DJModels Limited, End of Year report, 2015

DJM Dave

DJModels Limited End of Year Report 2015

Hello everyone, I hope you are enjoying the festivities and that they are going well for you all.

This last 12 months has been very interesting and exciting for me personally, with the evolution of DJModels in the British RTR market place.

Things haven’t always gone so smoothly, but I guess that’s the rough and the smooth of the business I suppose.

High on the list of achievements for 2015 include the retooled Beattie Well Tank to take the coreless motor I use now, plus the models re-introduction earlier on this year. Further to this model, I’m extremely proud to say that the Adams O2 Steam Locomotive which was awarded to me to further develop, finish and bring to market, has been successfully completed and release by Kernow over the last 2 months in many guises, showing just what DJModels has to offer in terms of detail, running characteristics and features. Work is continuing apace on other Kernow commissions too.

In between times I have helped my friends at FTG models release their long awaited SPA wagon in Railfreight Red, and have just delivered another batch in Network Rail Yellow (grab them while you can) to FTG models for release any day now.

I am pleased to say that Hatton’s, famous for not only their wonderful Liverpool shop and online presence but competitive prices contracted DJModels to produce a OO gauge GWR class 14/48xx Steam Locomotive.

The First EP of this has been delivered for testing and snagging, and will lead onto production within a few months I would think. Please keep looking at the ‘retailer commissions’ section of RMweb for details from Hattons and Kernow.

The Hattons King design is coming on in leaps and bounds and has been commented on by many as ‘the ultimate King’. While this is very gratifying, rest assured neither Hattons or I will rest on our laurels with this model, and we are continuing to check, re check and change items where necessary.

I’m sure this will be delivered during 2016 to much acclaim.

I have also welcomed Irish Railway Models, as they have commissioned DJModels to produce the Irish Railways Ballast wagon, and although this cad/cam is ongoing it looks really special and I ask that you , if able, get right behind this project.

DJModels first locomotive, the OO gauge J94 is in final stages of decoration to get things ‘just right’ before reaching its production slot very early next year. 5 Models will appear from DJModels to our stockists while there are 13 special editions also being made for DJModels Stockists.

The Class 71, was first shown in EP form to visitors at the Fareham show last September, and a couple of snags were noticed and along with 3-4 other things I was not happy with, re-entered the tool room for tooling modifications to it. Adding even more high resolution detail, and removing the pug nose front end and putting back the missed off radius curve to the cab corner.

I can confirm that the bogie side frames are a full scale width and not set back, there will be cab window pillar and roof vent variants (to be acknowledged on the Kernow web site in the next week), see through step stations, Lighting is as you would expect, with thanks to drivers of the 71’s when in service for their help on that facet of authenticity.

Pained samples are expected very soon.

On the back of the success of the 71, I announced the 74 with options for those who ordered (and you can still order) the 71 to get a discount on ordering the class 74. These will be about 8/9 months away at present progress.

Painted Bachmann, and Replica samples have been sent to China to copy the colours and lustre of these models so they won’t look out of place with your stock when they arrive as I know just how bad colours that are not supervised or matched can affect the look of the finished model.

Things at DJModels have changed so much that in recent months I have announced a range of N gauge wagons that I first showed at the NGF forum show in Preston last October. Having discounted wagons at an early stage in the business development, an offer was made to me that I could not refuse, and as such I authorised tooling to commence. I also approved for tooling to commence on the N gauge Class 17, 23 and J94 (in that order) an was expecting the Class 17 EP before 2015 end (first EP).However like all factories in the lead up to Christmas, you get bumped down the list for tool room time and production too, and this has duly happened to both the Wagons and Class 17.

Once I tighten things up regarding specified production etc, then this glitch should be eliminated in future years.

With regards to other models, that I have announced, the Q6 was cancelled in OO gauge, due to a competitor producing one quicker than I would have. Having seen this model it looks lovely, and would again, fully recommend it to the North Eastern Modellers.

The 59 is in abeyance as negotiations are still ongoing with third parties, and work has stopped accordingly.

The rest have work ongoing on them, and progress reports will be issued when I have something to say on my web site first then will probably migrate rather quickly to RMweb.

