Byworth Steam/Diesel MPD

cactustrain

This is a belated continuation of my old layout spot on the previous RMWeb site: http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=9&t=48159

Progress is being made every week, although not as fast as I would like. If only I could retire....

I seem to be back to painting backscenes again. I have got some preprinted backscenes compiled from photographic sources, but they look too real (I would have to write quite a bit to explain what I mean by this!). Also, I want all the layout to be my own efforts (with a lot of technical support from other RMWeb members and the modelling press!)

I think many a good layout is spoilt by poor backscenes and so I have given this area quite a bit of thought. I consider watercolour to be the best medium to use- you can't beat it for creating atmosphere.

Here is the second attempt and whilst it does have areas that I am not 100% happy with, it'll have to do as I want to crack on and it is holding up everything else!

post-7246-126727838939_thumb.jpg

I have also managed to do so work on my locos (which is what I much prefer to do, really). Thanks to Bertiedog, I have managed to make some DIY coupling rods for my Hunslet - thanks for the good advice Stephen! They're not a patch on the Brassmasters ones, but they'll do for me.

post-7246-126727846207_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the pit area where the Hunslet is standing in the previous photo. Ash ballast has gone down and a yard light and some water hoses. Not 100% happy with the ballasting. I can't seem to get exactly what I'm looking for. I may have to settle for what I've got -trying to seek perfection is a recipe for madness! As it is, the wife has been giving me funny looks as I put another load of ash in the cooker to dry out . She probably thinks I've reverted to childhood and am making mud pies again. (I'm following the advice of OldBoiler on the previous site and grinding the ash up when it's wet).

Here's a dusk shot of the Hunslets in the revamped pit area. I do have a couple of other locos waiting for the paint shop, but I've been very well behaved recently and have been getting on with the layout so they'll just have to wait!

post-7246-126798585525_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments, Chris. The layout isn't industrial, it just so happens that the locos I have tackled first are industrial subjects! I would love to build an industrial complex for the Hunslets - it may happen when I break out of this baseboard and start my march around the room!

I have all the buildings ready to go on so progress should be relatively rapid from now on. I am conscious that models are easy to damage if you get impatient - so I am working on a small area at a time, working from the back to the front so as not to mess up something I have already completed. I have just put the ash plant on and ballasted around it so things are moving all the time. Will try and post when I can.

The ashplant is now installed and the yard lighting, which has given me an excuse to get the camera out! Some of these views won't be possible or will be restricted later when more buildings are added. So I'm snapping as I go.

Next I'm hoping to start installing the overhead electricity supply and switch work to the other end of the board. Hope to have all the buildings installed by the end of the year.

post-7246-12684806906_thumb.jpg

Hello :)

Those photos are really good, they are so atmospheric. That is fantastic modelling of a subject I have a soft spot for, dirty grimy industrial steam.

Excellent stuff.

Missy :)

• 1 month later...

Despite having just had two weeks off work, I haven't been able to get much modelling done - Easter is the busiest time for gardeners and the weather has been nice for a change. Anyhow, most of the hard graft is done now - my hands bare testament to this!

So, here' s a SITREP on the layout. First, despite saying that I'd completed all the buildings, I found a gap that I didn't know what to do with so I've been scratchbuilding again:

post-7246-12716898896_thumb.jpg

This is based on a building that used to stand at Dumfries shed. I must say that I wish I'd scratchbuilt all the buildings for the layout now. I think building so many Airfix kits when I was a kid lead me to modelling in a pedantic manner. My guitar playing's like that as well - I must get to know the fretboard better and break out from the tablature!

I have also added some brickwork to the pit area (inspired by looking at some of Tracey's shots of Camden shed):

post-7246-127169012825_thumb.jpg

Here's a view of the scrubland that I've build in one corner below the warehouses. This shot was taken by balancing the camera on the top of the backscene, although it looks like the view leaning out from the window of the warehouse.

post-7246-12716903268_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys. The bricks around the ashpits are of very simple construction. I built the bricks by cutting Humbrol air drying clay into rectangles and stuck them down once dry. Then I filled in the gaps between them using crushed ash and the usual dilute PVA mix.

By the way, you can't get Humbrol air drying clay anymore - Hornby have withdrawn it due to health and safety concerns - I suspect because it contains tiny fibres. You can substitute another make, but try and get a terracotta shade as this gives the bricks their colour.

Here's a view of the Checkers Hut. The lighting produces nice shadows that I hadn't planned on - I like happy accidents!

post-7246-127178744352_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Although the layout isn't finished, I have left it alone for the last few weeks for all sorts of reasons and have spent some time detailing my Hornby Patriot. I couldn't resist this loco when I saw it marked down at £60 at Haworth station. Apparently they were proving difficult to shift because of the poor chimney shape. So, arming myself with the Brassmasters detailing kit, I made a start.

