• RMweb Premium

Not only coloured marks on the sheep around here but also numbers, the same number on mother and offspring - usually two of the latter. But derinitely post grouping.

I could take exception to an earlier remark, but I won't. On my Sarn layout, set near Kerry in the 1930s, there are two breeds of sheep - Kerry hill and Improved Welsh Mountain. The former have black markings in the appropriate places and the latter are generally white but smaller - HO actually. Texels etc are definitely post nationalisation!

RE the earlier comment on Monet and railways, may I offer:

Jonathan

monet64.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at Monet's paintings of the Gare St Lazare is very like my attempts at reading, in French, Zola's description of the preparation of the Caen express in the opening pages of La Bête humaine: the impression is powerful, even if the detail is elusive.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Looking at Monet's paintings of the Gare St Lazare is very like my attempts at reading, in French, Zola's description of the preparation of the Caen express in the opening pages of La Bête humaine: the impression is powerful, even if the detail is elusive.

well if its SNCF they are probably on strike

Nick

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Tale goes that Monet turned up at St. Lazare and started painting and the trains were all arranged to his liking, whether true or false I couldn’t say. Harking back to earlier welsh sheep comments, for a while I worked amidst the sanddunes on the south coast, and one of the local staff had the sobriquet of “Morgan, the Margam Mountain mutton mounter”

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

If Mr Edwardian and the other erudite members of the Castle Aching community will forgive me, please may I bring the following to your attention:-

From next Friday, 60103 will be at Locomotion for a few weeks.

I'm presenting an illustrated  tour/talk on the said locomotive and how it got to be so famous.

The link is https://www.locomotion.org.uk/whats-on/flying-scotsman-why-so-famous

I operate as a volunteer tour guide at Locomotion (usually on Fridays), which is quite fun even if it does take me away from my own railway.

If you can come do please book a ticket and make yourself known!

(The tickets are free, but there is a limit of 12 for each tour/talk so if you would like to come please do book.)

Of course, I'm sure that many of you will know more on this subject than I do, but even  If you don't wan't to come to the tour/talk but are coming to Shildon anyway, do please make yourself known!

I am hopeful that it will be interesting at several different levels!

My normal thread on RMweb is  ... here... - plus other posts I may make from time to time!

Caroline

'drmditch'

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The locomotive known as Flying Scotsman has reasonable pre-Grouping credentials: to traffic in late February 1923, much of its construction must have taken place before 1 January that year; certainly all drawing office work must have been earlier. Were there any detail differences between this engine and the first pair of pacifics? It was turned out with its GNR number 1472 but I presume it carried the new L&NER livery - essentially NER livery.

Who's for a new-build 1470?

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

If Mr Edwardian and the other erudite members of the Castle Aching community will forgive me, please may I bring the following to your attention:-

From next Friday, 60103 will be at Locomotion for a few weeks.

I'm presenting an illustrated  tour/talk on the said locomotive and how it got to be so famous.

The link is https://www.locomotion.org.uk/whats-on/flying-scotsman-why-so-famous

I operate as a volunteer tour guide at Locomotion (usually on Fridays), which is quite fun even if it does take me away from my own railway.

If you can come do please book a ticket and make yourself known!

(The tickets are free, but there is a limit of 12 for each tour/talk so if you would like to come please do book.)

Of course, I'm sure that many of you will know more on this subject than I do, but even  If you don't wan't to come to the tour/talk but are coming to Shildon anyway, do please make yourself known!

I am hopeful that it will be interesting at several different levels!

My normal thread on RMweb is  ... here... - plus other posts I may make from time to time!

Caroline

'drmditch'

I'd certainly like to come, thanks for letting us know.

When is your talk?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The locomotive known as Flying Scotsman has reasonable pre-Grouping credentials: to traffic in late February 1923, much of its construction must have taken place before 1 January that year; certainly all drawing office work must have been earlier. Were there any detail differences between this engine and the first pair of pacifics? It was turned out with its GNR number 1472 but I presume it carried the new L&NER livery - essentially NER livery.

Who's for a new-build 1470?

It was actually out-shopped on the 24th February 2923, which I think was the day after Gresley was confirmed as the CME of the LNER. 

It the first of the batch of 10 authorised by the GN board before the grouping actually happened.

