43 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You can tell the heat is addling peoples brains, there's an autographed photo of my aunt on ebay, going for 50 quid.

Sheer, utter madness!!!

Wait, wait, back up. WT*? You can't just skip past that without an explanation!

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Agree 2

40 and above is pretty extreme heat even here in Sydney and the news shows send reporters out to do inane "Shock Horror its hot in summer - heres some film of girls at Bondi" etc stories so I feel for you lot going through the same, but without  air-conditioned houses.

If its any consolation check this place out. I would pass it when driving between Darwin and the RAAF base at Katherine in the NT in high 30's heat but with added high NT style humidity. IT caught my eye A) because I thought if I didn't own a atraight-edge I'd still be able to make a model of it and b) not only is it a corrugated iron building built in the middle of the NT with tiny little windows covererd in metal shutters, but to top it off it was a bakery. How hot would that place be!? 

pck.jpeg.15164a4f4857b31ace6e5725a808ec65.jpeg

In WW2 the US airforce who had squadrons on bush airstrips around the place requisitioned it to use as their bakery. Imagine being those US soldiers sent to work there, they must have wished to be anywhere else in the war - D-Day or whatever.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Not doing any modelling as I'm in Austria. Local railway. Pity they didn't tighten down the rear fixing screw or hide the big gear in the centre ! DSC_1153.JPG.306cd82602a0cfd52eac2b8082d92e7e.JPG

They can't spell Theodore either...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The ideal house would probably be rather like Hobbit-hole, or at least have yard-thick stone walls and tiny windows, set deeply, to give good smoothing of year-round temperature variations.

And a thick thatched roof.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Wait, wait, back up. WT*? You can't just skip past that without an explanation!

58 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

"You can't just skip past that without an explanation!"

The question that occurs to me is: How do you know?

She worked on various Gerry Anderson projects, including Stingray and Thunderbirds and became a minor celeb on the fan circuit.  A very glamorous lady at the time...  Its just a rather nice head and shoulders studio portrait in monochrome, a pity she didn't give us any!

As for how I knew,  a friend sent me a link to the listing.  They are into family tree tracing and my aunts name came up in another context.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

She worked on various Gerry Anderson projects, including Stingray and Thunderbirds and became a minor celeb on the fan circuit.  A very glamorous lady at the time...  Its just a rather nice head and shoulders studio portrait in monochrome, a pity she didn't give us any!

As for how I knew,  a friend sent me a link to the listing.  They are into family tree tracing and my aunts name came up in another context.

You are Lady Penelope's nephew and I claim my five pounds.

• Funny 8

26 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

You are Lady Penelope's nephew and I claim my five pounds.

I'll have Parker bring it round, though it may take some time as he's not allowed to use the Rolls nowadays and he'll have to rely on his bus pass...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

Working all day then Holt Festival in the evenings. Last night it was Nicholas Daniels and the Britten Oboe Quartet. "Public" schools may be awash with money – at least compared to public schools – but it doesn't extend to air conditioned theatres, at least not at Gresham's. The audience sweltered while the musicians gamely played on. Damp towels all round.

Drove home with the sky lit up by lightening every few seconds!

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Working all day then Holt Festival in the evenings. Last night it was Nicholas Daniels and the Britten Oboe Quartet. "Public" schools may be awash with money – at least compared to public schools – but it doesn't extend to air conditioned theatres, at least not at Gresham's. The audience sweltered while the musicians gamely played on. Damp towels all round.

Drove home with the sky lit up by lightening every few seconds!

ask dyson for some more money...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

ask dyson for some more money...

He has already coughed up £19million apparently. Presumably he wants a Dyson building to match the Auden Theatre, Nicholson Gallery and Britten Music department buildings already there. Perhaps the Dyson Cleaning Block?

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, wagonman said:

He has already coughed up £19million apparently. Presumably he wants a Dyson building 

Which will be great until it moves to Singapore. 

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Never trust a model bus enthusiast....

The lies on the 'bus go round and round .....

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Well, it was warm here in mid Wales but the house was pretty cool. An advantage of an 1830s terrace house of three stories. though even the modern extension which happens to contain the railway room was OK. But humidity high. The same temperatures in Durres, Albania last month were more comfortable.

That said, by the afternoon the emulsion paint was drying too fast for me to carry on painting a wall in an inside room.

The clubroom - an ex pigsty - was a bit warm but it didn't stop us laying track, very slowly.

But please let's keep off current politics, too many other threads are full of it. Edwardian politics OK though.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

But please let's keep off current politics, too many other threads are full of it. Edwardian politics OK though.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, 

I think everyone here is sensible enough to steer clear of full-on polemics or debates (though there have been one or two close shaves).  I don't think the odd throw -away remark warrants censure. If it's not in line with someone else's thinking, a response isn't mandatory. 

Alan 

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The lies on the 'bus go round and round .....

They were actually on the SIDE of the bus.

Its all so self-explanatory now.....

I'm feeling like an unholy alliance between Eeyor and Marvin The Paranoid Android.  It does NOT feel GOOD.

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

But please let's keep off current politics, too many other threads are full of it.

It just came out, I'm sorry......

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Very handsome engines, those big tank engines - G and H - if a little after our period. The Ks are a bit ugly, though I can see why they would appeal to a Southern enthusiast...

0-6-4Ts are an interestingly Edwardian breed - mostly coming before moguls caught on, so not yet appreciating the advantages of a leading Bissell truck. Apart from the Midland 2000 Class "Flatirons" - which are even more of a disappointment once one's realised what alternatives were being sketched out in the Derby LDO - they're mostly for heavy freight - the Barry Railway had some, and the LD&EC examples are particularly impressive-looking. The Great Northern had some too, designed by Clifford.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Very handsome engines, those big tank engines - G and H - if a little after our period. The Ks are a bit ugly, though I can see why they would appeal to a Southern enthusiast...

Most definitely! All things Met and Beautiful... ;) 

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

0-6-4Ts are an interestingly Edwardian breed - mostly coming before moguls caught on, so not yet appreciating the advantages of a leading Bissell truck. Apart from the Midland 2000 Class "Flatirons" - which are even more of a disappointment once one's realised what alternatives were being sketched out in the Derby LDO - they're mostly for heavy freight - the Barry Railway had some, and the LD&EC examples are particularly impressive-looking. The Great Northern had some too, designed by Clifford.

The Met was something of a glutton for unusual wheel arrangements.

• Like 4