Buxstone

D9JEF

Hi,

Finally decided to restart my Buxstone thread from the old RMweb. The original thread can be found at:

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=9&t=39893

The layout will represent a small TMD / fuelling point and a through station with 2 platforms for passenger trains (DMU's, Intercity Cross Country and Club trains) plus a bay platform which will handle -parcels stock. There is also a centre road through the station. Behind the station are 2 engineers sidings and a single freight only line. Overall the layout is 17 feet by 8 feet and the fiddle yard has 15 through roads. The layout is controlled by NCE 5 amp system (want to move to Lenz) and is designed with a mix of through running and shunting. All sidings have magnets placed under the track to allow automatic uncoupling. The uncoupling is remarkably simple and the idea came from Allan Cromarty who built Oulton TMD (which I help to operate at exhibitions).

Progress on Buxstone has been slow over the last 12 months - strange how much time babies take up !!

I have managed to modify the track layout, weather it and start ballasting.

I have attached a few pictures to give an overview of the layout and to show the progress:

Entrance to the TMD

post-7486-126713863174_thumb.jpg

General view of the TMD Area - The ballasted line is the headshunt from the engineers sidings

post-7486-126713864406_thumb.jpg

Location of the Fuel Unloading Point

post-7486-126713865532_thumb.jpg

Location of Running Shed and Fuel Point

post-7486-126713868014_thumb.jpg

Concrete Hard standing made from Polyfilla and painted with Concrete colour ...

post-7486-12671387064_thumb.jpg

Close up of ballasting

post-7486-126713862035_thumb.jpg

At the other end of the layout will be the station area ...

Station Approach from TMD

post-7486-126713871933_thumb.jpg

General view of Platform area - 3 lines through the station

post-7486-126713873669_thumb.jpg

AND FINALLY ... A low level view through the station area. Platforms are currently under construction.

post-7486-12671387602_thumb.jpg

I still have lots of work to do but I am pretty happy with the track plan now. Just need to add the headshunt from the Parcels platform.

Look forward to your comments

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back Jeff.

Layout looks like its coming on a treat now, I've just had a look back at the old thread and you can see the progress you have made.

Just a question how did you achieve the "concreted" shed area is it filler of some sort and was it a nightmare to complete without ruining the running?

Hi Ian,

The concrete pad was constructed using the method I read in Model Rail I think.

Basically, mark out the area you want to 'do', then:

- Polyfilla the track up to sleeper level. I didn't do this but wish I had !

- Glue flexitrack rail inside the rails, butting up to the sleeper chairs

- When dry, push string in between the running rail and the added rail to fill up the space

- Build a frame round the outside of the area for filling. I used wooden beading set at the same height of the running rail

- Spread polyfilla all over the area to be concrete

- When completely dry, use a sanding block to sand the polyfilla to a flay surface and the rails are shiny again - slow and tedious but worth it

- Pull out the string to leavethe gap for the wheel flanges to run in.

- Paint and weather

- Clean the running rails with a small screwdiver

Hope that helps. If not I will dig out the copy of Modle Rail and let you know

Cheers

Jeff

Hi D9JEF.

Your layout looks like another good work in progress, will keep my eye on this one. Can i ask you 2 questions though? I noticed you said you are looking to change systems from a NCE 5amp to a LENZ.

As im in the process of buying my first system would like to hear any good/bad points to look out for. Secondly is there any chance of making a video to see your coupling system working?

Many thanks in advance Darren.

Hi D9JEF.

Your layout looks like another good work in progress, will keep my eye on this one. Can i ask you 2 questions though? I noticed you said you are looking to change systems from a NCE 5amp to a LENZ.

As im in the process of buying my first system would like to hear any good/bad points to look out for. Secondly is there any chance of making a video to see your coupling system working?

Many thanks in advance Darren.

Darren,

The main reason for changing from NCE to Lenz is that having used both extensively I much prefer the Lenz system. NCE is ok as a start set but it does not remember settings (i.e. sound running and lights on) unless it is saved in the Recall stack. I believe you can re-map functions - but why should I? The Lenz system is much better and remembers the settings.

