Expo EM 2016

Blue Max

Been doing this route for years on business trips, best way to miss most of M4 and M25 is - M1 to J15A, A43 to M40, south to High Wycombe, A404 to M4 and leave at J10 of M4 on to the A329. and the leisure centre

Sounds a bit of a faf but never had traffic issues yet and really quite straightforward.

Just dissapointed I can't make it this year.

Would be interested to know if Adrian Swain of ABS Models does make it to the show after his recent illness, if anyone can confirm this I would be grateful.

Thanks, SteveT

Been doing this route for years on business trips, best way to miss most of M4 and M25 is - M1 to J15A, A43 to M4, south to High Wycombe, A404 to M4 and leave at J10 of M4 on to the A329. and the leisure centre

Sounds a bit of a faf but never had traffic issues yet and really quite straightforward.

Would be interested to know if Adrian Swain of ABS Models does make it to the show after his recent illness, if anyone can confirm this I would be grateful.

Thanks, SteveT

See below

Been doing this route for years on business trips, best way to miss most of M4 and M25 is - M1 to J15A, A43 to M4, south to High Wycombe, A404 to M4 and leave at J10 of M4 on to the A329. and the leisure centre

Thanks, SteveT

Sorry chaps missing some text!

Think you mean:

A43 to M40, M40 south to High Wycombe.

Just to say that it was a great show once again - so no surprises there - and a quick thanks to all who made it happen that way. Thanks for the extended parking at the back of the centre - that worked for me. Trade good and some good demonstrations.

• RMweb Gold

Great show. Well worth the 3 hour drive each way from North Devon!

Very impressed with the standard of layouts and relaxed atmosphere.

Bought a few kits but could easily have spent more.

Great show as always, just a huge shame that the leisure centre catering staff are so rude and so poor at thier job. Needless to say i gave up walked away and took my business elsewhere. That did not however detract from the excellent show with great layouts and traders. I spent a few quid and had a great day. Thanks to all involved in running the show.

A great show and well worth the lengthy trip, will need to think about driving in future though, 'fraid Bracknell just isn't as well connected by public transport as we'd like.

Highlights, well too many to mention really and it would be unfair to single out just one or two. A lengthy chat with Roy Jackson was fascinating and the stock he had on display was superb.

On the downside, sorry that Adrian Swain was too ill to attend and that Bill Hudson is very poorly. I'm sure others will join me in wishing these two stalwarts of the Expo EM traders our very best wishes.

Excellent first day of expoEM today. Great selection of layouts and got what I was looking for mostly. Glad we booked a hotel this year, will make going back tomorrow a lot easier. Though was surprised to find the hotel room is bigger than my flat! it has a kitchen and a lounge... glad I left a microwave wheat bag in the boot now as it does help with the back.

Will process the photos I took today and upload them tomorrow or Monday. Looking forward to another great day.

• RMweb Premium

Have had a very enjoyable day operating Hebble Vale Goods. Fantastic show, friendly and inspirational.

It's well worth the effort of attending, in case you're wondering!

A couple of photos attached of the layout and its coal drops. One is a panorama and has distorted slightly. The prototype is definitely not!

post-6673-0-19759000-1463261994.jpeg

post-6673-0-06594200-1463262006.jpeg

Now back home safely from another wonderful day at ExpoEM. Definitely worth the extra day and hotel stay.

Thanks for a great show. Look forward to next year. Brighton East was a deserved winner of best in show imo. Though the standard of all the layouts there was excellent.

Now back home safely from another wonderful day at ExpoEM. Definitely worth the extra day and hotel stay.

Thanks for a great show. Look forward to next year. Brighton East was a deserved winner of best in show imo. Though the standard of all the layouts there was excellent.

Agree, Brighton East was a wonderful layout. If only it was set in the 1970s or 1980's.....

We (the Ynysybwl crowd) had a great time. Good exhibition despite the fact that the web site isn't too good. I was very worried the web site would spoil the whole show but amazingly nobody seemed to notice.

I think we need to put a phonetic guide on the front of the layout and we have now become well known for gardening in miniature.

Bracknell - not my favourite place but there are worse. We did try to find another pub beside the Weatherspoons. After an hour or walking, we found they do exist but one looked rather rough and the other was for people 40 years younger than us. We did manage to find a curry house on the Saturday, in amongst the scaffolding, and we were wonderfully entertained by the owner. The hotel is excellent.

I really like ExpoEM. Quality wise it is top notch. The traders are excellent and it's good to see people and have a chat. I even had myself scanned by Modelu so I will be appearing on a layout at 1 to 76 scale sometime in the near future.

• RMweb Gold

On behalf of those involved with Brighton East, a big thanks to GeeVee and his crew for an excellent weekend. Wining best layout was a very pleasant surprise, especially when you consider the depth of quality in the layouts present. That is 3 out of the last 4 years for the South Hants Model Railway Club or its members, I am getting worried we will not be invited again! 

Was Metropolitan Junction there? Any photos? 

Indeed it was.

I took a number of photos over both days. Need to sort through them and resize them before uploading them here. First though I need tea.

• RMweb Premium

It was. And in running order. Lots of people pointed cameras at it but I wasn't one of them.

Another cracking weekend. good layouts, good trade and lots of good people to talk to.

I should just like to mention that those lovely cottages and allotments/gardens on Ynysybwl deservedly picked up the trophy for the best scratchbuilt items at the show. That layout ticks all the right boxes for me. Interesting and unusual subject matter, lovely design, interesting operation, very little that wasn't built by modellers rather than bought, good quality running and superb attention to detail and workmanship.

St. Merryn is another that I really enjoy seeing for all the same reasons. that won the trophy for the operation of the layout, again, well deserved. The fact that any of the trophies could have been awarded to several other layouts without anybody raising an eyebrow speaks for the overall quality of the show. EXPO EM is a show where you don't get "space fillers".

Congratulations to all the trophy winners and to GeeVee and the rest of the people who put in all the hours needed to make this such a "must see" annual event.

It certainly was!  I took no photos.  PenrithBeacon was there on Sunday - as usual, I did not spot him - and may have captured it.

I was at both days of the show and was kept busy with layouts, demos, a bit of shopping and cuppas with chums.  Gee Vee has set a high bar for his successor in terms of the mix of layouts and trade.  Showing Metropolitan Junction was something of a master stroke.  How differently things were done in the 1950s [sigh].  I attended two of the lectures, those by Duncan Redford [drduncan] on wagons and Jol Wilkinson [LNWRmodeller] on soldering techniques, finding both helpful, and braved the plague of locusts that is the members' sales stand.   Doubtless I missed a few bargains but it does depend what you mean by a bargain.

The show guide was quite well laid out but I'm afraid contained some errors.  Perhaps the worst was giving the wrong date for RailWells!  As any fule no, it is 13th and 14th August.  If you don't believe me, I have one of Chris Challis's handbills which I am holding up to the screen so you can see it.

This is where I am supposed to be disparaging about the architecture of Bracknell town centre.  Last year I found the piles of rubble a great improvement and I mourn their passing.  Perhaps the structures which will replace them will be nice when they are finished.  Perhaps not.

Chris 

Archived