Railscene videos

hoovered

I cannot give you a history I'm afraid. Railscene produced a lot of videos in the 1980's and 90's. A lot covered diesel cab rides but there were others on mainline steam. I think Geremy English was in charge then and we often met when filming in North Wales. He is still into "video's" although these days they'll be DVD's....smile.gif .

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I bought a Railscene video at a local carboot sale for £1, the seller said it played Ok , and it did !!!.

What's the story behind these videos and are they available on DVD?.

I think these started about 1984, with a magazine format, i.e. a right pot-pourri of items, including modern image news, steam and diesel excursions, and preserved lines. Several colleagues bought the first dozen or so as they emerged. They were well-made and exhibited professional production values. If yours is one of these you got good value indeed!

• RMweb Premium

I made a brief apperance in the Autumn/winter 1988/89 Edition. unvailing Electra at Basingstoke and at the Winchfield 150 event the following weekend ......... 22 years ago blink.gif . I've still got the video in the loft somewhere.

I made a brief apperance in the Autumn/winter 1988/89 Edition. unvailing Electra at Basingstoke and at the Winchfield 150 event the following weekend ......... 22 years ago blink.gif . I've still got the video in the loft somewhere.

Ooh you filmstar you. Can I have your autograph?laugh.gif tongue.gif

Guest Belgian

Ramrig -

Gosh! I don't remember you by your moniker - did I really film you???!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to those who have posted kind comments - Railscene ran into the early 2000s when increasing ineptitude and lack of new items to film led to its becoming an annual rather than a periodical release. There hasn't been a new release since 2003, as I have turned my attention to contract work including the production of a series of programmes for military modellers, some of which would be of interest to railway enthusiasts, notably the airbrushing techniques by a brilliant artist named Geoff Ilsley. They were released under the generic tile of "Expert Model Craft" on DVD and were aimed at the American market although with British modellers featured in the programmes.

Most Railscenes have been re-released on DVD by Kingfisher Films and are available from The Signal Box of Ansty in Leicestershire.

Jeremy English

Just had a look at the Signal Box site, I'll have to go through them and decide which ones I want.

Also had a look on Evilbay, I can only see two videos, one of which is more than a DVD.

Thanks for the help Jeremy.

ps,

The copy I have is No23.

• RMweb Premium

Ramrig -

Gosh! I don't remember you by your moniker - did I really film you???!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy English

Yep, along with charlie Petty, my good lady wife and others we were on Basingstoke Station when Gerald Daniels? (BR Southern region) gave a speach and we pulled the 'curtain' back to reveal 27000 Electra in green for the first time. this was in the bay platform along with 1505 (27001) Ariadne from the Manchester Museum. I've got the pictures still somewhereblink.gif . They both stayed there for the following week before 27000 took part in the Winchfield Cavalcades. 1505 was not allowed to take part in the cavalcades due to the clearances from the brake rigging to the live rail blink.gif . something about tyre wear compared to Electra if I remember correctly.

Ramrig

Guest Belgian

I bought a Railscene video of a Chester-Holyhead cabride but the bit where I was standing near Rhyl wasn't included....sad.gif

. . . probably a tape change Larry!

JE

• RMweb Gold

Yep, along with charlie Petty, my good lady wife and others we were on Basingstoke Station when Gerald Daniels? (BR Southern region) gave a speach and we pulled the 'curtain' back to reveal 27000 Electra in green for the first time.

