Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Sadly no class 50 in the real station on Saturday, not even a 60 or a 66 for that matter - just 170s and a Voyager.

The Skegness train was in Nottingham when I arrived on my way to Burton on Trent, it's not like it used to be either, a pacer lash up cannot replace a couple of class 20s.

Depends what time you were there? A DB Tug passed through while I was there with a tank train from Kingsbury.

Cheers

Wayne

Indeed! If it was drafted in by Trainload Coal they must have been feeling generous to spare a type 5, it also appeared to have an item missing from it's train in the form of a brake van - a class 56 is train air brake only.  ;)

I know I'm picky but I like to see prototypical operation including correct marshalling of trains, it's always something I aim for.

Cheers

Wayne

Lol.

Somehow I do seem to struggle keeping things prototypically correct.

post-7252-0-24111600-1528301402.jpg

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

• 3 months later...

I don't know how I managed to miss this layout before. It's amazing Cav. I have just skimmed through the last few photos and videos during my lunch break and all I could think was WOW. The amount of detail you've got into an N gauge layout is amazing and I like how much interest you've made without an over complicated or cluttered layout. Brilliant modelling.

All the best

Dave

Thats Dave glad to have you on board. Still got a bit to do on the layout (not had much modelling time of late) but should have some interesting changes especially operating wise come the show season at the beginning of next year.

• RMweb Premium

I like how much interest you've made without an over complicated or cluttered layout.

It's one of the advantages of modelling a real location. With a freelance layout it is too tempting to squeeze too much into it, making a cluttered and unrealistic appearance.

Agreed Ian. Whenever I do a model I try to imagine it as a real location and work out the back story before ever laying a track. I really am not a fan of layouts covered in miles of track with yards and junctions all over the place.

Agreed Ian. Whenever I do a model I try to imagine it as a real location and work out the back story before ever laying a track. I really am not a fan of layouts covered in miles of track with yards and junctions all over the place.

........and it's cheap :D

• 2 months later...

Hi,

More questions about track if you don't mind. I fully understand your thoughts and what you have put in to practice. What are your thoughts on the products being marketed as British Finescale? I am thinking ahead to my next layout after Shirebrook. Would you consider using British Finescale for a future layout? If i go down the route of hand made track, I will be following prototype and continuing curves through diamonds and plain turnouts, except of course in the area of the crossings and v's. I have made track before in EM

Hi Duncan, I'm not sure that what I have done can be marketable as a product really, its more a set of standards using handbuilt track from components.

FiNetrax has tried to market a system of finer track to N gauge standards which looks great however I do feel that because it has to conform to N gauge standards the crossing V clearances are still quite course.

On my N2 system I use the 9.42mm gauge for plain track which looks nice whilst gradually reducing it to 8.85mm at the location of the V to allow standard N wheelsets to pass. You can't see the transition in gauge by eye but the flangeways look much finer and work much better than standard N. The wheels are supported the whole way though the V and you can't actually feel any drop when you push a wagon over the V with your finger. Of course because its handbuilt you can do your track geometry as a comoletely custom design including the curved diamonds etc.

I will certainly be keeping an eye on what you do next.

• Like 1