• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

The past is another country ...  where there are actually workers seen working on road works.

And the thinking classes* engaging with the reality of the daily life of those workers - or at least, lounging around indulging in the idle pleasure of observing others at work.

*Not that I care for Carlyle or Maurice, much.

Edited by Compound2632

6 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Man on horse "Blasted unscheduled roadworks again!!"

His wife "Now dear, I'm sure these things must be done"

Man on horse "Now you're being reasonable again, harumpphh!!!"

His wife "We should have taken the train"

Edited by Bill_J
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

“It always does seem to me that I am doing more work than I should do. It is not that I object to the work, mind you; I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. I love to keep it by me: the idea of getting rid of it nearly breaks my heart.

You cannot give me too much work; to accumulate work has almost become a passion with me: my study is so full of it now, that there is hardly an inch of room for any more. I shall have to throw out a wing soon.

And I am careful of my work, too. Why, some of the work that I have by me now has been in my possession for years and years, and there isn’t a finger-mark on it. I take a great pride in my work; I take it down now and then and dust it. No man keeps his work in a better state of preservation than I do.

But, though I crave for work, I still like to be fair. I do not ask for more than my proper share.”

-Jerome K Jerome

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

To my way of thinking, that painting is about as calming to the soul as putting one’s head in a washing machine in mid-cycle ....... way too much going on!

Can I offer instead this Japanese one?

“The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm.” Confucius

55F9FE9D-CD82-4AEE-A15E-1F596D0BA2FA.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

To my way of thinking, that painting is about as calming to the soul as putting one’s head in a washing machine in mid-cycle ....... way too much going on!

Can I offer instead this Japanese one?

“The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm.” Confucius

55F9FE9D-CD82-4AEE-A15E-1F596D0BA2FA.jpeg

I assume Confucius never built a roof, the Grenn Grass  (reeds) which may bend in the wind can do a good job of keeping the rain out with a bit of help from the timber cut from that fallen Oak. Without the timber it would not be much use.

I do rather agree that picture is way too busy for a home environment. In the National Gallery when one can walk away from it to enjoy the next painting once you have had your fill.

On our lounge wall I have a painting (only a print) of Bradley Manor leaving the Mawddach Bridge heading into Barmouth with Cader Idris in the background. Sometbing I never tire of looking at.

INcidently I never knew Monet was a painter of railways 

image.png.cf0d184609704232f9f5460907bec853.png

Never saw any of these in the National Gallery just Waterlilies.

Don 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to read that life is still being a sh!t towards you James.  As always much hope from me that things will improve and smooth out for you as time goes on.

Oh and that YouTube banjo video you posted, - that just about had tears rolling down my cheeks and my sides aching from laughing.  Since I've just crawled out of a none too good week myself that was exactly what I needed.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

25 minutes ago, Annie said:

Sorry to read that life is still being a sh!t towards you James.  As always much hope from me that things will improve and smooth out for you as time goes on.

Oh and that YouTube banjo video you posted, - that just about had tears rolling down my cheeks and my sides aching from laughing.  Since I've just crawled out of a none too good week myself that was exactly what I needed.

Oh bless you and thank you for that, Annie, I hope this week turns out better for you and I'm glad the song struck a chord, as it were.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Crossing eyes and dotting tees:

Some little while ago I mentioned that Beethoven was Belgian, provoking one of our habitual excursions. I could not at the time recall the source of this observation but have now tracked it down to E.M.* Forster's Epilogue to A Room With a View, written in 1958, a half-century after the novel. He reviews the later career of his characters: George of course was a conscientious objector in the Great War; Lucy followed his example, continuing to play Beethoven - "Hun music!" - resulting in a visit from the police. Cecil Vyse was in "Information". Forster blends fact and fiction in a pleasingly Achingesque manner: "I had an example of his propaganda, and a very welcome one, at Alexandria. A quiet little party was held on the outskirts of that city, and someone wanted a little Beethoven. The hostess demurred. Hun music might compromise us. But a young officer spoke up. 'No, it's all right,' he said, 'a chap who knows about these things from the inside told me Beethoven's definitely Belgian.'"

*A finescale novelist.

