Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

I was looking for a picture to prove it but most pictures of Bedale station seem to have been taken from the other end, either from the platform or level crossing; nevertheless I think it probably is.

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, keefer said:

Looks like a class 108 4-car DMC-TBS-TS-DMC

ABC from '79 shows 6 each of TBS - class 167 and TS - class 161 as they were at that time. All were Eastern allocated.

• RMweb Premium

By complete fluke i was just looking at that entry on sixbells:

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/800419as.htm

Have been trying to find a matching pic for Bedale this is the best I've found. Reference point is the tall single chimney coming out of the low roof in front of the gable end.

https://www.railwaystationphotographs.co.uk/bedale-railway-station-photo-leeming-bar---crakehall-redmire-line-1-2843-p.asp

Edit: found this on Flickr: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47422047@N07/4484554810/

• Like 3

This image is fascinating. A flood somewhere, but where? The loco is 45080 which was a Farnley Junction inmate for many years. However, Black 5s wandered all over the country and there seems to be significant electrification in the background - I thought maybe Stockport? 

2019-12-16-0006.jpg.8781fb4c79d6469e26f4eb291fda77ab.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

This image is fascinating. A flood somewhere, but where? The loco is 45080 which was a Farnley Junction inmate for many years. However, Black 5s wandered all over the country and there seems to be significant electrification in the background - I thought maybe Stockport? 

2019-12-16-0006.jpg.8781fb4c79d6469e26f4eb291fda77ab.jpg

The nearest electrification stanchion has a plate on it which reads LX 192 03, which puts it in the Edge Hill area, which would also tie in with the arches in the background, although exactly where I haven't pinned down yet.

Paul J.

Edited by Swindon 123
Silly spelling mistakes.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

My starter for 10 is Edge Hill Carriage Sidings.  The arches in the background are still there and the main lines are behind them.

Paul.

Written before Swindon123 posted (but only just)!

Edited by 5BarVT
Added info.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

My starter for 10 is Edge Hill Carriage Sidings.  The arches in the background are still there and the main lines are behind them.

Paul.

Written before Swindon123 posted (but only just)!

Downhill sidings, with the viaduct up to Viaduct Junction in the background

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Swindon 123 said:

The nearest electrification stanchion has a plate on it which reads LX 192 03, which puts it in the Edge Hill area, which would also tie in with the arches in the background, although exactly where I haven't pinned down yet.

Paul J.

I have found the photo below taken at Liverpool Edge Hill carriage sidings where the number on the electrification stanchion is the same as the one in the photo, although the last two numbers are unidentifyable. As stanchions carried identification for the "line" they were on, the fact that the identification plate starts with LX 192, puts it on the same "line" as the one in the original photo. In the photo below, the identification plate is on the stanchion to the right of 195111.

331001 195111 Edge Hill

Paul J

• Like 5

12 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Codes for OLE mast letters are shown on this site

http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/electrification/mast_prefix1.shtm

Interesting site that threw up a great trivia question - what links Los Angeles with  Ayr (Townhead) Sidings, to save you looking that answer is LAX, think an OHLE engineer must have had his tounge firmly in his cheek when allocating that code:D

Jim

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Interesting site that threw up a great trivia question - what links Los Angeles with  Ayr (Townhead) Sidings, to save you looking that answer is LAX, think an OHLE engineer must have had his tounge firmly in his cheek when allocating that code:D

Jim

I suspect the Ayr code predates common knowledge of IATA trans-atlantic airport codes.

• Like 1

I think the location is Naas Lane, just south of Gloucester, and the sidings are for RAF Quedgely. I haven't been able to find a photo from the same location, but I think the one below is taken from the opposite side of the line, and shows the sidings in the process of being lifted.   

Class 55 Deltic at Naas Lane, Gloucester

Whilst this taken from the other side shows the distinctive tree line.

Torbay & Dart Explorer

Paul J.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally, just noticed a detail on the Deltic on 1Z29 - the ETH jumper dummy socket has been moved from the front end to below the bufferbeam - any particular reason this was done, other than to give the front end as original look as possible?