Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

I'm thinking about starting a new thread for my rolling stock bodges as this layout is unlikely to have anything added to it.....

And I'm already thinking of the next plank ...

What do you think ?

• Like 1

No No No. Keep it going Rob. I enjoy looking in on here. You can still put on your rolling stock detailing and use the layout to show them off. Just change the title to Appleton yard - Home of Rob's Bodges. LOL!!!

And I thought I was the only BODGIT on the Web, hhahhaha :no:  :no: :mail:  

• Like 1

Ok so we continue for now....

The reboot of the mainline 37 continues - reinstating the silver details over the deweathered side.

post-450-0-24530300-1469185328_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-91634400-1469185351_thumb.jpeg

The silver lining is slightly over scale as supplied by fox...its 1 mm wide and should be about 0.7. Makes it a bit chunky, and it only just fits between the side grills. I did try slimming it down but getting a reliable 0.7 mm is next to impossible along a length.

However, a bigger problem is the mainline logos. The are way too big and don't fit between the engine room window and grill properly...and this set of decals is the class 37 specific.

post-450-0-22868400-1469185522_thumb.jpeg

I thought I was going mad, but they are a good 3mm too wide and then so is the ' Mainline ' lettering.

I've sent an email to fox to see what's gone wrong

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

No No No. Keep it going Rob. I enjoy looking in on here. You can still put on your rolling stock detailing and use the layout to show them off. Just change the title to Appleton yard - Home of Rob's Bodges. LOL!!!

Done !!

• Like 2

That's certainly not right is it. I've found Fox transfers to be a bit out before on different models. I wonder if there were different sized Mainline logo's between classes. I'm wondering if perhaps they've measured one an a 37/7 that doesn't have the body side window.

Think I might just do some google-ing and have a look. 

Interesting . They reckon they sold loads of these without complaint - they are sending me some smaller ones to see if they fit.

I did ask if they were designed for Lima 37 !

Anyway I've just won another 37 off flea buy , hopefully that'll be a simple renumber ...

• Like 2

I was racking my brains to think what else was painted Mainline blue. Then I thought maybe its off the 58 as  that was probably bespoke to fit across the doors. Looking on the interweb it appears as if it might be larger as that, along with the Mainline wording, appears to fill the bodyside.

What have you won may I ask?

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 1

This machine......used to have one but sold it in a clear out along time back.....

post-450-0-46048900-1469207476_thumb.jpeg

I have no 3 TG machines so was glad to get it. As the next plank will be West Midlands based I feel I am happy to have transrail locos !

• Like 3

Nice purchase Rob, I miss my Transrail fleet, tempted to revert back to the 90's myself.

The 90s was great , but Scott you know your next visit to Eastleigh and all those multi coloured swap shop 66s and you'll be back wanting the dark side !

Your teasing me now Rob. I actually want to go and run some trains but it's far to hot in the loft. Do you know what, I might just go and blow the cobwebs of KoLW.

Go on you know it makes sense !

One advantage of modelling in the box room - it's never too hot or cold !

So,

The side that lost the Bachmann decals is pretty much done. I need to drop a bit of paint in the grills to get rid of the White residue from T cut. I varnished it with two coats of humbrol satin so as not to lose the slight newly painted look. It's a little thick but not note able unless very close up.

post-450-0-31694900-1469523265_thumb.jpeg

Ends similar - I had to reinstate the black seals around the marker lights and all the OHL warning flashes

post-450-0-81701100-1469523316_thumb.jpeg

Surprisingly Fox doesn't do SL plaques in blue and silver so I have th choice of painting some standard ones blue and silver or seeing if there is a decal ( I'd ra.ther go etched ).

So there's a bit more work yet. And the Royal Mail tells me there's a parcel at the sorting office.

• Like 4

So,

The side that lost the Bachmann decals is pretty much done. I need to drop a bit of paint in the grills to get rid of the White residue from T cut. I varnished it with two coats of humbrol satin so as not to lose the slight newly painted look. It's a little thick but not note able unless very close up.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Ends similar - I had to reinstate the black seals around the marker lights and all the OHL warning flashes

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Surprisingly Fox doesn't do SL plaques in blue and silver so I have th choice of painting some standard ones blue and silver or seeing if there is a decal ( I'd ra.ther go etched ).

So there's a bit more work yet. And the Royal Mail tells me there's a parcel at the sorting office.

you can get dark blue Tcut, I use it all the time, it leaves no white residue.

So,

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Looking good Rob. Have you tried Shawplan for the plaques. They do most things like that.