But while we're back on anthems, national or pan-national, here! (Crank the volume up and sing along!)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Berlioz does ham it up marvellously.  The first incorporation of La Marseillaise in an artistic work of which I am aware is in Grétry's Denys le tyran (of 1794), somewhat incongruous, given the opera's classical setting.

My favourite, however, is this ... 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As readers of Norman Davies’ tome will be aware, the “Marseillaise” should really be the “Strasbourgeoise” which is where it was composed in 1792. During 1795, it was being sung in Paris by a group of soldiers from Marseille, so was given the wrong eponym. 

Cracking song, though.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Seems there is a lot of gloom around as July takes hold and the myriad pre-grouping greens of spring shade into dismal overall BR Brunswick.

My own malaise had me hiding away through Sunday where I found unexpected enjoyment in watching the first televised cricket on plain vanilla TV I've seen since my fanatical Kent supporting parents died nearly 20 years ago.

No one has posted about the Lords World Cup match though I got absolutely hooked.

An almost pre-grouping sporting event it seemed to me to be with the Edwardian faience tiled pavilion over the cut and cover (?) London Extension tunnels down to Marylebone filled with a whole lot of bewhiskered military and colonial old buffers in their brightly coloured caps and blazers.

I even spent the day rooting for the underdogs - which always riled my dad

All in all a pleasant escape from our own health issues and the UKs depressing political present

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Brahms's Ein deutsches Requiem on R3; I'm in the zone!

Goose bumps!

One of the works (in English though) in the first choral concert I sang in at school, as an 11-year-old treble. The other was the Polovtsian Dances:

"Borne on wings of gentle breezes, fly swiftly home ye songs of grief and exile..."

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, runs as required said:

Seems there is a lot of gloom around as July takes hold and the myriad pre-grouping greens of spring shade into dismal overall BR Brunswick.

My own malaise had me hiding away through Sunday where I found unexpected enjoyment in watching the first televised cricket on plain vanilla TV I've seen since my fanatical Kent supporting parents died nearly 20 years ago.

No one has posted about the Lords World Cup match though I got absolutely hooked.

An almost pre-grouping sporting event it seemed to me to be with the Edwardian faience tiled pavilion over the cut and cover (?) London Extension tunnels down to Marylebone filled with a whole lot of bewhiskered military and colonial old buffers in their brightly coloured caps and blazers.

I even spent the day rooting for the underdogs - which always riled my dad

All in all a pleasant escape from our own health issues and the UKs depressing political present

As someone who, in his youth, was regularly bored to death by interminable games of cricket which seemed to go on for days and often ending in a draw, I was bemused to see that now they play the game in their pyjamas and wrap it all up before bed-time.

Edited by wagonman
style, boy, style
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

As a Yorkshireman, who views cricket as a birthright, perhaps its time to redress the balance, or Ballance for those that know the county's current line up!!

I have always found the game's subtleties, complexities and unexpected turns fascinating

The most recent of which was being asked to come out of the scorebox and field, for 30 overs as twelfth man, at the age of 62, last Saturday in the Norfolk Alliance Premier league.

It is a good job that we are not all the same isn't it? The world would otherwise  be a boring place.

Ian T

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

I quite like cricket, in the same way that I quite like fishing, the two having similarities I think, but unless I’m granted a second life, there seems little likelihood that there will ever be the time to properly savour either, let alone both.

Anyway, I do hope that The Chairman and Members are beginning to feel better.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, ianathompson said:

The most recent of which was being asked to come out of the scorebox and field, for 30 overs as twelfth man, at the age of 62, last Saturday in the Norfolk Alliance Premier league.

Only in an English village game would having the correct number of players on the pitch be seen as more important than knowing who wins by keeping score :jester:

Good on you though sir for taking up the gauntlet. I hope you enjoyed your run out on the grass!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Anotheran said:

Only in an English village game would having the correct number of players on the pitch be seen as more important than knowing who wins by keeping score

Erm!! This is County Premier and quite serious! Downham set 276-9 to win.

Downham had a Kiwi "pro" and the oppo "pro" once scored 220+ for Norfolk in the Minor Counties.

Fortunately I played with him as a kid so we had a pint and a laugh afterwards.

Not much railway modelling that weekend though as I watched the international cricket after singing at the Lynn Festival service.

I know this is off topic so I will now keep quiet!

Ian T

• Like 5