With the duplication that seems to be going on at the moment, I have decided not to announce anything until I have something tangible to show, as I feel that as a small business this makes more commercial sense rather than having duplication on the market place. I will no longer announce something for 2/3 years time, therefore putting a discouraging marker in the ground. It ultimately helps no one. I also feel that the approach of ‘teasers’ is dead, and people want to see something tangible, even I it’s just a cad/cam. This approach, if followed by other manufacturers, will save time and money being wasted in duplication and loss of sales.

Please note I am not advocating the breaking of competition laws by talking amongst ourselves, I just think that maybe if we all announced our 2 yearly models in the same week of the same year (maybe May 1st for example), individual companies could decide yes or no to going ahead with a duplicated model. Just seems like sense to me, that’s all, and I’d personally, as a modeller, be more able to plan my acquisitions accordingly knowing that company x is doing one within 12 months etc.

It probably won’t work, or get shot down by the 'nay sayers', but it’s an idea.

Later in 2016 I shall be issuing a pdf catalogue of DJModels 2016/2017 items that you can download and use as a reference for future years.

I am also going to start a library on my web site of DJModels made locomotives and rolling stock, showing what I’ve made , product numbers, liveries and the date of release. This should grow over the years to form a decent reference point for all DJM produced items to be used by all.

In closing, I thank you for your continued support here and via my website, and look forward to producing something you can use on your layouts over the coming 12-24 months.

Thank you and Happy New Year to you all!

Dave

DJModels Ltd

Dave,

All I can say is that I wish you all the best of luck for 2016 and I hope that everything goes to plan. It looks like it will be an exciting year, again I expect there will be 'ups and downs' to come (more 'ups' I hope!!) but I greatly admire your drive, effort and enthusiasm. Whilst the project I most eagerly await will emerge even further in the future I will do everything possible to support your fledgling business!

Keep up the good work, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

David

Looking forward to the J94 hitting our shelves. The EP sample we have on display is certainly whetting the appetite of those who have seen it.

Also the N gauge wagons announcement is creating a great deal of interest.

Hopefully 2016 will see you get fully established on the British modelling scene. We are looking forward to having your models as part of what we are able to offer.

C&M wish you every success for the coming year.

Mike

<snipped>

I can confirm that the bogie side frames are a full scale width and not set back, there will be cab window pillar and roof vent variants (to be acknowledged on the Kernow web site in the next week), see through step stations, Lighting is as you would expect, with thanks to drivers of the 71’s when in service for their help on that facet of authenticity.

Pained samples are expected very soon.

<snipped>

Thank you and Happy New Year to you all!

Dave

DJModels Ltd

I hope the "pained" examples aren't too tortured! A couple of aspirins may help.  :jester: 

More seriously, I am looking forward to getting my green 71 and when my tax refund arrives, I will be ordering a 74.

All the best for the New Year, Dave. And thanks for keeping us all in the loop with your excellent communications.

• RMweb Gold

As the delighted owner of a couple of O2s, each of which ran perfectly out of the box, I can say the 'vapourware' jibes of some cynics during DJM's early days are unfounded. These Kernow commissions are the real deal.

We now have a new manufacturer, with ambition and drive, delivering state-of-the-art products, and that is good for our hobby.

I wish Dave continuing success in 2016, and look forward to reading positive reviews of his products in future.

At the risk of sounding boring with a "me too" post..

I'm going to sound boring with a "me too" post.....

Happy New Year.  I'm looking forward to contact from Sherwood Models, Hattons and whoever is doing the yellow J94 to say they are ready to relieve me of money for them, and Sherwood Models again to say the first wagons want paying for........

Les

There has been no mention of the Gauge 0 models, are either of these likely to be produced in 2016?

Dava

Hi,

These were / are scheduled to be after the. OO and N gauge announcements.

But to give dates at the moment would be ambitious.

Cheers

Dave

DJModels Limited End of Year Report 2015

With the duplication that seems to be going on at the moment, I have decided not to announce anything until I have something tangible to show, as I feel that as a small business this makes more commercial sense rather than having duplication on the market place. I will no longer announce something for 2/3 years time, therefore putting a discouraging marker in the ground. It ultimately helps no one. I also feel that the approach of ‘teasers’ is dead, and people want to see something tangible, even I it’s just a cad/cam. This approach, if followed by other manufacturers, will save time and money being wasted in duplication and loss of sales.

