Byworth Steam/Diesel MPD

cactustrain

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your post and the kind comments. I'm only too happy to oblige and hope the following will be useful.

I can't remember which ash plant mine is modelled on - it may say somewhere in my layout thread.

This is the sketch that I worked from when scratchbuilding the ash plant:

post-7246-0-87663900-1293018821_thumb.jpg

This is a work in progress view:

post-7246-0-11802900-1293018889_thumb.jpg

The end result:

post-7246-0-07453300-1293018910_thumb.jpg

Note: the ash plant was an afterthought and isn't strictly prototypical (at least, not that I'm aware of!). I'd already laid the track and so the collection bin doesn't collect from under the adjacent track.

The srtucture is made from stryrene section and the bin track is N gauge rail laid on it's side.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck.

I haven't had a lot of time for modelling recently - stacked out with marking at the moment. I have been able to model two of my wagon fleet though:

The standard Hornby Shark ready to give someone a rough ride:

post-7246-0-83318600-1293020054_thumb.jpg

Dapol tanker, debadged for delivering oil to the Byworth terminal:

post-7246-0-34079000-1293020070_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Just tracked this layout down via "How realistic are......" thread. Utterly fantastic :yahoo: Its amazing the gems that are tucked away here and can pass one by- the atmosphere and detailing on this layout is a delight.

To the browser- read and enjoy!

I've been working on the pit area where the Hunslet is standing in the previous photo. Ash ballast has gone down and a yard light and some water hoses. Not 100% happy with the ballasting. I can't seem to get exactly what I'm looking for. I may have to settle for what I've got -trying to seek perfection is a recipe for madness! As it is, the wife has been giving me funny looks as I put another load of ash in the cooker to dry out . She probably thinks I've reverted to childhood and am making mud pies again. (I'm following the advice of OldBoiler on the previous site and grinding the ash up when it's wet).

Here's a dusk shot of the Hunslets in the revamped pit area. I do have a couple of other locos waiting for the paint shop, but I've been very well behaved recently and have been getting on with the layout so they'll just have to wait!

post-7246-126798585525_thumb.jpg

Good image - Dark Satanic Gloom - very depressing.................sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

It's a while since I posted on this thread and it's high time for something new.

First, thanks of all for the feedback. A bit of encouragement does wonders for motivation and of course, as with most things in life, you are unlikely to do things that you don't feel like doing!

There's not a lot new to report with Byworth. I have built a second version of the main shed, but I'm not happy with it yet - especially the ouside. This shot is taken inside the new shed with a 3MT in residence.

post-7246-0-19700000-1309966414_thumb.jpg

The new shed is much easier to photograph inside as there's more room to get the camera in. (something of a necessity now I've got a DSLR!)

In the meantime, this layout is going to take a bit of a backseat whilst I progress my 2011 challange entry - a scrapyard. It may bring a few tears to the eyes of steam lovers though!You can have a look here.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Well, since ceasing work on 1st October on Woodmores scrapyard, I haven't done any modelling at all. After working full time on the diorama for so long, I really needed a break! I had intended to build the scrapyard over about a two year period, but when the RM challenge came along, it seemed like too good an opportunity to miss.

I will be starting a new project soon which will probably end up being grafted onto Byworth somehow. I will be working on this at my own pace though - working to deadlines is too stressful and I like to model when I am in the moood - it is supposed to be fun after all!

I have got the camera out though and this was a shot I took today that I'm quite pleased with. I do look forward to the low autumn and winter sun every year.

post-7246-0-48239800-1319824244.jpg

Byworth shed will be making an appearance every now and again just to keep the cobwebs from building up!

• 5 months later...

Just a quick plug for my latest article which is coming up in the next issue of Hornby Magazine and shows you how to take better photos without using Photoshop. I believe in producing shots that are WISIWYG (What I saw is what you get).

In the meantime, here is something to wet your appetite.

post-7246-0-94339400-1333100026.jpg

Happy modelling,

Michael

• 10 months later...

Took the wraps off Byworth this weekend for a quick photoshoot. I've been playing with a cheap camera to see what it can do. It seems to take better shots than my DSLR on occasions!

Here's a test shot, with a class 26 in the 'A' shed. This is the Heljan model, but I've tweaked it a bit - particularly the front end. They'll be an article coming up in BRM explaining what I did.

post-7246-0-58447100-1361099425.jpg

Cheers guys. Byworth isn't being expanded at present although I have a couple of new engines, waiting for warmer weather and the paint shop, that will put in an appearance at some stage. I'm more inclined to go to my local club for layout operation now, so I have no current plans for expansion. I don't have the room either!

I have a couple of other ventures on the go, including something in O gauge. I can see me doing more diorama work in future as magazines have a constant need for more articles and new material!

Happy modelling,

Michael

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived