Byworth Steam/Diesel MPD

cactustrain

Hi,

Superb looking layout, detail is awesome pictures are so evocative. I am going out to my garage with a match and some petrol it will save on getting a skip.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

Super modelling Mr Anonymous!

I like the whole grotty feel to it.

Has a great sense of atmosphere. :D

I particularly like the mucky puddles and embedded bricks around the track.

Will be watching this thread with interest.

More photos and a plan please......

Cheers

Marc

Thanks for the compliments, guys. It's good to know your work is 'grotty' and 'horrible'! Of course, that's just the look I'm after.

With regard to the weeds, there's nothing new here really. It's static grass, hanging basket liner, sprigs and Woodland Scenics Fine Leaf Foliage. The Fireweed is homemade and is basically made using Barry Norman's method outlined in Model Rail Winter 1998 issue. It is boring to make, but stick Alison Krauss and Union Station on the stereo and the time soon passes. The banjo keeps up a productive workrate tempo! I'm lucky in that my wife is a bit of a wild flower expert and if I make something and it doesn't look like the real thing, then I get advised accordingly.

I uploaded some more photos to my gallery yesterday. (Blame Andy Y, he said he liked 'em! - should have gone to Specsavers)

TTFN,

Michael

Hi Paul, I'm Cactustrain and always have been! I was Anonymous for a while due to an account mix up when moving server/software. Andy Y has recently fixed it for me.

This one's for your partner, Ryan, and explains where my username comes from! These are Echinopsis hybrids. Some Schick, but many from Southfield at Bourne. If you haven't been there then be prepared for a shock. The scale of his greenhouses and the quality of his plants is jaw dropping.

post-7246-128085090796_thumb.jpg

Haven't found a way of getting them on the layout yet....

Oh and I suppose I ought to include a bit about model railways as well! He's the latest bit of scenery.

post-7246-128085095525_thumb.jpg

TTFN,

Michael

Hi Paul, I'm Cactustrain and always have been! I was Anonymous for a while due to an account mix up when moving server/software. Andy Y has recently fixed it for me.

This one's for your partner, Ryan, and explains where my username comes from! These are Echinopsis hybrids. Some Schick, but many from Southfield at Bourne. If you haven't been there then be prepared for a shock. The scale of his greenhouses and the quality of his plants is jaw dropping.

post-7246-128085090796_thumb.jpg

Haven't found a way of getting them on the layout yet....

Oh and I suppose I ought to include a bit about model railways as well! He's the latest bit of scenery.

post-7246-128085095525_thumb.jpg

TTFN,

Michael

…and there was I thinking that it was a spot of simple genius on your part, choosing to be known as 'Anonymous'!

Anyway, thanks for the cacti… Barbara is impressed. She has just two Echinopsis hybrids, affectionately known as 'E.T.'

and 'The Other E.T.', both of which flowered a couple of days ago…

post-6878-128086622528.jpg

Also, appreciate the Fireweed-making tips, they really do add to an already impressive layout. Only one problem…

now I'll have to have a go!

• 1 month later...

A few pictures of the MPD, which is more or less complete.

post-7246-067792600 1285363144_thumb.jpg

This one is called 'the view from the coaling tower':

post-7246-087658000 1285363152_thumb.jpg

post-7246-001806300 1285363161_thumb.jpg

post-7246-058034400 1285363168_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to get the baseboard outside at some stage, but I need to wait for some decent weather. In Yorkshire, I may have to wait some time!

• 1 month later...

Michael, it doesn't surprise me at all. Not only is Byworth a very attractive layout but you've photographed it so sympathetically. It has a gritty realism that is such a welcome change from the 'chocolate box' prettiness.

I'm impressed with many layouts, moved by few… but this is one. Well deserved!

Hi folks,

First, a big thank you for those of you who voted for my photos. There was some stiff competition, especially from other RMWebbers!

I can't pretend that I didn't put a lot of effort into taking many shots specially for the contest, so it's nice to win. I also had a session showing many of my first efforts to a colleague at work, Alan, who gave me valuable feedback as to how to improve. Thanks Alan!

Thank you too for all those who have offered encouragement and help via RMWeb. I'm not going to mention you all by name, but you know who you are!

And last, but not least, thanks to all those who make RMWeb happen, the folks who run it and all you posters. Hope that's everyone!

Happy modelling,

Cactustrain

• 1 month later...

Hello cactustrain

I'm well impressed, very atmospheric, well worth the award....

I'm working on a layout based on Lostock Hall and am having trouble finding close up shots of the ashplant. I was directed here by another member to have a look at yours.

Would you have any more photos or plans that you'd be willing to post? They'd be most appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation......

Archived