Confessions of a Canton goods guard

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Excellent .

Just Johnsternory on the telly now and I reckon you've cracked it!

Mike.

I used to be in a band that did some tv work.  No thanks, horrible people, where's your AK47 when you want it?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Read this whilst waiting at Ninian Park in the rain for 37403 to get the road back into the station after a jaunt up to Cwmbargoed.......most appropriate really! Very enjoyable @The Johnster 

Regards

Guy

• Like 1

Really looking forward to reading these tales. 

Love to read about how the Railway was run in the period I model. 

I knew about swinging the billy can around and have seen it done. 

Yes it is an excellent brewing method for tea. 

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant Johnster,

This has to be the start of a book, something reminiscience of Mike Higston's "London Midland Fireman", it's invaluable to lovers of railway history.....and us muddlers!!!................. Love it!!.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

These writings are quite wonderful, especially with the sites' descriptions and details.  Perhaps others here might be persuaded to set their memories to type as well...  Please can someone ensure they will be invulnerable to the photo-wiping lurgi striking?  Look forward to the next episode a.s.a.p.  Thank you for going to all this trouble.

• Agree 4

Surprised you did not nip across to get a Clark’s pie. Only once did I drive around Ferry road and Clive street before all the redevelopment. Just wished I had a camera at the time. Keep up the recollections they are fascinating.

Keith

@The Johnster This is exactly the type of thread that could be a blog rather than a post.

With a blog each of your entries will be seperated and visible to anyone who looks at it, any comments on each blog entry will be at the bottom so that the pure reminiscing from yourself remains front and centre and doesn't get drowned by others comments.

Before you get too far into this, have a think about the format.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/03/2023 at 13:58, ikks said:

Brilliant Johnster,

This has to be the start of a book, something reminiscience of Mike Higston's "London Midland Fireman", it's invaluable to lovers of railway history.....and us muddlers!!!................. Love it!!.

Mike

Remember, you read it here first. :)

• RMweb Gold

Ok, I'll start the next installment as a blog, you're right, it is more manageable there. 

For Peter K, most of the track mentioned in the North Curve installment is still there.  Now called the 'City Line', the Radyr Quarry line as we knew it ran to the south of Canton shed, 'Penarth North Curve' or just North Curve, forming the northern chord of a triangle, with the East Curve being the Barry Railway's 'Cardiff Extension' and the South Curve being the original TVR Penarth Branch from Radyr Jc.  The Penarth Harbour Branch, not quite the same thing, ran from this to what was generally known as Ely Harbour, wharves on the Ely River originally serving coal hoists, but by my time these had gone and the area was the Esso tank farm.  It ran in a dead straight line from Grangetown Jc to the wharves. 

Ely Paper Mill occupied a large site between Ely Bridge on Cowbridge Road and the curve of the TVR branch.  The TVR Penarth Branch runs parallel to the SWML for a distance between Ninian Park Halt and the curve that takes it over the SWML, and the gf to access the sidings was situated at the point this curve begins.  You can see the North Curve junction about a mile away from that point, as the track ran straight, along an embankment.

Hope that explains matters as my scanner is kaput.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I'll start the next installment as a blog, you're right, it is more manageable there. 

Could you please copy the first three instalments to the blog, so it's all together for future reference?

• Agree 2