Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

Just checked and, yes they do.....

http://www.shawplan.com/depplaq.html

Be careful though. They do two different sizes... :biggrin_mini2:

Ahhh, they do indeed, but so do Foxy. Problem is I bet they are in the sector colours of black / silver, I need battersea power station in blue/ silver.

Foxy have offered me an unpainted plaque to try and paint in the correct colours,,, if not I can use the decals from the mainline class 73 sheet as they have some for the one named ' Stewart's lane '

Ahhh, they do indeed, but so do Foxy. Problem is I bet they are in the sector colours of black / silver, I need battersea power station in blue/ silver.

Foxy have offered me an unpainted plaque to try and paint in the correct colours,,, if not I can use the decals from the mainline class 73 sheet as they have some for the one named ' Stewart's lane '

I would ask Shawplan. They're normally very obliging. They did some bespoke plates for me once. I'm trying to remember what they were now. It was either a 37 or a 50.

Yes indeed !

That is the sister behind Vulcan ...

Maybe I'll see if shawplan can do it ? Although tempted to try and paint the fox ones as I'll have to get mainline blue paint anyway

Yes indeed !

That is the sister behind Vulcan ...

Maybe I'll see if shawplan can do it ? Although tempted to try and paint the fox ones as I'll have to get mainline blue paint anyway

You've mystified me now. 37905 Vulcan Enterprise is all I can think of off the top of my head but that's not a 5 obviously. It was Transrail though.
  • Like 1

Well , model time between the now and the end of August will be in short supply.

My recently acquired 37672 had a strange wobble upon close observation .

It appears that one bogie was gently oscillating up and down. I removed said bogie and put it on a glass shelf and it appears one wheel set is out of true. I removed it and swapped it out with another bogies from 694, unfortunately this was when I realised my soldering iron had stopped working............and I'd mislaid one of the two bogie holding screws.....£&&@@@!

This both 672 and 694 stay disassembled. I took the chance to take the numbers off the 672 body so that is now in unnumbered transrail. At least that went smoothly.

Having a bit more time I turned back to 274, and painted the Tcut whited out grills in rail match roof dirt. That seems to have done the job ! Just the other sides worth to go then. I think 274 will look nice when finished, hopefully nicer on the side with fox stuff than the original Bachmann side !

• Like 1

Well , model time between the now and the end of August will be in short supply.

My recently acquired 37672 had a strange wobble upon close observation .

It appears that one bogie was gently oscillating up and down. I removed said bogie and put it on a glass shelf and it appears one wheel set is out of true. I removed it and swapped it out with another bogies from 694, unfortunately this was when I realised my soldering iron had stopped working............and I'd mislaid one of the two bogie holding screws.....£&&@@@!

This both 672 and 694 stay disassembled. I took the chance to take the numbers off the 672 body so that is now in unnumbered transrail. At least that went smoothly.

Having a bit more time I turned back to 274, and painted the Tcut whited out grills in rail match roof dirt. That seems to have done the job ! Just the other sides worth to go then. I think 274 will look nice when finished, hopefully nicer on the side with fox stuff than the original Bachmann side !

Hi Rob,

Ive got this problem with a couple of mine. Its very frustrating!

I've also got the issue of one of my 37's where the bogie is tilting backwards, causing the front set of wheels to lift up slightly, just enough to stop it running properly. 

Ive had it apart, loosened the retaining screw at the top of the tower to all sorts of positions, removed it, dis-assembled, re-assembled and I still cant the the thing right! its my Nemesis! (I always think of Bricktop from Snatch when I hear the word Nemesis)

Anyhoo i digress - would changing the wheelsets to Ultrascale or similar help? im sure it would definately eradicate the wobble problem.

https://www.ultrascale.uk/eshop/products/view/CAT007/306

Cheers

Trev :)

Edited by big T

It's the only one I've had problems with - I should really remember 37672 was released years ago !

Anyway the bogie swap was OK, I painted out all the yellow axle boxes, and it awaits running in and the 683 numbers being put on.

Strangely the decoder as supplied is incapable of being changed from 0003. Not sire I want the expense of another 8 pin as they are old hat now. May just have to stay as 3...

37274 was almost ready for more varnish bit I noticed the 4 on one sided didnt look good, maybe had some of the transfer tucked up , so that's waiting a new number. Should have these back in traffic soon - ish !

It all means 37694/516 is now lacking a decent bogie so that gos back timeline to about Xmas.

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good timing Neil !

I've spent 2 days at home in a month so not much toy time. Today I was determined would be about the little chuffers...

post-450-0-76704400-1471884912_thumb.jpeg

That's what the TR one became . Chassis now running in on my radius 3 oval on the kitchen floor.

37242 should be reunited with its chassis later as well. That still needs the grille mod - I've given up on the SL plates for now.

• Like 4

We need more local (ok, ok, I know, I'm in Portsmouth), modern image layouts like yours and Ian's Rob.

I can lend you a nice pair of 'very quiet' DRS 37's if you need some  :sarcastichand:

Looking good btw :-)

Cheers,

I think it's fairly encouraging to see on rmweb how many model the ' contemporary ' railway with its multitude of colours. I model a fairly unpopular time ( 1998 ish ) but I think that's down to demographics.

Ian's NSE period seems to be popular for the same reasons I think.

• Like 2

My layout is loosely based in 1987 (an age related thing) when it was just beginning to get a little more colourful, but I couldn't model the present as it changes too often.

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2

Lost interest from 85 to 96 ! Too many competing things.....missed pretty much all sectorisation and NSE.

Modern stuff looks colourful but I'd wager I'd have to spend hours lineside toget motivated by it

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

post-450-0-38055900-1473277713_thumb.jpeg

37274 waits patiently to take flyash empties back to Newport, from whence they will head to Scotland...

post-450-0-19766000-1473277771_thumb.jpeg

Retooled the fiddle yard - got an actual run round now and the restoration of the DCC programming length in the foreground.

I'm thinking about turning one of the two short sidings into a fuelling point as its a bit too short for much practical wagon use.

Class 56 is almost together now too

• Like 11