Jump to content

Grimly Feendish

Members
  • Posts

    133
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Location
    Chile
  • Interests
    BR Blue era,
    Status Quo

Recent Profile Visitors

392 profile views

Grimly Feendish's Achievements

90

Reputation

  1. Nice job! I had one of these when I was about 13 or 14. It was my first white metal kit. Once I opened the box I was so dissapointed! I had expected it to fit together like an Airfix kit. I think I made a reasonable go of it in the end. IIRC I used car body filler to fix the gaps because that was the only kind of filler I knew of,
  2. Nice work James, very impressive. I'm not familiar with that software, I need to have a look at it. Did you have to do much work to get that functionality? Is it built in or did you have to write scripts, for example? Are you modelling a location or is it freelance? Thanks, John.
  3. Non-corridor compartments were useful for courting couples, if you could get one to yourselves. I have happy memories of the 23:57 (IIRC) from London Liverpool Street which the now Mrs Feendish and I caught to Upminster. This would have been in the early-eighties. I can't say more on a family site.
  4. 45 141 was the last peak I needed for the 'class'. Even pictures of it seem relatively rare. Thanks for posting. John.
  5. HI Mark, I've just rediscovered this thread. You've captured the essence of Shrewsbury very nicely. It took me back to the many happy hours I spent spotting there as a kid in the '70s. Merry Christmas, John.
  6. Hi Mike, just curious, why did the Western prefer to work in sets? Was there any operational advantage or was it just felt to be the correct way to do things? Thanks, John.
  7. Another vote for Tam Valley hex frog juicers here. I've used them on peco 'n' scissors crossovers. Servos used for point motors. It makes wiring very easy. I'd use them again for sure. John.
  8. Looks great! What are you using for the bogies? Thanks, John.
  9. Hi David, Love the Ironbridge/Coalbrookdale pictures. The inclined plane is know as the Hay inclined plane, it's now part of the Blists Hill museum. I'm pretty sure J4243 is at the site of the old blast furnaces, in the grounds of what is now the Enginuity exhibition. If I'm right I believe my uncle (who's now in his 90's) used to get to drive it when he was a teenager. Kind of a cab ride on steroids I guess! I really enjoy your pictures. Thanks for sharing, John.
  10. I really like the layout - the track plan is simple but very effective. I was building a "watch the trains go by" model of Twyford in N before a job change and country relocation put a stop to that. I was wondering what track you used? It looks good. Cheers, John.
  11. Very nice! I'm guessing the Farish Mk1's are the earlier Poole type?
  12. The signal look very good, what make are they? Thanks, John.
  13. Hi Mark, unfortunately I've had to put this on hold for a while. We moved house and will be moving again in a few weeks, It will be a while until I can get back to modelling Cheers, John.
  14. Next installment... Here is the end plug added and the roof and joints filled. And here are the DMBS and TC getting ready for priming. The TC ends are masked because I want to keep the factory printing if I can. At this point a couple of things were dawning on me. First, I wasn't happy with the way the etched sides looked. Nothing to do with the etches themselves, everything to do with the way I stuck them on. You can see the huge gap between the etch and the roof. Also the way the etch was stuck to the side was not robust. The cyano could not tolerate any bending of the plastic side. So I removed the sides, rubbed them down again and reapplied, paying more attention to the fit and using a thinner cyano. This resulted in a better fit, but is still not robust. At least now I am careful in handling it and it's surviving so far. I know I have to do something with the roof of the TC too. Second, on the DBMS I managed to get the roof profile reasonably acurate, but there is an unsightly gap between the two roof sections. I'm hoping that with judicious weathering it might not be too noticeable. You might get an idea from this photo, which shows the roof alongside the body after priming. I decided on a different approach for converting the second 121. I would slice off the cab and put on an end plug as before, but would keep the roof in one piece and build up the profile at that end with filler, as shown below. I am much happier with this approach. The two are shown together below. Both have had a few rounds of filling and rubbing down since this shot. I don't have pics for that yet. I'm sure you have noticed that as it stands, I'll have 2 DMBSs and 0 DMS. Since I struggled with the etched sides I'm tempted to keep it that way. I think I would rather have an incorrect consist than risk the look of me bodging the etched DMS sides on. I am not convinced I can get the joint between the etched sides and the Dapol cab looking decent. Anyhow, that brings us up to date. It'll be a while before I can get back to some modelling, but I'll post when I have something to show. Cheers, John.
  15. No I hadn't. It's certainly a thought. My CAD skills aren't great though. I've 3d printed my own servo mounts for turnout control, which was fun. In the end I found it was more reliable to use proprietary ones, since they worked better.
×
×
  • Create New...