"Caleta" semi-fictional Costa Brava in N

Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

A quick update although the layout's a bit of a foamy mess at the moment. I had planned to use a 2" sheet of Knauf insulation to carve the basic landform but the one sheet I had left over had bowed and it would have been tricky (but not impossible) to bond it to the ply without using loads of weights and pots of PVA. I fell back on my old trick of expanding foam in a can. I have half a case of expanding foam left over from when the new windows were installed at the back of the house. Waste not, want not...

Fully cured, this has been cut back to *roughly* the right shape. Modroc and a couple of thin skims of filler will be added over the next few days to get the shape exactly right and then I can cut a template and get the front and side fascias installed.

attachicon.gifcalella_24.jpg

Whilst at my local secondhand model shop this morning to pick up a couple of Humbrol acrylic sprays, I spotted something small and oddly Continental lurking on a top shelf. Closer inspection revealed them to be a couple of DelPrado/DeAgostini static models, one SNCF and one RENFE. Unopened, at £2 each, I thought them cheap enough to come home with me. Now, when I search ebay for continental N gauge, I usually add "-del -deagostini" to the search box as I'm a little sick and tired of wading through all these static models to get to the good stuff. I've been converted. The paint job's actually really good and I'm surprised by the high level of detail and the fact that the wheels actually turn when removed from the display plinth... What I'm going to do with them, I don't actually know yet, but I like them...

attachicon.gifcalella_25.jpg

Surely there's some way of getting some motorisation under that diesel?

Looks very similar to a DB V200 to me.

Keith

Surely there's some way of getting some motorisation under that diesel?

Looks very similar to a DB V200 to me.

Keith

Almost identical to the V200. The RENFE locos were heavier, had a little more power and were slightly longer. 32 were built and two survive, including this one in Madrid:

post-17811-0-42159900-1439824503.jpg

340 020 Renfe von Falk2 - Eigenes Werk. Lizenziert unter CC BY 3.0 über Wikimedia Commons

Edit: Roco make one in HO, but I don't know if anyone makes it in N. The static model is very nice indeed but I don't see any way to get the body off. I thought of towing it behind something from a similar era but the bogies only turn by a very small amount... I doubt it would get round anything less than radius 4/5, and maybe not even that.

In an effort to get the shape of the landform finished, it dawned on me that I need to get the road bridge/tunnel at the left hand end of the layout in place. I've decided to copy the prototype and have the underside of the road bridge lead into the short tunnel, rather than have a separate bridge and then tunnel mouth. Now I'm guessing this, but I assume that the modern concrete retaining wall of the road bridge "gives way" to the tunnel lining at some point, so the best I could come up with is below. Once these are glued into place on a slight curve, a short section of track will need to be ballasted and weathered so I can then get the "roof" on and built up the embankment sides.

post-17811-0-54517000-1439826491.jpg

Edit: To get the height of the underside of the road bridge to allow for catenary, I measured from the top of the cork to the top of the only loco I have (no pantograph) and then just "added a bit"... You can see I'm approaching this in a very serious and technically proficient way... yeah, right.

...are there any model railway shops in Malaga ? As I have an afternoon to kill on Wednesday after dropping the little person off with her cousin.

There's a model shop in Malaga and one in Fuengirola...

http://scalamodels.es/prestashop/

http://www.carminahobbys.com/en/

The one in Malaga has a very limited range of railway models and I can't find anything railway-related on the Fuengirola shop's website. Street addresses are on the websites.

Andy (McGomez) would probably know but he's on holiday... :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Found a couple of inspirational (for me) period shots of Calella on Flickr. Not able to date them but 70s/80s maybe?

attachicon.gif8535217182_e2e3648a06_z.jpg

Image by RAILASIA on Flickr

attachicon.gif8535217454_c8923a5191_z.jpg

Image by RAILASIA on Flickr

I think that you are back in the 60s with those photos unless it was a "special". My first visit to Catalonia was in 1971 and they were already using EMUs on those routes.

• RMweb Gold

Could you motorise a coach or goods wagon , or both, depending whether they are freight or passenger locos, coupled next to the loco it'd be like the rebirth of tender drive. You would be unlikely to see wheelslip on the locos.

What an excellent (if sadly unlikely) idea... Can I do the name badges...?

attachicon.gifbadge.jpg

I'd be up for it as long as it's not in the next 5 days. I'm soaking up some lovely cool weather after the hottest Spanish summer I've known.

The Spanish is good Pete.

Looks a great idea, and good luck

Sorry to hi-jack , but are there any model railway shops in Malaga ? As I have an afternoon to kill on Wednesday after dropping the little person off with her cousin.

This is your best bet in Malaga. Check the opening times though. They don't open in the afternoon.

http://www.trenexpress.es/

• RMweb Gold

Sorting a few old holiday snaps recently i came acress this taken at Malgrat del Mar in June 1979.

post-9767-0-23997900-1439845897_thumb.jpg

In those days the road shown became a dirt track about a mile to the Barcelona side of the station. The track was largely unfenced and you wandered across or along it to get from the few hotels to the beach. the empty bit of ground between the buildings is now a swimming pool.