The obvious thing is to try lots of systems but personally I would go Lenz. Next time you are at an exhibition ask the operators who use DCC what system they use and do they like it? What limitations has it got and would they recommend ... I wish I'd have done that.

I will make a video of the coupling system tomorrow and post it when done.

Hope it helps

Jeff

Regards

Jeff

Darren,

The main reason for changing from NCE to Lenz is that having used both extensively I much prefer the Lenz system. NCE is ok as a start set but it does not remember settings (i.e. sound running and lights on) unless it is saved in the Recall stack. I believe you can re-map functions - but why should I? The Lenz system is much better and remembers the settings.

The obvious thing is to try lots of systems but personally I would go Lenz. Next time you are at an exhibition ask the operators who use DCC what system they use and do they like it? What limitations has it got and would they recommend ... I wish I'd have done that.

I will make a video of the coupling system tomorrow and post it when done.

Hope it helps

Jeff

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for your info. I have been looking at loads of web sites gathering as much info as possible and asking mates who have layouts, Lenz and NCE were the systems which i have narrowed it down to. I will pay a visit to a dealer who has lots of systems to try out, before making my final decision. Then i will try to get my head around uncoupling methods, prepare for me to pick your brains again....

cheers Jeff.

Hi Jeff

This layout looks great. Can I ask how you achieved the depot look in getting the ground level with the track rails? I have looked at the photo and it looks like timber???

Cheers

Nik

Hi Nik,

Thanks for the comments. The area to be filled is 'contained' with balsa wood strips. This is shimmed to the right height and fixed with track pins. I use a Steel rule across the rail tops as a guide.

I have some more concrete to do and I will take pictures as I do it and post to the site.

Regards

Jeff

Hi there,

I think your depot is really really good and i love the concrete effect. I was just wondering what you used to fix the the inner rail to the sleeper beside the slepper shoulder.

Cheers mate and i will keep checking in to see the progress!

Hi there,

I think your depot is really really good and i love the concrete effect. I was just wondering what you used to fix the the inner rail to the sleeper beside the slepper shoulder.

Cheers mate and i will keep checking in to see the progress!

Hi,

The inner rail is glued with standard UHU glue - just wait until it gets tacky before holding in place until set. If you are doing it on a curve you may want to nail some small nails in place to hold it on the curve. To get the correct distance butt the inner rail against the sleeper chairs.

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for your info. I have been looking at loads of web sites gathering as much info as possible and asking mates who have layouts, Lenz and NCE were the systems which i have narrowed it down to. I will pay a visit to a dealer who has lots of systems to try out, before making my final decision. Then i will try to get my head around uncoupling methods, prepare for me to pick your brains again....

cheers Jeff.

Hi Darren,

Sorry it took so long! I have taken a few photos of the uncoupling system and a quick video showing it in action.

To make the couplings work the following needs to happen.

Solder a semi circle of steel wire to the coupling hook at each end of the rake you want to uncouple from. I used a paper clip bent to shape about 1 cm long and bent so that it doesn't catch the rails on points. Each loco can then be detailed at both ends and a new coupling bar fabricated and attached to the end. Make them all the same height.

Photos of both are attached below:

Loop on Loco and steel wire on wagon

post-7486-126764321463_thumb.jpg

Wagon over the uncoupler - note the hook is raised up

post-7486-126764323211_thumb.jpg

On your layout you need to decide where you want the uncoupling points to be (preferably before ballasting!!). Drill an 8mm hole and fill with Polyfilla from below. Then push the 8mm circular magnet in from the top level with the baseboard

post-7486-126764317824_thumb.jpg

Ballast over the top and hey presto! Hidden uncoupler. The arrow shows where it is on the photo

post-7486-126764319234_thumb.jpg

The magnets can be bought from Magnets Magnets Magnets on a well known auction site.

A short video showing the system in action can be found at:

This shows 47 541 Queen Mother shunting a Cargowaggon van and uncoupling and moving away.

