Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

On looking at that image of the loco in LNER livery I'm tempted to comment that it would be nice if Locomotion were to INSIST that Bachmann produce this loco WITHOUT the endemic drooping rear running plate. Evidence of the droop, which bedevils their LNER Pacifics, is there to see in that photo......

Buffers a bit too big too?

Edited by gr.king

Guest spet0114

On looking at that image of the loco in LNER livery I'm tempted to comment that it would be nice if Locomotion were to INSIST that Bachmann produce this loco WITHOUT the endemic drooping rear running plate. Evidence of the droop, which bedevils their LNER Pacifics, is there to see in that photo......

Buffers a bit too big too?

More than tempted, it appears...

Bachmann list this model as 'in production' so pointing out faults in a photo of a pre-production model is now a pretty pointless activity. The die has been cast and we will get what we get.

Incidentally, Bachmann have been making LNER pacifics for over a decade (all presumably 'bedevilled' with this problem) and the photos of the atlantics have been on the Locomotion website for several months. Would it not be reasonable to wonder why it has only just come to light?

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by spet0114

I believe (but correct me if I'm wrong) that the droopy footplate only affected early batches of their Pacifics. Hopefully this is only affecting the samples and if so it will not detract from production items.

Rhys

More than tempted, it appears...

Bachmann list this model as 'in production' so pointing out faults in a photo of a pre-production model is now a pretty pointless activity. The die has been cast and we will get what we get.

Incidentally, Bachmann have been making LNER pacifics for over a decade (all presumably 'bedevilled' with this problem) and the photos of the atlantics have been on the Locomotion website for several months. Would it not be reasonable to wonder why it has only just come to light?

Cheers

Adrian

Had I seen the latest LNER version's droopy image sooner, I'd have commented sooner. The recent updates on this thread had escaped my attention. I don't spend all of my time monitoring RMWeb as full time work, along with model making rather than just talking about it, leave me with limited web-watching opportunities.

Only just come to light? No. I've had to mess about with adjustment of the sagging rear end of the running plate on every Bachmann Peppercorn Pacific that has passed through my hands.

when will the LNER and GNR versions be in stock ?

The BR Black versions are due last week in March so I should get all those pre orders fulfilled by the 31st.

I plan on locking myself in a cupboard until I get them all wrapped. Plenty of tea and chocolate will keep me going so all contributions to the choccy stash greatly appreciated.!

The lner and 251 will follow on but I don't know the date for that yet.

• Like 1

.... I've had to mess about with adjustment of the sagging rear end of the running plate on every Bachmann Peppercorn Pacific that has passed through my hands.

All my Pepp A1's likewise, all these were purchased 10 or more years ago. The two Pepp A2s I have are trouble free however, so it can be done right... Tangential to the C1 in any case, we'll have to see what we get, and then possibly fiddle with them -  it's going to be way superior to the WSM kit I sweated over in the dim and distant past. But first I have a Hornby J15 to tinker with and hide the boiler join...

• 3 weeks later...

The BR Black versions are due last week in March so I should get all those pre orders fulfilled by the 31st.

I plan on locking myself in a cupboard until I get them all wrapped. Plenty of tea and chocolate will keep me going so all contributions to the choccy stash greatly appreciated.!

Any news yet?

Yours,

Waiting-with-hope.

• RMweb Gold

I was intrigued to note in Simon Kohler's latest blog, that he's awaiting this release with some anticipation,

and appears to have some input into the launch.

Bachmann's in house research into the C1 is encyclopeadic,compiled and collated by their design team. With regard to its marketing,he is of course on hand in an advisory capacity. He was not however at its launch last July. Graham Hubbard,Dennis Lovett and others ,together with Brian Greenwood and the redoubtable Sandra of Locomotion fronted that.

The Nim.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi. It's the LNER one which I have on pre-order, and the one on display at Ally Pally looks really good to me, and I look forward to getting it in due course. I shall put some real coal into the tender.

All the best,

Market65.

Chimney too far back for a superheated version?

Droopy slidebars?

Nice livery overall.

And before anybody gets all flustered about the lateness of my remarks, I WOULD have queried the chimney position much earlier had an image that showed it adequately on the LNER version been released......

If necessary I can change the chimney position anyway. Nicer to have it right at source, given the price though.

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Gold

I wondered about the slidebars too Graeme but having looked at a few photographs of the real thing there does seem to be a slight downward slope.  Since none of the photographs are side-on I can't say I'm 100% convinced but so far I'm leaning (ha ha) towards a slight slope being correct.

An example: http://www.train-photos.com/picture/number3910.asp

I wonder if the angle is slightly out on the model or if we're seeing photographic distortion?

Looking again at Coldgunner's photo: I wonder if the slidebar 'unit' is not properly located since the plastic piece doesn't look vertical.

Do you have any convincing images of the real thing?

No idea about the chimney.  How far out do you think it is?

Edited by teaky

Guest spet0114

And before anybody gets all flustered about the lateness of my remarks, I WOULD have queried the chimney position much earlier had an image that showed it adequately on the LNER version been released......

If necessary I can change the chimney position anyway. Nicer to have it right at source, given the price though.

Not flustered Graeme, but I do still wonder why you persist in pointing out structural flaws in the decoration samples, which by their nature are only representative of the colour scheme and may have physical differences to the models that we eventually receive.

As the model is 'in production' (Bachmann's words) and with the first batch of BR liveried locos arriving imminently (Locomotion, paraphrased), the time for altering the moulds, and hence the final models is long-passed. Wouldn't it be better to save up these thoughts until we know what we're dealing with?

Incidentally, if you look back at post #341, you'll see a engineering prototype of either the LNER or BR version that shows the chimney positioning quite well. I'm no expert, but it looks about right to me.

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by spet0114

Centre of chimney should be only 1mm aft of the mid-point of the smokebox. Even in post 341, to which you have drawn my attention, it appears to have been modelled noticeably further back.

It certainly looks right on the saturated version - well to the rear of the smokebox, precisely over the mid-point of the bogie.

Ok...may take me a day or two longer...

Chimney too far back for a superheated version?

Droopy slidebars?

Nice livery overall...

If the slidebars prove not quite as well aligned on the crank axle as they should be (same sort of trouble as on the ROD / O4) it is a simple adjustment if the production model needs it. The all important aspects, looks like a C1, tidily liveried, hopefully has a good mechanism; and the cramped wheelbase which should make some enthusiastic tail wagging possible wehn running all fill me with enthusiasm at the prospect.

What with the O2 and J50 to come, it's a boGNaGNza!

• Like 2