Sorting a few old holiday snaps recently...

attachicon.gifCTG_666_00 (1280x853).jpg

Lovely shot, thanks. Brian R posted some shots of 440s at Calella in 1984 a while back in the thread (hope you don't mind me reposting them as thumbs).

post-17811-0-18662500-1439899614.jpg

I've just discovered that Ibertren did a 3-car 440 EMU in N gauge years ago (circa 1990?)... although it has working lights, the fine detail is not a patch on today's models. Hard to find and when it does come up for sale on ebay, good condition ones tend to go for around €175-200. A supposed "as-new" example is currently listed by a UK seller on ebay with a starting price of £99. I'm a little undecided, but slightly tempted to have a punt on this item as it's spot-on for the area and period...

post-17811-0-95419300-1439899614.jpg

• RMweb Gold

What an excellent (if sadly unlikely) idea... Can I do the name badges...?

attachicon.gifbadge.jpg

Here till wednesday, back out 28th september.

Regtrettably you can't get beer out here, only fizzy badger p!ss.

Which reminds me, I'm on my last bottle of London Pride, need to get down to Iceland.

Mike.

...you can't get beer out here, only fizzy badger p!ss.

That's exactly the way I like it! I have never at any time claimed to have good taste...

post-17811-0-04370400-1440006704.jpg

I thought everyone drank San Miguel ?

Half the time in Spain or the Canaries, I haven't a clue what I'm drinking... I just ask for a large "local" beer. As long as the glass comes out of the freezer, I'm happy...

Still plastering and trying to get the road bridge right, so needed a diversion.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread as suitable for mainland Spain, so I wanted to include an "Osborne bull" or "el toro negro" by the side of the main road at the left-hand end of the layout.

post-17811-0-70069800-1440247837.jpg

"Toro Osborne Cabezas de San Juan" by Grez - licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons

A little "Googling" tells me that these signs (formerly an advert for brandy) are approx. 46ft high. No problem, I thought. The one in the picture below scales to about that. However, it actually looks ridiculously big (see the loco for comparison). Also, these signs were not allowed closer than 150m to the carriageway (I guess that's why they're so big). My bull will need to be a lot closer to the road so I think it needs to be smaller. It also needs to be thinner... much thinner. I've ordered some black cut-vinyl self adhesive Osborne bull silhouettes in different sizes. I'll choose the one that looks most appropriate. To achieve the thinner "billboard" look, Im planning to stick the vinyl to plastic sheet and then cut out. Hopefully it will look more in scale. I'll need a delicate set of support legs for the sign, so I'm hoping Plastruct will come to the rescue.

post-17811-0-31277800-1440247852.jpg

A ridiculously cheap ebay purchase was a pack of plastic palm trees to line the railway line. Available in lots of different sizes (I've also ordered some slightly larger ones), the plastic looks, well, "plasticky". The trunks were sprayed with Humbrol "Dark Earth matt" and the foliage was sprayed with Humbrol "Grass Green matt" and they look all the better for it.

post-17811-0-29727800-1440247850.jpg

post-17811-0-28336400-1440247851.jpg

Would 60thou black plasticard be of any use ?

Or white plasticard and a black spray can ?

Yup. I was thinking Slaters 7mm embossed paving to get the "tile" effect of the billboard seen in the photo above. If that fails spectacularly or just looks "wrong", plain plasticard should work a treat. Once trimmed to the right shape, the vinyl can be peeled off and the plastic sprayed with rattle-can black primer. For anyone viewing the finished layout, the bull will be such an eye-catcher, it makes sense to get it right.

Hi Pete,

That "Bull" was certainly a symbol of Spain for me during the 70's and 80's (my time visiting there!), another one from that time period was "Liquer 43" on smaller signs that had an aerofoil design so they rotated in the wind, something for you to look at?

Anyway, saw this N gauge road vehicle and thought of you: https://www.menzels-lokschuppen.de/Modellautos/Einsatzfahrzeuge/Rietze-16179-MB-Sprinter-WAS-RTW-Cruz-Roja-Espana.html

Speaking of road vehicles and thinking of my various European exploits, I find that emergency vehicles and HGV's are the main "things" that pinpoint a layouts location on the model roads, busses less so and cars even less so BUT back in 'my' period, countries were much more parocial in their car ownership choices than nowdays.

Hence French cars were very common in France, Italian in Italy and so on.

So what for Spain?

If my memory serves, Simca's, Seat's and (licence built) Renault's would be the main cars, I particularly remember the Renault 7 which was a booted version of the 5, very odd looking! Before EU membership, there was plenty of horse or donkey and carts around too.

Post EU membership and it seemed everyone and his dog was driving Merc's and BMW's all of a sudden!

As for truck (& busses), I can only remember "Pegaso" as being the main manufacturer but one particular type of vehicle on the south coast was the gas tanker lorry, usually a two axle, 6 wheel design with a large cylindrical gas tank on the rear.

These may have dissappeared after a nasty disaster involving one in the early eighties though.

HTH,

John E.

Thanks John. The little section of main road that crosses the railway line and then curves around the headland will likely be one of the first scenic features to be finished, so I have been giving thought to road vehicles. I'll need a cross-section through history as I'd like to portray the late 70s through to the early 00s. I reckon a bus/coach, a lorry and maybe 4 or 5 cars will do for the time being. There is a huge amount out there in N... I'll have to try and get hold of one of the Lemke buses. I just baulk a little at the thought of £20+ for something so small. I know... I'm tight...

The road that runs alongside and very close to the railway line will no doubt be one of the last things to be done, so a good selection of vehicles will be needed for that as well, but it can wait. I keep seeing collections of old Wiking models going cheap on ebay. They lack detail, but may be good for something.

Archived