"Caleta" semi-fictional Costa Brava in N

Pete 75C

A quick dig around on the hard drive and I found this photo from a previous layout. The threaded rod risers were used as a means to support the fiddle yard above the low level tracks, but may also prove useful to give adjustability for other reasons! A doddle to make as well.

post-17811-0-19476200-1436976199.jpg

Unfortunately, some of my 1984ish shots of Barelona Termino haven't worn too well in the intervening 30+ years (and I'm not sure where the negs are stored).

I still have a handful more, which I will upload if there's continued interest - and Pete doesn't object.

Brian R

post-1599-0-85950400-1436978251_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-10111800-1436978275_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-51558600-1436978282_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Keep 'em coming Brian.

Historical shots are always of interest.

If you put them through an edit program you can easily get rid of some of the "fug".

I hope you don't mind I tried the interior shot of the station with Photopaint.

see the result here:

post-6208-0-06293800-1436981074.jpg

Keith

EDIT BTW I'm not keeping the shots!

Yes, please keep them coming Brian. More than happy to see them.

As Keith says, I often find myself running shots through the "Smart Photo Fix" option on Paint Shop Pro. It's the only photo editing program that I know how to use!

• RMweb Premium

Yes, please keep them coming Brian. More than happy to see them.

As Keith says, I oiften find myself running shots through the "Smart Photo Fix" option on Paint Shop Pro. It's the only photo editing program that I know how to use!

I've got both Corel Photopaint (new) and a couple of old Photoshop programs and auto adjust is a godsend when cleaning up old photos.

One click and something presentable 90% or more of the time.

Keith

Absolutely. Although I'm taking a hefty dose of inspiration from the Calella line, and intending to pinch a few defining scenic features from that particular town, the finished little layout could in reality be any coastal route. I've no intention of limiting the stock that can be run and also no intention of limiting it to one particular era. I've always thought that as soon as you model a station, little details like signage, departure monitors and even the colour of the lamp-posts can very easily pin a layout down to one particular era. With no station to worry about, and by replacing some vehicles on the layout, I can easily imagine a 40 year window of opportunity to run a variety of stock. With that in mind, I must go easy on the apartment block satellite dishes!

Slight change of plan, folks. Bear with me... it does help my thought process to bounce these ideas around. I came back from Wickes with some timber/hinges and I already have a stash of decent ply but when sizing everything up, I realised that if I go for the baseboard arrangement (left), when folded the layout takes up a lot more room than if I have two seperate boards (right).

I'm tempted to ditch the hinge idea and store the boards as they're shown bottom right. If I make up a couple of sturdy ply end plates, I've got a complete box that can be transported safely (hopefully). Any thoughts would be more than welcome.

post-17811-0-25732300-1437062876.jpg

The one on the right does look to be the better design although I´m a little lost as to where you are going to put the hinges?

To get you in the mood here a couple of videos.

This guy presumably has a green background like the weather readers and in the post production adds the background of choice. The sound is dubbed on too. Impressive in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIWHmV2D564

This one sounds good with the volume turned up. These locos used to run past my workplace double heading the butane tanks to Madrid on a decent gradient and made a great noise.

And on this forum there is a Catalan based layout with a multitude of stock that is only spoilt by the oversized ballast.

http://www.forotrenes.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11916&start=1920

By the way Pete.

If your wife likes shoes, she´ll love Elche. It is THE Spanish shoe manufacturing centre. The chinese seem to have taken over alot of it now but there are still some big name brands based there.

Cheers Andy. Nice videos and thanks for the info. Might give Elche a miss then, or accidentally forget to take the credit card... ;)

Re: the baseboards, the second option means binning the hinges altogether. The boards would be joined by dowels and coach bolts and then separated and flipped for storage/transport, with the fiddle yard board upside down over the scenic board.

Fiddle yard board has been ply-topped and track/points ordered, I'll post a couple of pics once complete.

Quick question... actually two questions...

Can someone give me a brief idiot's guide to "Eras/Epochs"? What years would III/IV/V be equivalent to in terms of Spanish traction? I'd like to run the layout between late 70s/1980(ish) and maybe 2000, 2005 at the latest. I'm assuming Era V is current, but would Era III be a little too early?

Also, was the RENFE Alsthom 276 "Frenchie" ever seen anywhere near Barcelona?

Apologies if these are stupid questions. If it isn't "British Rail", I'm a little outside my comfort zone! That's a good thing though, learning curves are always interesting but this one's a little steep...