Hope you like it

Jeff

I have had some time to do some modelling and I've been busy building the first platform for Buxstone. Each platform will be able to hold a 7 coach train and they are built form Wills platform kits which have been glued to a length of 3' x 1' timber.

General view of the new platform

post-7486-126799957751_thumb.jpg

Closer view where I have painted the left hand half with a wash. Needs more work but relatively happy with the effect

post-7486-126799958574_thumb.jpg

The platforms will be accessed by an overbridge with the staion buildings up there. The next picture shows the view passengers will get. A non stop train formed of Mk 2 Air cons (a bit dusty!) powers through the centre road. Lima 47 317 Willesden Yard appears to have derailed at the far side of the station!

post-7486-126799960843_thumb.jpg

Another view from the platform end. The right hand platform shows the timber cut without any detailing. The holes between the tracks are where the uncoupling magnets are located.

post-7486-126799959712_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way through the station. The platform end will be disguised by an overbridge which will carry on behind the buffer stops (on the right).

Originally the track on the far left was going to be a bay platform but I have decided to continue this as a through road. This will give me 3 platforms and the through centre road. There is also the freight only line (just showing on the far right of the picture).

post-7486-126799961969_thumb.jpg

Look forward to hearing any comments.

Regards

Jeff

Hi mate!

Great photos...Is it DCC...?

Question for you... Have you had any problems with your Double Slip and DCC, getting it to work hand in hand with each other...? Is it Electrofrog Slip?

Thanks

Jamie

Hi mate!

Great photos...Is it DCC...?

Question for you... Have you had any problems with your Double Slip and DCC, getting it to work hand in hand with each other...? Is it Electrofrog Slip?

Thanks

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yes it is DCC - currently NCE pro cab but want to move to Lenz.

No problems with the Double slips and DCC. They are both electrofrog and wired according to the instructions. I have then attached power leads to the outside track on both sides.

Pretty simple and running is fine.

Cheers

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I'm sure this beauty keeps getting bigger every time i look at you're thread! Really starting to come together well now with the ballasting on the go and platforms too. Just a thought before you get too far, have you checked that the 3x1 is the right height with the wills top on, i seem to recall using something similar on Romley and with a card top it is actually too high (although i'm not fussed, but i'm sure some picky rivet counter will point it out one day!) However Romley doesn't have cork under the track, it looks like your's does, which may bring it to the correct height?

hope to see you at easter if you can make it, we're really cracking on with the N gauge now, you'd hardly recognise it!

Keep up the good work mate,

Richard

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the advice. I am using cork underlay under the track which brings the platform tops to the correct height.

Will check with the boss about getting a pass over the Easter weekend - Is Swithland on RMWeb yet?

Jeff

Thanks for the kind comments.

The 'period wireless' is actually a digital radio ....

The ballast is Geoscenics Medium ballast for the main running lines. This has been laid in the time honoured fashion. Lay dry, wet with water, add a watered glue with a drop of washing up liquid mix.

I will be using a much finer ballast for the TMD as I want to make it look a bit more unkempt.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the advice. I am using cork underlay under the track which brings the platform tops to the correct height.

Will check with the boss about getting a pass over the Easter weekend - Is Swithland on RMWeb yet?

Jeff

Jeff,

Yep thought the cork might put it right but best to be safe before its all 'cemented' in place! Ye if you can get over for a couple of hours i'm sure someone will need a hand with operating, (probably Ian when Rory decides to have a lie in!) Nope, and i don't think it will to be honest, Romley hasn't appeared on here as personally i prefer it to be a 'suprise' when people see it at shows (or in the Mag), especially with it being an exhibition layout, and i think we will take the same approach with Swithland. Anyway, i already loose enough modelling time on here as it is, i can't give up any more!

Cheers, Rich

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for the video upload and the pictures, sorry its been a while for me to reply. Been on here a few days ago but never really had time to comment. Its coming along great, what with the platforms starting to take shape.

Will have to give some serious thought to my coupling system.

Archived