Please note I am not advocating the breaking of competition laws by talking amongst ourselves, I just think that maybe if we all announced our 2 yearly models in the same week of the same year (maybe May 1st for example), individual companies could decide yes or no to going ahead with a duplicated model. Just seems like sense to me, that’s all, and I’d personally, as a modeller, be more able to plan my acquisitions accordingly knowing that company x is doing one within 12 months etc.

It probably won’t work, or get shot down by the 'nay sayers', but it’s an idea.

Very interested report Dave many thanks for sharing your thoughts with us all. 

I'm certainly with your on the couple of points that I have highlighted from you report above and feel that both make a great deal of commercial sense. The teasers certainly get the hobby buzzing through these forums and the chit chat around the model shops and in many ways prompt your business in many good ways but I feel that it also fuels the 'naysayers' as you call them which then leads to negatives to what you are trying to achieve. 

I'm sure that you have found that running your own business is very different from your days as an employed person ..... you certainly hit the market place with all guns blazing and I feel that you have probably learn't more from this experience than anything else in your business learning curve. 

If I were in your position I would let the announced projects do the talking for you as it is the finished product that will get you the best possible promotions. I'm sure that the J94 is going to be massive in its own right and the projects with Hattons will prove any doubting Thomas's wrong. 

As a modeller you have your ear to the ground when it comes to the 'wants' of your fellow modellers in whatever gauge that might be and sometimes it's not the big new must have locomotive that will make the big sales figures but more so the often forgotten unsung hero that will surprise market today. 

The Very Best for the coming year Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I've got a few J94's on pre-order and really look forward to getting my hands on them, I also look forward to seeing the work progress on the Hudswell Clarke.

Good Luck Dave. I hope DJM has a great 2016.

Ta

Owen

Well, can I say that I am looking forward to the next years report. Hopefully it will say that sales have been good, turnover within targets, new models proceeding as planned and that you are making a living out of this. After all, it is your own monies and lively hood at stake in this fickle market.

I liked the wow factor when SLW smashed out the Class 24 a model which seems to have few if any issues so on the one hand I like the idea that we get an announcement and images of the finshed model out within a week or two.  I do think the 2 or 3 years ahead announcements are a rather tired approach now but what I will say (although the SLW product would at this stage be the exception to the rule where it comes straight to market) is that one advantage of at least some advance notice of a model is good for the hobby in so far as comments and feedback can be gathered to get the model right.  Daves approach as suggested where we see CADs seems to be a good one and we allow the old methods of saying oh XYZ model will be released in 3 years as I personally find that a little boring now.

• RMweb Premium

May I echo Ian's words and acclaim the fact that we now have a new manufacturer of high-quality ready-to-run models, one who is showing the "big boys" a way to the future, one who engages with the customer base directly and one who responds to feedback good and bad.

I am more than happy with the DJ-input diesels released prior to DJModels days and I am delighted with the DJModels steam locos now in the collection.  I confidently look forward to adding a pair of 74s to the collection in due course and of course numerous Kernow MRC / DJM-produced items as well.

For one man to place such a firm belief in himself, his ability, his products and his business partners to stake all on going it alone is a decision very few would be willing to even consider.  The results are starting to come in and are proving the decision, and the hard work behind it, resoundingly correct.

I wish you, Dave, and your business a very Happy New Year and am delighted to be able to offer support in some small way as a customer both directly and indirectly (through KMRC commissions) of this "vapourware" certain doomsayers have been troubling the internet about.

• RMweb Premium

Is this the right place to ask what is happening with the N gauge J94s?

Alastair M

No, I'd say not - the 'Ask Dave' thread would be more appropriate.

Unless you are just trolling, of course.  Plenty of them around.  If your query is genuine, then my apologies.

No, I'd say not - the 'Ask Dave' thread would be more appropriate.

Unless you are just trolling, of course. Plenty of them around. If your query is genuine, then my apologies.

Was there any need for that ? Or have we now got to the stage where any comment in a DJM thread which is not a glowing endorsement is automatically dismissed as 'trolling' ?

Archived