Thanks, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Era I Approx.1870-1920 Country & Private Railways 

Era II Approx. 1920-1945 The Period after the formation of large state railways 

Era III Approx. 1945-1970 The new organization of European railroads

Era IV Approx. 1968-1985 Standardized computer lettering on all rolling stock & locos

Era V Approx. 1985-2000 The modern era of railroading

That's useful Colin - thanks. Era IV and V it is then.

Shame actually, as I like some of the Era III colours! Might be pushing credibilty a bit far though!

A quick dig around on the hard drive and I found this photo from a previous layout. The threaded rod risers were used as a means to support the fiddle yard above the low level tracks, but may also prove useful to give adjustability for other reasons! A doddle to make as well.

attachicon.gifmilecross.jpg

What happened to this layout Pete?

The use of Lego was genius!

Christian

What happened to this layout Pete?

The scenic board from Mile Cross Road got rather badly water damaged (my own stupid fault), to the extent that some sections of scenery were beyond salvation and I'd used some MDF in the construction, rather than 100% ply. The MDF had been used structurally and absorbed so much water it started to swell and deform. I'd only just begun the scenics, so not a massive loss, but rather annoying all the same. Luckily, the fiddle yard board was elsewhere at the time so that's donating some of the points and a lot of the track to this little Spanish project. I'll reuse the point motor bases and threaded rods too. Every little helps! Oh yeah... and I'll keep the whole damn thing away from water!

• RMweb Gold

Era I Approx.1870-1920 Country & Private Railways

Era II Approx. 1920-1945 The Period after the formation of large state railways

Era III Approx. 1945-1970 The new organization of European railroads

Era IV Approx. 1968-1985 Standardized computer lettering on all rolling stock & locos

Era V Approx. 1985-2000 The modern era of railroading

This thread is developing quite nicely!

Great piccies from Brian by the way.

I found the Era thing quite tricky to start with. My interest in Czech Railways corresponds with the fall of communism in 1990 and the split up of Czechoslovakia in 1993. So 1989-93 is my chosen period but the majority of the stock is as per circa 1985, liveries, stations etc.

As Colin says, Rule 1 applies. If it looks right to you, then right it is.

I find I am becoming more interested in the whole European rail scene of this period, which does not bode well for my shrinking wallet.

Keep up the good work!!

Rob.

Great piccies from Brian by the way.

I find I am becoming more interested in the whole European rail scene of this period, which does not bode well for my shrinking wallet.

I'm hoping Brian hasn't run out of photos!

Totally agree about the Euro rail scene. I've always had an interest in Spanish railways, but that interest has never been backed up by a huge amount of knowledge. I'm still in the dark about lots of things, but it's a fun learning curve. Rule 1 has been mentioned, so expect lots of geographical and livery errors on my part, but I see this as a fun little project. I don't know the prototype well enough for it to be in any way accurate. With regard to era, at the moment, I'm thinking 1980 +/- 15 years which gives me plenty of scope.

The fourth picture link from Andy (above) shows a 276 pulling some oil tanks just a little further up the coast from Calella which was the original inspiration for this layout. Now that's a formation that's begging to be reproduced. Other trains that *may* run on the layout are highly likely to be out of context... running purely because I like the loco or the livery.

I can't call the layout "Calella" as it's not in any way meant to be a carbon-copy (I'm just pinching some ideas), but we used to live in "Caleta" in the Canaries, so that's currently front-runner for a layout name, being reasonably similar to "Calella".

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree. When I get around to it, the Czech layout will, I hope, capture the flavour of the country and time rather than be a slavish copy.

Rob

Hallo,

regarding further suppliers of Spanish stock, there is Startrain, who have announced the class 450 6car suburban unit, and n-train.es for any Spanish overhead you may require.

If you can justify it in your scenario, Kato produced the original Euromed a few years ago, which may be available 2nd hand. They often were diverted so who knows what modeller's licence will allow.

es grüßt

pc

Hallo,

regarding further suppliers of Spanish stock, there is Startrain, who have announced the class 450 6car suburban unit, and n-train.es for any Spanish overhead you may require.

If you can justify it in your scenario, Kato produced the original Euromed a few years ago, which may be available 2nd hand. They often were diverted so who knows what modeller's licence will allow.

es grüßt

pc

That's really useful, many thanks. I'd almost given up on prototypical Spanish catenary masts and was going to cheat and use Dapol which although not at all similar, are at least readily available. A quick look at the n-train website shows an almost perfect match and they're readily available from a selection of online Spanish model shops. I won't need too many, so worth the expense, I think.

Re: Startrain, they have a couple of locos on my wish-list, but online info seems pretty sparse. Again, stocked by a selection of Spanish model shops, but I can't even find a manufacturer's website. Is it actually a Spanish brand?

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

Archived