Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

They are definitely here...

attachicon.gif30582_rhfan.jpg

attachicon.gif30582_lhran.jpg

Wonky bunker railing is my fault, I had the coal load out and didn't refit it properly!

attachicon.gif30582_rh.jpg

Glad I've waited for the Hornby LSWR version rather than succumb to the lure of the OR version.  Got it coming from 'Rails' for less than £20 more than the OR LSWR, which I think is worth it not to have to carve about the casting block to achieve 'daylight' under the boiler, and then splice and paint match a lower boiler section.

I know some folks are happy with the OR version, but that glaring error ruled it out for me.  A shame really as I had looked forward to supporting them, intending to buy 3 initially, but their faults seem to be compounded in the NB wagon, LNER cattle truck, and unless they correct it the Dean Goods too.   Cheap is one thing, and welcome, but not if you're having to do more work to bring them up to scratch.

• Like 1

Looks very nice, but what have they done to the chimney skirt? it is far too thick, the Oxford may have rivets on the dome, but the skirt is flush on both within reason. I have one on order, but in the Southern Livery which is still to come.

The boiler looks much better with daylight under it, most of the other detailing is about the same.

Stephen.

• Like 1

Also just who of the two makers is correct on the slidebars and crossheads, they both basically have the same BR livery, but the Oxford has the duel crosshead and double bar guides and the Hornby has the single bar crosshead and guides.

The single bars are correctly done on the preserved LSWR Livery Oxford, so what has happened on the BR livery version, surely both cannot be right.

Was there perhaps a difference between 30582 and 30583?

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog

Also just who of the two makers is correct on the slidebars and crossheads, they both basically have the same BR livery, but the Oxford has the duel crosshead and double bar guides and the Hornby has the single bar crosshead and guides.

The single bars are correctly done on the preserved LSWR Livery Oxford, so what has happened on the BR livery version, surely both cannot be right.

Stephen.

30582 and 30584 should both have double slide bars and the straight edge support at the front; 30583 (being 488 originally) has the single slide bar and 'wavy' support.

• RMweb Gold

Stephen.

Both types slidebars and crossheads are correct. 30583 was an earlier build to 582.

Here a few pictures of the very bright green one.

As tbg says it is a beautiful runner straight out of the box with whichever type of controller I want to use. It suffer the same trait as the Oxford version of lifting the driving wheels when transition to an incline.

The Hornby model weighs  237g and the Oxford 203g

Dscf0287_zpsfhqpzbxa.jpg

Dscf0286_zpswqhforh8.jpg

Dscf0288_zpslwvlxesv.jpg

Dscf0289_zps3kveuafy.jpg

That didn't work, I was trying to show the cab detail

DSCF0290_zpsxn7dk8a3.jpg

Some comparison with the Oxford Model

Dscf0285_zpsd2s03bl3.jpg

Dscf0294_zpsafiprl8f.jpg

Dscf0295_zpscmoybh4n.jpg

• Like 12

A point, not a complaint, but has Hornby shrunk the rear wheel in diameter compared to Oxford? The front wheels also seem to have thicker spokes and wheel boss as well. Most other things seem the same, are the crossheads in plastic though?, and I thought they said it had a flywheel, is it hidden in the gearbox?

Stephen.

DSCF0290_zpsxn7dk8a3.jpg

Notice that Hornby's managed to set the handrail knobs normal to the boiler cladding surface. I wonder whether the holes are radial or if the knob tails are cranked? Only the unpainted dayglo plastic of the wheels jars.

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

A point, not a complaint, but has Hornby shrunk the rear wheel in diameter compared to Oxford? The front wheels also seem to have thicker spokes and wheel boss as well. Most other things seem the same, are the crossheads in plastic though?, and I thought they said it had a flywheel, is it hidden in the gearbox?

Stephen.

Flywheel is hidden, but there. Crossheads are metal, the tyres are much finer than Oxfords, hence they look different

Stephen.

There were two different diameters for the trailing wheels. Of 582, 583 and 584, only 583 had the smaller diameter variant.

Stephen.

