Living at the seaside, I prefer not to venture anywhere near the beach at times like these, its absolutely heaving with yobbos, screaming kids and members of both genders pouring out of extremly unsuitable skimpy clothing. Its also so humid that I feel like a fish. If you get my drift....

One wonders how pre-grouping gentry survived in their thick, restrictive dark clothing during the summer!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Locked in the house.  My wife phoned in yesterday and said she would be working at home so I was not allowed to go out at the hottest part of the day to post my son's birthday card.  We have a room in the house which has had the doors shut all day and is considerably colder than anywhere else.  Are we using it?  Of course not.

The temperature sensor on my shed in the garden which is away from the sun is only measuring 40.7degrees, down from 41.4.  I am sure it is reading the inside temperature through the wooden walls.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Genuine shade air temperature maxed at 37, now dropped back to 36.5.

I’ve just checked, and the man-cave layout/utility room is actually not too bad, despite one wall having direct sun all day, which shows the virtues of thick insulation and keeping vent to a trickle. The thermometer claims 18, but it’s definitely warmer than that, probably c25.

Patio area is like a furnace, because it is In direct sun c0800-1500, so it is meaningless to cite a temperature.

The ideal house would probably be rather like Hobbit-hole, or at least have yard-thick stone walls and tiny windows, set deeply, to give good smoothing of year-round temperature variations.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It is not a good day to be layin g paving the only thing acting fast is the mortar drying and my sun hat is now soaking wet but not from rain

Don

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Genuine shade air temperature maxed at 37, now dropped back to 36.5.

I’ve just checked, and the man-cave layout/utility room is actually not too bad, despite one wall having direct sun all day, which shows the virtues of thick insulation and keeping vent to a trickle. The thermometer claims 18, but it’s definitely warmer than that, probably c25.

Patio area is like a furnace, because it is In direct sun c0800-1500, so it is meaningless to cite a temperature.

The ideal house would probably be rather like Hobbit-hole, or at least have yard-thick stone walls and tiny windows, set deeply, to give good smoothing of year-round temperature variations.

*smug mode* I'm currently in a cob cottage with yard-thick walls and smallish windows, and yes, it's quite comfortable thanks very much. This weather is the only good reason for owning a cob house.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

31 degrees here, and just sitting having a choc ice with all doors and windows open, but then:

a, wife wanted help to put the stew in the oven, 

b, said she wanted another coat of paint applied to the ceiling above oven before tea

(some time ago the drain out of the bath right above this corner sprang a leak and left a nasty damp patch)

c, and I was daft enough to do it.

wish I was with you, Jim.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Northroader said:

31 degrees here, and just sitting having a choc ice with all doors and windows open, but then:

a, wife wanted help to put the stew in the oven, 

b, said she wanted another coat of paint applied to the ceiling above oven before tea

(some time ago the drain out of the bath right above this corner sprang a leak and left a nasty damp patch)

c, and I was daft enough to do it.

Stew?  My wife got a bit upset once when I suggested that having salad in the middle of winter and stew in the middle of summer was the wrong way round.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

No, this is a Delia Smith special, Spanish Pork stew with chorizo, etc, etc, and I egged her on to tip the rest of the white wine into it, which you can’t do with Irish Stew, so it is sort of summer seasonal.

Nick, that old postcard looks like Deal?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Northroader said:

No, this is a Delia Smith special, Spanish Pork stew with chorizo, etc, etc, and I egged her on to tip the rest of the white wine into it, which you can’t do with Irish Stew, so it is sort of summer seasonal.

Nick, that old postcard looks like Deal?

Indeed it is Deal which although over run by DFL at weekends is fairly sane during the week

Nick 

• Informative/Useful 1

Hope no melting or buckling parishioners. On B-day +1 I have experienced a wave of hot air, drifting north from London.

It could have been worse, I escaped a trip to the Smoke.  Usually it's snow up here that stops me, but today it was sun down there that caused the meeting to be conducted via the 'phone.

Instead I've enjoyed a balmy 29 degrees relieved by light breezes.

I am going to have a break; Saturday at RailEx NE in Newcastle and then a few days visiting the Aged Ps.

It has been very busy; I could do with a few days off.  

Saturday will see the repetition of Runs-and-Required and Edwardian's Men-Behaving-Badly Combo. You have been warned!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Also a good day for washing the kitchen floor, between identifying old Midland carriages in photographs. 

Umm, that is what I thought, but it has taken ages to dry because it is so humid.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

18 degrees, grey skies and rain here.  Exactly the weather I like.  If it goes on a bit too long though the surrounding fields get flooded and the roads are closed, but with my 'never travel beyond your own village' mentality that doesn't bother me much.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A somewhat toasty 30 here on the south eastern corner of Derby - too hot for much other than sitting in front of the fan. 

Not much modelling completed recently (though I did build, paint and letter a wagon for a colleagues retirement present for tomorrow) as have mostly been packing boxes in readiness for the impending house move end of next week (hooray). Hopefully it will have cooled off by then a little! 

Off to the pub shortly for our monthly model railway group meeting :D 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Is everyone OK, or have some Members of the PC melted?

I am alive! Was clearing out my Nan's house as she and my Alzheimer's-afflicted Grandad were moved into a nursing home this morning. Now eating a burger in the coolest room in my now mostly empty house. 

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

...One wonders how pre-grouping gentry survived in their thick, restrictive dark clothing during the summer!

Because we hadn't annihilated the climate as badly yet. 

2 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

*smug mode* I'm currently in a cob cottage with yard-thick walls and smallish windows, and yes, it's quite comfortable thanks very much. This weather is the only good reason for owning a cob house.

I can think of a few good reasons tbf

• Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

One wonders how pre-grouping gentry survived in their thick, restrictive dark clothing during the summer!

You're thinking about it wrong, this isn't merely English Summer weather is it?

I've been getting along just fine in my cream linen suit and pith helmet.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

It's pretty hot here too.despite being at c940m Maurach was around 34° today. We were up at the top station of the Rofanseilbahn which, at 1840m, was a bit more pleasant. Some weather sites were forecasting thunder this evening, but it hasn't happened (yet).

Jim 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Living at the seaside, I prefer not to venture anywhere near the beach at times like these, its absolutely heaving with yobbos, screaming kids and members of both genders pouring out of extremly unsuitable skimpy clothing. Its also so humid that I feel like a fish. If you get my drift....

1. Late 19th century Ilfracombe - from a collection of published prints I inherited from my Grandfather. 2. By the 1920s they had worked out a cooler clothing regime.

Ilfracombe_from_Capstone_1_detail_600dpi_tidied.jpg

Phil's Grandpa Sadler & his wife & inlaws  Llandudno June 1920.jpg

• Like 11