The first thing I tackled was the tender:

post-7246-127365436508_thumb.jpg

Here you can see that I've opened up the coal space and the fireiron tunnel.

post-7246-12736543576_thumb.jpg

Next I made my own steps to replace the undernurished Hornby offerings. Strangley, although these are supplied with the 8F detailing kit, Brassmasters didn't include them with this one. The replacement axleboxes are also a big improvement.

post-7246-127365433144_thumb.jpg

Underneath, I have added a NEM coupling socket and converted to a plug and socket arrangement for the tender pickups - this is so I can get closer coupling. I've also added some chassis strengthing beams that are missing, but quite noticable on the prototype.

post-7246-127365434985_thumb.jpg

The loco has has a new chimney, new front steps, drain cocks, Gibson bogie wheels and the sand pipe to the front wheel. I've also put copper piping on the lubricators.

post-7246-12736543418_thumb.jpg

The smoke deflectors haven't been changed yet. This has presented difficulties for which I've added a post on the Questions/help section!

I'm quite pleased that the model still goes around the sharp curves and points in the depot. All in all, I think Hornby has produced a good model and I'm looking forward to putting it through the paint shop.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife's always telling me that the layout is devoid of life, so I decided it was high time to introduce some figures. The first one I tried was a hacked about Dapol figure - I'm happy with the way it's turned out, although I'm not sure what's holding his trousers up!

post-7246-127532827203_thumb.jpg

So, I've turned out a whole bunch of them and started to do some scenes. These are hampered by the fact that the figures are still attached to the rather large bases! Once the paint is fully hardened I'll varnish them and then they'll be ready to plant.

post-7246-1275328282_thumb.jpg

I fancy the idea of using Tacky Wax for this - I think I'd tire of seeing them in the same positions all the time.

Thanks for the link from your gallery. This layout has the hallmarks of greatness… it just oozes atmosphere with impressive attention to detail – two

qualities that make a real difference. You've also photographed it very skillfully, which is a bonus. Looking forward to seeing more of this little gem.

Thanks Mucky Duck! I do have a distinct advantage in that I'm only working on a small area. Many layouts are much larger and so the detailing is bound to be diluted or you will have a build timescale where you are likely to run out of enthusiasm first. Many RMWeb members have also been of great help through the Q&A feature, so I must share any credit with them. Your encouragement is most welcome though.

I'm working on some cobbles at the moment and these are the results so far:

post-7246-127567459273_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Having been on holiday and visited Pendon museum, I feel like ordering a skip for my efforts! It's a truly outstanding layout - more to do with the British landscape as it was in the 1920s than with railways. Apparently Model Rail have been and it will appear in a future issue, so that should be worth looking out for. I think it's the scale of the project and the no compromise attitude to quality that make it stand out. I took some snaps, but can't put them up as they can only be for personal use. Seriously, if you haven't been, then it is worth the trip.

I've done a bit more on the area around the ash plant. After looking at views of the steam scene around the 50/60s, I think we could say that the look I am after is unkempt! Anyway, here is my effort:

post-7246-127841469648_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Love the layout, its inspired the look i want to acheive on mine now, but I'm waiting for the Scencraft 4 road shed for me to start work though. How do you get that uneven grade of ballast look around your inspect pits? It looks like I need to make some ash, do you have an open fire where you can collect the ash? I'm a bit of a novice with ballasting having only really used woodland scenic fine stuff. Also what did you use to get the over grown look?

Regards

Paul

It looks like I need to make some ash, do you have an open fire where you can collect the ash? I'm a bit of a novice with ballasting having only really used woodland scenic fine stuff.

Regards

Paul

Those throw away BBQ's are useful, or pay a visit to your local Heritage Railway, and fill a large bag with loco ash ,or ask some one to do it for you, and get busy grinding it down.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it’s welcome - we all need encouragement!

Last week I visited Didcot. Useful first hand experience for my depot, not to mention detailing snapshots. A nice place, I might be converted to the GWR yet!

post-7246-127859552603.jpg

Although Byworth is predominantly a steam depot, I wanted to include some diesel facilities. This may not be entirely prototypical, but I'm with Alan Downes on this one - if it looks right, it is right. My aim from the outset has been to capture the 'look and feel'/ambiance of loco servicing facilities anyway.

Here is my diesel refuelling point. Yes it's the ubiquitous Knightwing kit! This was one of the first buildings I put together for the layout and my standards have changed since then and there’s a number of things I would change if I built it again. Actually though, I’d probably scratchbuild it now. Anyhow, at least I have been able to give it a weathering job that’s half decent. I added the hoses today as well.

Making good progress at the moment as I’m not at work (it’s my quiet time of the year). I’ll be taking a few days out from modelling though as I’m hoping to record an album with my friend up the road. It’s an eclectic mix of America/Buddy Holly and Travis. I've got too many hobbies!

post-7246-127859505839_thumb.jpg

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=46699

I like that a lot. In fact I'm liking the whole filth and horribleness of the entire scene. There are too many layouts with everything pristine but this is definitely not one of them. :)

Thanks Ruston, you’re right, I can't stand neaty neaty layouts! It's so unnatural! Railway depots, especially in the age of steam, are industrial sites and are always filthy and untidy, in my experience.

I’ve now installed the coal drencher and have modelled some puddles around the track, since this area would have been rather damp. I suppose some sort of drainage system may have been a necessity here in reality.

post-7246-127868175808_thumb.jpg

post-7246-127868176866_thumb.jpg

I will be adding a lot more filth around this area in due course as well!

Archived