Stephen

The diameter of the trailing wheels also varied between members of this class, the BR black model has the larger size, the green with the smaller diameter shows up more clearly in the photographs.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Notice that Hornby's managed to set the handrail knobs normal to the boiler cladding surface. I wonder whether the holes are radial or if the knob tails are cranked? Only the unpainted dayglo plastic of the wheels jars.

The Nim.

They appear to have sorted the handrail issue on the latest releases of Black Motors, too.

John

• RMweb Gold

For those of you greedy for more than one of these,there are photographic records of double-heading on the Lyme Regis branch.See Norman Lockett,Ivo Peters etc....Oh the sins of gluttony...I shall savour the anticipation a while yet as I'm heading for Barcelona

,,,of Freddie Mercury fame.....next week.

Warning - this post contains nudity  :jester:  :jester:

Alright 30582 without it's clothes on:

attachicon.gif30582_nude.jpg

Have to check mine when it arrives, but it looks like it could be a donor mech for an LTSR Tilbury Tank!   That means buying another..................... :whistle:

Hi.  I have wanted one of theses locos ever since I saw 30582 & 30584 double heading through coaches at Axminster as I sped by on the ACE in August 1960. I later saw 30583 at Nine Elms when it came up to London to haul a special.  I have been advised that 30584 is now on its way to me.  All I need now is a Gate Set from Kernow, a USA from Model Rail and the 58' coaches from Hornby. I do not need a MN in early BR blue, but I would like one. What an expensive time!

Roger

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

For those of you greedy for more than one of these,there are photographic records of double-heading on the Lyme Regis branch.See Norman Lockett,Ivo Peters etc....Oh the sins of gluttony...I shall savour the anticipation a while yet as I'm heading for Barcelona

,,,of Freddie Mercury fame.....next week.

I would of thought more like Manuel from Fawlty Towers   :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi.  I have wanted one of theses locos ever since I saw 30582 & 30584 double heading through coaches at Axminster as I sped by on the ACE in August 1960. I later saw 30583 at Nine Elms when it came up to London to haul a special.  I have been advised that 30584 is now on its way to me.  All I need now is a Gate Set from Kernow, a USA from Model Rail and the 58' coaches from Hornby. I do not need a MN in early BR blue, but I would like one. What an expensive time!

Roger

"A man's reach is to exceed his grasp....or what's a Heaven for ?" (Robert Browning) .The Pharoahs had their worldly goods interred with them.Go thou do likewise ? What a wonderful time rather and roll on airsmoothed MN 's in whatever livery. Keep the memory green .......or blue......or malachite sunshine......or black.

Just had a friend around with the LSWR preserved livery Hornby version, and the Oxford and Hornby are very close indeed, but after the comments about the green on the Oxford being too bright, the Hornby is even lighter in shade. The wheels are a bit different as the Oxford has a wider near scale black rim, and definitely looks less "plastic" than Hornby. The splasher width is a fraction greater on the Hornby body than the Oxford. Flange height is smaller as per latest Hornby standard, but the Oxford flange size causes no issues.

Oxford added rivets around the dome base, but Hornby have an issue with the chimney flange, it scales out as about 2 inches thick at the edge!

Hornby have the correct nut on top of the dome though.

Hornby seem to have added the rivets with recessed heads on the cab back, and the cab back the livery is more correct, as Oxford did not line it. The cab interiors are very much the same finish.

The running is a bit different, the Hornby is faster, but slow speed is worst of the three I have, at least till it is run in. The low speed is good though by any standards, just that the Oxford is a touch better. One Oxford is new and un-run in anyway, so comparison is fair. The Hornby is a fraction  noisier than both Oxford versions.

I expect adjusting the front bogie, and rear wheel, will stop the issue at the start of gradients that do not transition well, the issue being coming to a dead halt!.. at least at slow speeds, all work at higher paces, but with reduced pull. The Hornby appears to pull a bit better, but the Oxford can manage more than the prototype anyway. Hornby have packed in a bit of extra weight to the loco.

As I said I have a Southern livery one on order from Hornby, so not being partisan in comparison just for the sake of it. One thing I will do to the Black Oxford is mill out the frame under the boiler, but at a later date.

As usual Hornby have of course issued no new coaches with the loco, still waiting!  A bit more planning in future?

Stephen.