New Rail Express model to be announced soon

shunny

Nice livery I just hope they follow this with 66709 with the MSC ship on the side.

Current tooling doesn't allow for the MSC vinyl 66709 because it's a 66/0 with revised cabside windows. Great shame, but it doesn't mean the tooling change isn't going to happen at some point.

In the meantime theres no point producing an inaccurate model with the original windows.

Current tooling doesn't allow for the MSC vinyl 66709 because it's a 66/0 with revised cabside windows. Great shame, but it doesn't mean the tooling change isn't going to happen at some point.

In the meantime theres no point producing an inaccurate model with the original windows.

So are you saying the first MSC release of 66709 in Medite has the wrong cabside windows, or were they changed at a later date ?

The majority of the older GBRf 66s have been retro fitted with the newer double glazed type windows. This took place over the last couple of years.

Quite a few ran with white under coat around the replacement windows

Jo

• RMweb Premium

Completely agree with you here.

I think the cab end repaints have been put on hold or maybe stopped altogether for the moment because some of the 66/6s do look quite rusty, shabby and just generally worn.

66603, 66618 and 66622 are all quite bad.

I even saw a photo of 66543 a few weeks ago and the vinyls were peeling off of one side and it was quite noticeable.

It looks like the cab end repaints to the 66s are to save repainting them fully into Powerhaul livery. I do think however that some of the 66s particularly the above three require a full repaint because they just generally look tatty and shabby. Probably not the highest or biggest priority for Freightliner but I think it would be worth the time and money to give some of the 66s a full repaint to bring them back to life and give them a freshen up.

Completely agree with you here.

I think the cab end repaints have been put on hold or maybe stopped altogether for the moment because some of the 66/6s do look quite rusty, shabby and just generally worn.

66603, 66618 and 66622 are all quite bad.

I even saw a photo of 66543 a few weeks ago and the vinyls were peeling off of one side and it was quite noticeable.

It looks like the cab end repaints to the 66s are to save repainting them fully into Powerhaul livery. I do think however that some of the 66s particularly the above three require a full repaint because they just generally look tatty and shabby. Probably not the highest or biggest priority for Freightliner but I think it would be worth the time and money to give some of the 66s a full repaint to bring them back to life and give them a freshen up.

the fleet is going through G exam at the moment, body corrosion is treated at the same time, 66's mainly suffer around windows due to poor window seals etc.

The higher numbered 66's aren't due exam yet thats why they look at bit shabby, sure 603 has been done though.

Unlike other FOC's Freightliner would rather have their fleet out working rather then out of traffic for 3 weeks getting painted :-)

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much for the information. It's very much appreciated.

That explains why a lot of the 66/5s have had there cab end repaints already. I think the ones done so far are: 66530, 66531, 66532, 66536, 66544, 66545, 66546, 66547, 66548, 66549, 66550, 66551, 66552, 66553, 66554, 66555, 66557, 66560, 66561, 66562, 66563, 66564 and some of the 66/6s. I think that's the majority but I might have missed a few.

Yes I do see the point about Freightliner and I do admire them for that but at the same time the 66s do need some tlc.

Then on the other hand you have DRS who repaint there loco fleet regularly.

DRS clearly got money to burn then, a loco repaint is £10,000 upwards. Multiply that figure by the entire Freightliner fleet and you can see why the current paint is ok once touched up.

It's noticeable that the EWS 66s have paint that wears a lot better than the Freightliner ones. Yeah a few of ours are down to the primer on the roof, but there's not many with external rusting. The early DRS ones had pretty bad rust after a few years too

Jo

Thank you very much for the information. It's very much appreciated.

That explains why a lot of the 66/5s have had there cab end repaints already. I think the ones done so far are: 66530, 66531, 66532, 66536, 66544, 66545, 66546, 66547, 66548, 66549, 66550, 66551, 66552, 66553, 66554, 66555, 66557, 66560, 66561, 66562, 66563, 66564 and some of the 66/6s. I think that's the majority but I might have missed a few.

Yes I do see the point about Freightliner and I do admire them for that but at the same time the 66s do need some tlc.

Then on the other hand you have DRS who repaint there loco fleet regularly.

66557 is at Leeds and not released into traffic yet

66560 is only mid way through overhaul so not released yet but will have cab repaints once done, should be out before xmas.

66565 was released last week so that can be added to the list...

At present, future models depend entirely on how well 66720 sells. This is the first limited edition since Rail Express was bought by Mortons Media and the investment required to commission a model is now considerable so it's a first step by the company. Obviously, we would like to do more and potential subjects have been identified but that's as far as its got so far.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

At present, future models depend entirely on how well 66720 sells. This is the first limited edition since Rail Express was bought by Mortons Media and the investment required to commission a model is now considerable so it's a first step by the company. Obviously, we would like to do more and potential subjects have been identified but that's as far as its got so far.

Simon

oh oh, standby for incoming froth, wild speculation and wishlisting!

The choice of prototype (whilst not of interest to me) is commendable.

There's a popular demand for a banger blue no frills Cl.47 with Sercks, and either domino or yellow headcodes. Offer it sans numbers and logos and it'd probably be a winner. However, it's possibly the easiest repaint even the average modeller can do themselves or buy in, so not a candidate for limited number commissioned patronage.

As the FOC's and TOC's increasingly use their traction as mobile advertising these complicated one offs will no doubt become more frequent. Why just bolt on 'plates to cement the relationship between your business partner (customer) when a set of vinyls makes a much bigger statement.

So as this use of large format, digitally printed graphics becomes the norm on the prototype, I suspect the more complicated ones are not worth third party repainting on models by even the most accomplished air brush wizards. Further, Bachmann I'd think would be unlikely to offer such as this in the main range given the limited appeal in terms of wide range desirability. No offence meant Simon.

My only concern is that I wonder if commissioned paint job models have an inherent risk of making the manufacturers of said models "lazy" (please note parentheses) in not offering their own new paint jobs on models because they'd rather pull in some money - at no risk to them if stock not sold - commission? Makes sense as a business model actually.

The flip side being Lima's constant issue of non standard paint jobs on their own range.

Rambling now, time to go! C6T.

• 3 weeks later...

+1

The chances of us doing a Hornby loco are quite slim, at least for the time being. 

A couple of sure fire hits leap to mind which have yet again escaped Hornby's 'main range' as it were.

One problem is the minimum production run from Hornby is 1000, as opposed to Bachmanns 512. Which is a major issue as it is obviously higher risk and doubles the initial cost. 

But, anything can happen so watch this space. I certainly know what I'd like to commission, but I'll keep my mouth shut. 

66720 is going down well, so I'll take this opportunity to say a big thank you to those of you who are supporting our latest venture and ordered a model. . it really is appreciated  :)  And obviously myself and Simon will keep progress updated on here as well as the Rail Express website. 

Alex Carpenter

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rumour going around GBRf that 66720 is about to be repainted back into standard Europorte livery, imagine that may have an effect on sales ?.

Thank you for letting us know.

So glad I haven't already pre-ordered it and the payment hasn't been taken. If this happens within the next few months before it's released then I doubt that many of them will sell.

I am also sure that the original article stated something along the lines of "it is likely to be in this livery for several years". Hmm maybe wishful thinking especially seen as though nothing is guaranteed with the liveries that locos wear nowadays. If I was Rail Express I definitely wouldn't have written something like that in the article because it's more or less suggesting a more concrete level of knowledge that the loco won't be repainted anytime soon.

Archived