Barmouth bridge OO

brgmini

Hi all . Not much going on model wise at the moment but have been thinking about / planning a repaint . I have a rail freight grey Bachmann class 37 and I'm thinking of giving it a coat of BR blue . Turning it into Bont y bermo 37427 . I would have liked to just get the Bachmann loco but they are abit out of my price range at the min (swmbo has said no way) and there dosn't seem to be anybody selling a body shell I could just swap on the Ebay (this was plan B) So plan C it'll be then :| I'm thinking of using car spray for the blue . I've seen in another thread that there is a vw colour that would suite . Name plates and numbers etc also seem ready available . As normal , any advice would be great . Think I just need to 'go for it' with a spray can :) .

Also , while I'm on , has anybody ever seen a model of Barmouth station ? I can't remember one . And before it's suggested NO ! My loft isn't big enough Thanks for looking in , Kev

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

love it, looking forward to seeing this progress

just dont do what my great great grandfather did when he was the engineer in charge of the real barmouth bridge back in the "olden days" (post cambrian i believe) and open the swing bridge on a sunny day only to find that due to heat expansion they couldnt close it again until the sun had set and the metal cooled down!

hi - would you know where i could get a copy of the scale drawings of barmouth brigde?

hi - would you know where i could get a copy of the scale drawings of barmouth brigde?

Hi clwydpj . I've done a lot of google searches for Barmouth bridge plans and all I ever find is photos of the bridge . In the end I've worked off photos with trains on the bridge to roughly work out the length of the metal spans and the tressle spacing etc . After a bit of trial and error , mainly drawing things on A3 paper and seeing how they looked , I came up with something I was happy about . As I've said before , my layout my rules

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a great story about the bridge Jim . I wonder when the swing section was last opened ?

According to Wikipedia (not always correct) the bridge was last opened in 1987.

Seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall so to speak with motivation . Scenery wise anyway ...... Sometimes having a layout in the loft (out of sight out of mind) I think it's very easy to shut the hatch and forget about it . Anyway , I have been up in the loft this afternoon just to run some trains . I'm glad to report it's all still working . Thanks again for looking in . All the best , Kev

Seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall so to speak with motivation . Scenery wise anyway ...... Sometimes having a layout in the loft (out of sight out of mind) I think it's very easy to shut the hatch and forget about it . Anyway , I have been up in the loft this afternoon just to run some trains . I'm glad to report it's all still working . Thanks again for looking in . All the best , Kev

It happens - many times - let it pass and it returns - been there since the beginning of the year to be honest  - just managed to cut two new baseboards yesterday looking forward to next weekend to continue.

Ian

• Like 1

Not sure if you've seen this website, it has some interesting detail photos and a link to a picture of the bridge open in the 1960s

http://happypontist.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/welsh-bridges-5-barmouth-bridge.html

Thanks for the link wombato . Some great pics and the one of the bridge open is great . Have just read that it's now continuous rail across the opening section . So we won't be seeing it open anytime soon .....

• 1 month later...

Hello all. A few of pics from todays running.

post-21151-0-30982200-1460906851_thumb.jpg

post-21151-0-95971200-1460906990_thumb.jpg

post-21151-0-00822200-1460907030_thumb.jpg

post-21151-0-94385300-1460907082_thumb.jpg

This is the 'Morfa' end of the bridge . As you can see , I've started to make the embankment out of cardboard. This will in time be covered in some sort of filler to represent the concrete that from my memory forms the approach to the bridge. Need to revisit the last few trestles with the paint brush too ! 

post-21151-0-33869400-1460907337_thumb.jpg 

While we are at this end , this is the fiddle yard at Morfa

post-21151-0-71668100-1460907901_thumb.jpg

And this is the yard at Barmouth north

Apologies for the quality of the pics. Todays running session was very brief. Have an ongoing problem with the dynamis controller . I'm thinking about a replacement ....... and sooner the better . Thanks for looking in , Kev 

• Like 12

Looking at the colour balance in the photos, is that a fluorescent light you have in there?  If so, that is probably the issue with the Dynamis.  The IR system does not like fluorescents.

Hi , yes there is a fluorescent tube in the attic . However , the Dynamis won't work for more than about 5 mins even when the tube is off ! Believe me , I have tried all sorts of things trying to get it to work . Thanks for the advise though :)

Hello everybody . No running today ...... but I have been busy .....

post-21151-0-72744500-1461436131_thumb.jpg

Covered the cardboard beach area with some filler . Quick and simple :yes:

post-21151-0-45517400-1461436300_thumb.jpg

Then I got the paint out . Again , a quick job with instant effect . This is just a base coat , it will be covered with pva and clear varnish ... (I think)

post-21151-0-66917900-1461436468_thumb.jpg

Bit of a nostalgic one .

Some news on the new controller . SWMBO has given the all clear but has said not this month !! So I need to wait ..... not my strong point :umbrage:

Oh well . Thanks for looking in and as normal , thanks for any comments . Kev  

• Like 5

Hi Kevin

Only just come across this and I have to say what an absolute stunning bit of modelling of a very well known prototype. Nice to see the era being modelled as well. Brings back a few memories of 37 haulage on the Cambrian. Just be aware of errant 37's derailing on the bridge. Shall be following along with interest now.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Hi Kevin

Only just come across this and I have to say what an absolute stunning bit of modelling of a very well known prototype. Nice to see the era being modelled as well. Brings back a few memories of 37 haulage on the Cambrian. Just be aware of errant 37's derailing on the bridge. Shall be following along with interest now.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus . Glad people are enjoying it as much as me . We used to holiday on the Cambrian coast as children and I guess that's where the inspiration for the layout and era has come from . I'm surprised that more people are not modelling the very scenic Cambrian coast line , but then again I'm very biast . There is still a massive amount of work to do on the layout , I received a seep point motor in the post earlier (just one to have a play with) so I'm thinking about a small control panel for the fiddle yards . I'm now starting to stockpile toilet roll for the water effect (see earlier comment/link) Thanks again for all the comments , keep them coming as its really helping me along . All the best , Kev

• Like 1