Obviously unlike the NB the GN board was prepared to commit to expenditure!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Being comprised mainly of Edinburgh lawyers and accountants the NB board were probably rarely prepared to commit to expenditure in a hurry! 

(Caley) Jim 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Being comprised mainly of Edinburgh lawyers and accountants the NB board were probably rarely prepared to commit to expenditure in a hurry! 

(Caley) Jim 

As far as I can work out, all locomotives ordered by the Caledonian were delivered before grouping, the last being the eight engines of the 191 Class, in December 1922. Yes, rather closer to the wire than the last pair of NB atlantics, but not over it! Over at Kilmarnock, Whitelegg had taken delivery of his six big pugs from The Combine in the spring of 1922. 

Plenty of careful Scottish proprietors around!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, drmditch said:

It was actually out-shopped on the 24th February 2923, which I think was the day after Gresley was confirmed as the CME of the LNER. 

It the first of the batch of 10 authorised by the GN board before the grouping actually happened.

That'll be because my great grandfather was a director of the GNR..   At some stage,  according to my mother b. Guildford 1921.  Watson-Munro was his name, Charles (I think).  He argued with my grandfather after the Boer War  and they 'settled' and my grandfather became what some called a 'remittance man'   although he was in fact a graduate electrical engineer who designed NZ's first large electric power station.  

I rather like the idea of being a great grandson of a GNR director even if it isn't true....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

As far as I can work out, all locomotives ordered by the Caledonian were delivered before grouping, the last being the eight engines of the 191 Class, in December 1922. Yes, rather closer to the wire than the last pair of NB atlantics, but not over it! Over at Kilmarnock, Whitelegg had taken delivery of his six big pugs from The Combine in the spring of 1922. 

Plenty of careful Scottish proprietors around!

It wasn't that close for the Caley which didn't become part of the LMS until July 1923. 

It is a puzzle how Whitelegg got agreement for the Baltics at over £16,000 each, 50% more than the estimate.  The G&SWR were generally canny and were also not a line which favoured tank engines.  Whitelegg was obviously better a pitching a case than he was at designing a loco,  Also at this time the MoT was still holding the purse-strings which would have been perfect cover for the stingy NBR Board.

Alan

Edited by Buhar
Trying to remember to add my name
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Buhar said:

It wasn't that close for the Caley which didn't become part of the LMS until July 1923. 

That was because, the directors being Glasgow industrialists and merchants, they were driving a hard bargain over the share price! 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

That was because, the directors being Glasgow industrialists and merchants, they were driving a hard bargain over the share price! 

Jim 

Supported in their efforts by that bastion of unbridled capitalism, the Killin Railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Argos said:

Delusions of grandeur is the phrase that springs to mind for the Killin Railway! 

Well, the scenery around there is pretty grand! 

Jim 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Is everyone OK, or have some Members of the PC melted?

Loitering on RMWeb I'm afraid because (a) I'm still in the end-of-term recovery phase and (b) the PC is in one of the cooler rooms in the house. Waiting for the call to rescue Mrs Compound from being marooned in Oxford by buckled rails. No. 1 Son is in Durham, having taken possession of his second-year digs, en route for a bridgefest in Scarborough. No. 2 Son is in Disneyland Paris - we are assured that his party are booked into an air-conditioned cinema for the afternoon. It might even be raining by the time his Concert Band perform in the bandstand in the Champ de Mars on Saturday afternoon!

Ideal weather for washing and drying pillows.

I have also applied Halfords grey plastic primer to a batch of Midland 3-plank wagons. D305.

• Like 5

Much the same here.

Rest of the family have gone to the outdoor pool then to cinema (is everyone flocking to communal air-con?), while I got left with some chores, but have mostly been doing nothing except slowly dissolving.

The only ‘cool’ room in the house is the small loo on the ground floor, but you’ll be glad to hear that I’m not posting from the throne.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Also, just to show how that the oppressive heat is not completely addling my brains, I have completed the following actions:

• wrapped Mrs Compound's birthday presents
  • completed Electoral Register online
  • ordered new Rotring 0.2 mm nib to replace the one I accidentally sent flying - it landed quivering, steel nib embedded in the kitchen lino and bent at a 45 degree angle.

The benefits of the first two actions are self-evident. The third should lead, within a week or two, to the start of a new RMWeb topic: "Towards Pre-Grouping Carriages in 4 mm - the D508 appreciation thread".

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2