Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

Just received an email from Oxford Rail which says that the late BR 30583 will be released next week at £99.95.  If it has, as appears from the preview photos, some detail issues, and most importantly for me no 'daylight' under the boiler I will be waiting for the Hornby one.

Fortunately I'm only interested in the LSWR version, and I guess by the time that comes out all the failings will be well examined.  A shame if Oxford have missed the mark on such an important release as I think it would have been good for the market to have a new manufacturer of high specification models to challenge Hornby/Bachmann, etc.

For some I guess the price differential will be important enough to garner sufficient sales for Oxford, and it may well turn out to be a reliable and excellent runner.  We shall see.

Interestingly Kernow have all the Radials listed with images, admittedly NOT photographs, showing daylight under the boiler, and priced at £84.95, some £35.00 cheaper.  Dear me the plot thickens...................

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps this is unfair but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the images of the Oxford Rail version I have recently viewed online and will wait until the Hornby version arrives

Judging from Oxfords own photos, if it was painted yellow, you'd be right in thinking it's a flying banana - with that curved running plate and cabside wings (sorry handrails)  :jester:

• Like 2

I thought they look very nice.

These pics are Rails' versions, vignette and a little track added, nothing else.

Cheers

Edited by Andy Y
Images removed - copyright issue (and it's a different manufacturer).

Perhaps this is unfair but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the images of the Oxford Rail version I have recently viewed online and will wait until the Hornby version arrives

Are you talking about the image on Muz's page and the pics in Rails' ad?

I think it looks great, fine detail all there, cylinder drains on fine mouldings, and the lack of light under the boiler, well, it's barely noticeable on prototype photos.

But as Andy points out, it's not a subject for a Hornby thread,  or is it?

• RMweb Gold

Look at those handrail knobs!!!!!!@@@!!!

Though more expensive and not until next year but I am glad I decided to wait for Hornbys Radial. To my eyes a superior product to Oxfords.

Rob.

post-14122-0-95052400-1448730681_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are you talking about the image on Muz's page and the pics in Rails' ad?

I think it looks great, fine detail all there, cylinder drains on fine mouldings, and the lack of light under the boiler, well, it's barely noticeable on prototype photos.

But as Andy points out, it's not a subject for a Hornby thread,  or is it?

As I have just seen both Oxford and Hornby versions at the NEC,I stand by my original decision. I will wait.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos of the Adams Radial taken today at Warley. I think the Hornby version looks good, they have got the bend over the smokebox door looking more like the real thing which helps the front view. the LSWR coaches looked absolutely fabulous.

best wishes

Godfrey

post-138-0-84435600-1448834513_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-57977900-1448834539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godfrey Glyn
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Hornby look to have got it spot on. Always my preferred option of the two producing Radials

I will wait.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos of the Adams Radial taken today at Warley. I think the Hornby version looks good, they have got the bend over the smokebox door looking more like the real thing which helps the front view. the LSWR coaches looked absolutely fabulous.

best wishes

Godfrey

Does this mean that the previous announcement of R3333 as 30584 in early BR plain black lettered British Railways has been changed or is this an extra version?

John

Looks fantastic, aside from the cab roof fitting bit a bit odd.

Also, slight mould seam a third of the way round the boiler (what happened to the prototypical top join we used to have on models?)

Wheels on 488 seem a little 'bright' compared to the rest of the loco body.

Aside, a wonderful recreation of an Adams Radial.... I will be ordering.

The front and rear bogie wheels capture the shape of the prototype very well, and quite a notable feature of the real thing.

• RMweb Gold

If only it were that simple.......I can see me buying five......3x Br...1x L&SWR and 1x SR.......bu@#er!!

Robbed...

Edited by nhy581

• 1 month later...

I don't know if others have missed this but on the Hornby website they are listing 30583, late BR livery (due 30/09/2016), and also of much more interest to me, an SR version, 3125 (due 30/09/2016), plus a 'Limited Edition' Lyme Regis Branch Line Train Pack, consisting of 30583, lined black, early crests, and ex-LSWR brake third, and a brake composite.  This last 'estimated' to arrive 31/08/2016.

It certainly seems that Hornby, perhaps following the Oxford Rail offering turning out to be less than perfect, are going flat out to offer all the combinations that one could want, though it's also interesting that the price is now proposed to be £124.99 for the locos, and £204.00 for the train pack.

• RMweb Gold

I think its reasonable to assume a rough figure of some £40.00 each.

Rob.

I wonder if on the finished article, Hornby will manage to get the chimney to "sit" a bit more convincingly on the smokebox? The photos of the samples at Warley all show the base of the chimney with a thick flange that doesn't look at all like the prototype. They've done a much better job with the dome, judging by the photos.

I wonder if on the finished article, Hornby will manage to get the chimney to "sit" a bit more convincingly on the smokebox? The photos of the samples at Warley all show the base of the chimney with a thick flange that doesn't look at all like the prototype. They've done a much better job with the dome, judging by the photos.

I spoke to them at Warley about the same subject and they did say that the Radials on show were pre-production models, and further refining would take place before actual production.  So fingers crossed!

These images confirm my choice to go with the Hornby model, if they eventually do the livery I'd like – the later LSWR olive. I'm sure it was this livery that I saw the Bluebell loco carry when it was in steam in the early to mid 1980's.

I was reading a very old Railway Modeller that had an EM Gauge Lyme Regis based layout. The article and the layout was a favourite of mine that had stuck in my mind from the dim distant past hence my digging out the old magazine. I can recall marvelling at the kit built locos and coaches used on the model back-in-the-day – now they are almost all available or shortly to be available R-T-R.

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1