That last bit sounds like Whitby. I swear it's uphill whatever way you walk in that town.

Indeed.  However when I visited Whitby last year, I arrived by train, departed by train (courtesy of the NYMR with none of the problems that pop up when filmed for TV!) and ambled around the harbour so on the whole it was reasonably flat.  Avoided the abbey because it was uphill and yet another EH ruin.  Like Lindisfarne priory......

• Like 3

Absolutely. Tanfield is definitely on my bucket list of railways for that reason. Getting up there is the issue. Glad you enjoyed yourself Hroth!

Well worth the trip if you are able, you won't be disappointed. You can tie it in with a visit to Beamish as well as it is just a couple of miles away. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to have the Tanfield on the doorstep!

• Like 1

Another vote for Tanfield and Beamish - the two are worth the stay up there alone. Then, to the South, there's Shildon and North Road too, thus increasing the amount of railway interest. If you planned it right, you could start from home (in the South/East/Southeast) and work your way up there, stopping at York for a couple of days (NRM and KWVR can be done), then perhaps Darlington for another (North Road and Shildon) then on to Gateshead for another couple of days (Tanfield and Beamish each warrant a day to themselves). Maybe also divert to Whitby to cover the NYMR for a day.

1903524_e3b390e6.jpg

FinF17%202.JPG

gallery_5613_99_138653.jpg

Historic-locomotives-and-rolling-stock-a

Tanfield is wonderful... the yard is both sad and brilliant, as shown above. So many unrestored locos and bits of stock, yet fascinating.

117-2013-national-railway-museum-york-th

NRM York...

1054-1408164A-RL.jpg

KWVR...

26550411384_a34a4b8d1c_b.jpg

NYMR...

RM-May-p28.jpg

Beamish...

3-Locomotion-exhibits-by-Cliff-Thomas.jp

Shildon...

P3191238.jpg

North Road...

As can be seen, examples of lovely pre-grouping-ness can be found at each!

• Like 17

It's just reminding you to get on with making the required improvements!!

Gary

Quite so!

If you say you are going to do a thing, you must get on and do it!

Summer's fading fast .....

Edited by Edwardian

Even, very occasionally, modelling.

First time in months, what with one thing and another...

Hooray! All is right in the world!

Well, not all is right, the world is still run by insane morons, climate change is still a thing and I still suck at craftsman kits but you know what I mean.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Even, very occasionally, modelling. 

First time in months, what with one thing and another...

You weren't tempted by the D54 to D53 conversion, then? Though by 1905, I think conversion of D53 to D54 was going on apace, so more D54s than D53s might be allowable. But beware the brakes - neither pattern provided in the kit may be correct for a D54 at this date...

Why do I know so much about LNWR wagons? It's really rather worrying - it's the lure of the dark side again.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ah, drove back yesterday.  A mere 12 hours!  Mind you, an hour and a half of that was spent having the best breakfast in Devon. 

An hour and half for breakfast, - very civilised.  I approve.

• Like 1

Ah, drove back yesterday.  A mere 12 hours!  Mind you, an hour and a half of that was spent having the best breakfast in Devon. 

I hope that whilst in Devon you consumed your Cream Teas in a culturally approprate manner?

Its more likely to be an artefact of Queueing......

You weren't tempted by the D54 to D53 conversion, then? Though by 1905, I think conversion of D53 to D54 was going on apace, so more D54s than D53s might be allowable. But beware the brakes - neither pattern provided in the kit may be correct for a D54 at this date...

Why do I know so much about LNWR wagons? It's really rather worrying - it's the lure of the dark side again.

Probably wrong, but I left the coal wagon as the 5-plank, and attempted to replicate the curved brake handle.

The general merchandise 4-plank I decided to give the old single brake, and to use plasticard to fake grease axleboxes. 

post-25673-0-54660100-1534146740_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

I hope that whilst in Devon you consumed your Cream Teas in a culturally approprate manner?

Its more likely to be an artefact of Queueing......

I feel that a cream tea, as taken in either county, is not very breakfasty.

No, I referred to the Lifton Farm  Shop's "Hearty Farmer's Breakfast" (http://media.liftonfarmshop.co.uk/liftongallery/litmedia/LiftonFarmShopMenu.pdf).  No queuing was involved, but to have this little lot cooked and brought to the table, appreciatively consumed and followed by coffee was the work of a blissful one and a half hours.  

As, however, I was not a hoary-handed Son of the Soil, about to set off for a 12-hour shift behind a plough, but a fat middle-aged man in a sedentary occupation about to set off on a long car journey, I have doubtless very pleasantly eased my way several places up the queue of those awaiting cardiac arrest, but it is a breakfast I shall fondly remember for however long is left to me!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Probably wrong, but I left the coal wagon as the 5-plank, and attempted to replicate the curved brake handle.

The general merchandise 4-plank I decided to give the old single brake, and to use plasticard to fake grease axleboxes. 

Excellent. The curved brake lever is, I think, right for the D54 rebuilds; at least, that's what I did for my most recently built (and, I hope, best-informed) version. With the grease axleboxes and Scotch brake, the 4-planker should be a D4 (7 tons) rather than the later D9 (10 tons). 

Excellent. The curved brake lever is, I think, right for the D54 rebuilds; at least, that's what I did for my most recently built (and, I hope, best-informed) version. With the grease axleboxes and Scotch brake, the 4-planker should be a D4 (7 tons) rather than the later D9 (10 tons). 

Oh good, because that is what I was aiming for!

Thank you, Stephen.

Yes, the D4 was what I was intended for the 4-plank. 

On the 5-plank, I note that the door stop and plate is offset to the left of the v hangar on the example on the LNWR Soc. pages, but I have had the door stop placed centrally to align with the plate on the door, hoping that this might have been an actual variation!

Other than that, I was feeling pretty relaxed.  I note my kit did not include any buffers, so I shall have to order heads from MJT/Dart.  Does anyone know the correct size offhand?

Livery-wise, obviously these will be finished in pre-1908 diamond-only style, so that they can visit CA. I have a laser cut D32 to tackle whilst I'm about it, but more on that later.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

post-15969-0-69493900-1534155320.jpgWe'll be sinking under the amount of rubbish we spout here, we Might need a pump out.

post-15969-0-69493900-1534155320.jpg

I've got one of these....

A whale pump...

• RMweb Premium

On the 5-plank, I note that the door stop and plate is offset to the left of the v hangar on the example on the LNWR Soc. pages, but I have had the door stop placed centrally to align with the plate on the door, hoping that this might have been an actual variation!

All will be revealed, very soon now.

Other than that, I was feeling pretty relaxed.  I note my kit did not include any buffers, so I shall have to order heads from MJT/Dart.  Does anyone know the correct size offhand?

The kit ought to include a set of turned brass or steel buffers (material depending on vintage, I think) which are unusual in that they include the collar of the buffer housing. You want the 12" size from MJT - 13" is post-Grouping. To generate spare collars you could kit-bash some Cambrian or Slaters PO wagons into dumb-buffed PO wagons; alternatively, the Ratio buffers with integral collar become spare if you kit-bash the Ratio p/way set to make dumb-buffed D12/D13 timber wagons... I might have some! (Spare Ratio buffers, that is.)

I have a laser cut D32 to tackle whilst I'm about it, but more on that later.

Intriguing.

Edited by Compound2632