As I understand things, Scottish feudal law could allow the growing and harvesting of grain under two provisions: Thirlage, and Sacrilage, the latter applying where the grain was to be used other than for the production of whisky.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, it is an odd word. I have in the past  heard the the expression "to be in thirl " used , as in to owe or be obliged to. 

Sorry Edwardian, I seem to have wandered off topic a bit . 

I might mention the CR vehicles allocated to Waddell's sausages, but I won't. Until that is I have made one.... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Dave John said:

Hmm, it is an odd word. I have in the past  heard the the expression "to be in thirl " used , as in to owe or be obliged to.

I think that should be 'in thrall' - stemming from Viking surfs or slaves.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Hmmm ...... Viking surfs? Was that a method of beaching their long ships. :mda:

Oops! I'll write it out 50 times.

Serf, serf, serf, serf.....

• Friendly/supportive 3

16 hours ago, Shadow said:

Just going through some old slides and came across these ones of "Lion" from the early 80s.

Thought they'd be of interest on here. Think they were taken at Keighley and Worth Valley.

PICT0488.JPG.4061479b0700171d4ba2ec3b1b0a31ea.JPG

PICT0487.JPG.98b609b199da9fa5f013a913ed2d8586.JPG

Lovely images,  Anthony Dawson is looking for pics of Lion to put in his new book btw 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Oooh, very interesting, thank you.

As you know, this is a line that has piqued my interest in the past, and, thanks to recent indexing efforts, I can tell you where on CA it to find it(!):  Balaklava Inglenook 

I hope the Dawson book will build upon the only thing that I have so far found on the subject: Link

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

As you know, this is a line that has piqued my interest in the past, and, thanks to recent indexing efforts, I can tell you where on CA it to find it(!):  Balaklava Inglenook 

Going back to that page, I noticed the drawings of Bridge Rail...
The piece of Bridge Rail track I have, looks a little different - Overall width is 11.5".
It was an off-cut (for me) when working on the M5 in Somerset in 1971.
The full length of this rail was supporting the first floor of a cottage,

along with an early (very rusty) lorry chassis as the vertical, middle, support.

Bridge Rail.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Oooh, very interesting, thank you.

I hope the Dawson book will build upon the only thing that I have so far found on the subject: Link

Were the musings on the BI that long ago?

Crumbs!

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Penlan said:

Going back to that page, I noticed the drawings of Bridge Rail...
The piece of Bridge Rail track I have, looks a little different - Overall width is 11.5".
It was an off-cut (for me) when working on the M5 in Somerset in 1971.
The full length of this rail was supporting the first floor of a cottage,

along with an early (very rusty) lorry chassis as the vertical, middle, support.

Bridge Rail.jpg

That looks more like Barlow rail to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlow_rail

Michael

• Agree 3

As I recall, the rail on the Crimean railway was laid on log sleepers and the bridge rail was probably second-hand.  I wonder if it was Eastern Counties?  Brassey had been the contractor, there was some scandal and perhaps certain material was reclaimed? Alternatively it might simply have been redundant. 

1 hour ago, Penlan said:

I'm still recovering from the '6 Nations' on Saturday....

the Saltire.gif

Aren't we all!!:o

Jim

(Note that while I truncated the post I did not delete the flag!  :D)  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great.

The Fellowship of the Ring

674524202_BilboBercow.jpg.744dbe2cd44651989cfaa039ba2645ae.jpg

• Like 8
  • Funny 4