versions.  Even the curved roof end profiles are different

Edited by Andy Hayter

• RMweb Premium

Unless I'm mistaken that isn't just shadow below the rear portion of the running plate. The apparent gap between the tops of the frames (looking rather widely spaced) and the underside of the running plate is most unwelcome. It almost looks as if the rear frames form some sort of old-model-technology separate waggling truck.

Surely that shouldn't be necessary?  It doesn't need to be any different from a 4-6-0 in model terms, just with the rear carrying axle unpowered, and given some vertical play so that it doesn't take any tractive weight off the drivers.  I can see what you mean, though.

Unless I'm mistaken that isn't just shadow below the rear portion of the running plate. The apparent gap between the tops of the frames (looking rather widely spaced) and the underside of the running plate is most unwelcome. It almost looks as if the rear frames form some sort of old-model-technology separate waggling truck.Bogie wheels too small also?The dome shape and the not-over-fattened smokebox are certainly an improvement on the DJH items.I'm not sure how we could have teak coaches that merely sport GNR livery, they'd have to be totally new coach models rather than just a retro-livery for the current production RTR teaks.

I think the body is just not sat properly, the photos of the GNR version further back seem to show no gap

One thing to remember are these two models are the pre production samples and not the finished model. The 'real, one will be so much better but the paintwork on the samples is top notch. I have them with me ready to go in the display case tomorrow morning. Stand E22. Call by and say hello then I can put a face to all the wired names!

• RMweb Gold

One thing to remember are these two models are the pre production samples and not the finished model. The 'real, one will be so much better but the paintwork on the samples is top notch. I have them with me ready to go in the display case tomorrow morning. Stand E22. Call by and say hello then I can put a face to all the wired names!

See you tomorrow S - I've even got my floor plan of the show marked up so I know where to find you!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think you mistyped the last sentence there Sandra.  Did you mean: "... put a weird face to all the names"?  :jester: