Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

That is quite amazing detective work. My ignorance is such that I had to look up the name just to find where it was.

Not so much detective work as coincidence.

I asked the same question a few years ago on another forum about this image I took back in 1982ish.

cf67a083-a1f8-4c17-8c0c-6c3aed8bf7d5_zps

I´d never heard of it before either.

It was the 2 signals that I recognised.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That is quite amazing detective work. My ignorance is such that I had to look up the name just to find where it was.

By way of thanks, here is a photo not really for the location, but because it shows old trackwork which has probably been swept away by rationalisation.

attachicon.gifScan-150928-0005.jpg

Taken from the same place in 2011

post-9767-0-51329400-1443561918_thumb.jpg

Photo copyright C E Steele

• Like 2

I had assumed most of the sidings would have become redundant by now, which shows how much I know.

The only change that I can see is the turnout into the extreme left hand loop has been moved about 100 back, to beyond the crossover with the single slip.

This photo has no details and few recognisable features, unless you are an expert at signal placings.

I suspect that it is another one taken along the Erewash Valley route, as a number seem to be located in that area.

post-4474-0-15936200-1443601898_thumb.jpg

Excellent stuff, and that would make sense as many other slides seem to have been taken in the Chesterfield area.

Maybe the photographer was a local to the area. He/she certainly knows all the good locations with gentle curves that show the trains to best advantage.

Thanks very much, eastwestdivide and rivercider. This is making my archiving job much easier.

I realise that the precise location here may be impossible, but I think it is fenland, most likely in Cambridgeshire.

However, can anyone recognise the train service from the stock?  5 Mk2s all NSE and an all 1st coach included but no buffet, with 47 haulage?

post-4474-0-33418600-1443621644_thumb.jpg

I realise that the precise location here may be impossible, but I think it is fenland, most likely in Cambridgeshire.

However, can anyone recognise the train service from the stock?  5 Mk2s all NSE and an all 1st coach included but no buffet, with 47 haulage?

attachicon.gifScan-150930-0005.jpg

That is more likely to be south of Ely, although there were some bits around Downham like that. Other bits, such as Denver sluice have much higher embankments as the fens have sunk.

Here is another photo of a 5 coach train with 47 haulage, except this one does have a buffet and maybe more surroundings to aid identification.

A Mk1 buffet with such a short train makes me wonder if it is a portion to to be combined with another at a junction station?

post-4474-0-23856000-1443705477_thumb.jpg

Signalling looks very much like the Saltley / Trent / Derby 1969 style.

First thoughts that we're looking SW from Stenson Jn, with the lifted tracks to Willington power station on left, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts. Might be further down the line between Stenson and Derby, with the signal for Sunnyhill Up Loop.

Still not sure.....

Edit - Looks like a SW-NE cross-country service. Pretty sure it was taken looking SW from near Stenson Road bridge.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

This one should be quite straightforward for those who are familiar with the area, but it might give me some clues as to where other pictures on the film were taken - if I could sort all the slides into film order.

post-4474-0-79502800-1443712058_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This one should be quite straightforward for those who are familiar with the area, but it might give me some clues as to where other pictures on the film were taken - if I could sort all the slides into film order.

attachicon.gif60010 6:90.jpg

Bottom end of March yard, I´ve got pics of 40's and 44's taken from the same spot.

Mike.

I hope!!

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

Thanks for the March ID. I can see where you mean now, and the locos behind the trees fit with that as well.

It is useful, because on the film I am scanning there are more from March; which makes me think the 5 coach passenger trains could be near there as well.

I can see what you mean, so I have zoomed in on aerial photos to the bridge south of Duffield; but although the angle is not brilliant, the bridge there seems to be built of stone, and the arches do not look quite right.