Gerald Daniels was a career railwayman who I first encountered as Assistant SM at London Bridge about 1970. He progressed into senior roles as an Area Manager on the South Western and made a name for himself with very successful enthusiast/community promotions of this sort. I seem to recall a similar mega-fest with steam at Yeovil. I think he was also involved with the Coastal Cruising Association, and had some connection with a travel agency - Crookham Travel. Not seen or heard of him in 20 years or more. I think he and Les Dench authored a work called "Passengers No More" listing and detailing closed stations.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, along with charlie Petty, my good lady wife and others we were on Basingstoke Station when Gerald Daniels? (BR Southern region) gave a speach and we pulled the 'curtain' back to reveal 27000 Electra in green for the first time. this was in the bay platform along with 1505 (27001) Ariadne from the Manchester Museum. I've got the pictures still somewhereblink.gif . They both stayed there for the following week before 27000 took part in the Winchfield Cavalcades. 1505 was not allowed to take part in the cavalcades due to the clearances from the brake rigging to the live rail blink.gif . something about tyre wear compared to Electra if I remember correctly.

Ramrig

Found the tape out last night. Railscene 17. Winter 1988/89. picture of Royal Albert Bridge at Saltash on the cover. Watched a bit this morning, brought back a few memoriesblink.gif 22 years ago next monthohmy.gif and no kids back then either!!!!!laugh.gif

Strangely enough, DougN and I went to a swap meet today and on the videos bench, lo and behold, there was Railscene 17! I already have Railscenes 1 to 28, all on video but would love to transfer them to DVD. I have the capabilty to do this but it is a rather time-consuming process, especially if I want to add chapter points and menus.

Guest Belgian

I disposed of all my videos containing 'modern image' and mainline steam, and so the only Railscene productions I have are the Cam Camwell videos. I'm still looking to fill some of the gaps and wondered if they are still available?

If you mean the Cam programmes, I have recently re-edited them with some additional material for release at Christmas time by Railfilms (Nick Dodson), so keep a lookout for these - all on DVD.

JE

Guest Belgian

Gerald Daniels was a career railwayman who I first encountered as Assistant SM at London Bridge about 1970. He progressed into senior roles as an Area Manager on the South Western and made a name for himself with very successful enthusiast/community promotions of this sort. I seem to recall a similar mega-fest with steam at Yeovil. I think he was also involved with the Coastal Cruising Association, and had some connection with a travel agency - Crookham Travel. Not seen or heard of him in 20 years or more. I think he and Les Dench authored a work called "Passengers No More" listing and detailing closed stations.

Gerry Daniels was also a great enthusiast. He organised a side-by-side running of "City of Wells" and an Inspection Saloon on the double-track part of the "Mule" (the Salisbury to Exeter main line) onto which he invited me and a few others to film the steamer on the parallel line from Templecombe to Yeovil Junction in 1987. I calculated that the Bulleid was doing quite a high speed down the bank to Sherborne, as it overtook our train which was hauled by a class 33 running flat out!

He took many superb steam photos on the Southern Region in the 50s and 60s, many of which appear in books by Michael Welch.

JE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have Railscene videos 1 to 27,the 3 Railscale videos, GW 150, Mallard The fastest of them all and Railtours 1 to 8. I must admit that Jeremy (Belgian) sounded like he was loosing his voice as he narrated Railscene video No.1. Nigel Farrell was the best narrator in my opinion. Peter Egan sounded too posh and Ken Morgan although good his voice could get a little annoying after a while.

What a great pity that there were only 3 Railscale videos. I've transferred all of mine to DVD which is simple if you have a video/DVD recorder combo.

I also have the entire Ivo Peters collection which came on video but has now been transferred to DVD.

The only thing that was missing from Railscene was the outtakes of which there must have been loads.

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

I bought a Railscene video at a local carboot sale for £1, the seller said it played Ok , and it did !!!.

What's the story behind these videos and are they available on DVD?.

hi all i am new to this web site so if i make a mess of it i am sorry ok. 

just been reading about the railscene i have down loaded about 34 files all to do with railscene 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have quite a few of them, I used to buy Beta copies.

I remember showing some Railscene cameramen a good place to film from on the Ultimate Great Western Weekend on the Glos Warwicks Railway, Greet tunnel Defiant and City Of Truro double heading.

I was staggering around with a Sony F1

Archived