Hiya!!!!!!   waves vigourously

Back from my holiday into the Northern Parts!

Saw Rocket, had a ride on the Tanfiled Railway and walked across the Causey Arch amongst other things.  Pleased to report that the only rain that inconvenienced us was on Friday afternoon/evening!  Also visited Lindisfarne and played "beat the tide" on the causeway.....

Normal services will shortly be resumed.

ps got a stick of rock with LNER all the way through from another exhibit at the Discovery Museum!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

if not a box, then a cake, certainly.

This is a little known variant on the hypothetical cat that Schrödinger proposed, as a corollary to demonstrate absolute certainty about fact but not time.

What you do is, you put a nice cake* in a box, in an obvious place where I am known to pass by, and make it known generally that cake is available. You then give it a few minutes, just to appear respectful, and return to find that (some of) said cake has been consumed. If you are watching the box, I won’t appear, but at some point when watching has ceased, the cake will have (partially) disappeared, and there will be a crumb or two near or on me (depending on how quickly after consumption you find me). Thus, we know that cake has been consumed, and by whom, but not precisely when.

Dunkley’s cake: we know he ate it (there was cake available, he was in the vicinity, and then there was less or no cake), but nobody saw him do it.

I stopped going to soccer matches after everyone accused me of eating all the pies.

*Although some cakes are nicer than others, all cake is nice as long as it’s fresh. I think it important to re-state this.

• Like 2

After cooking Sunday roast lunch, my grandmother always, every week, put a fruit cake into the oven (big iron range thing) to cook using the residual heat. Said cake was then eaten at tea time.

One Sunday, cake is cooling on table and Uncle D decides to snaffle a slice on his way through, before tea. Uncle W sees slice gone, and decides to have a piece himself. Likewise, a few minutes later, Uncle M. By this time, cake is looking sadly depleted, and the three realise that their mother will be seriously hacked-off when she discovers their greed, so they conspire to eat the rest, wash and put away the plate, and deny existence of cake. This they do.

My grandmother ended-up convinced that, just this once, she'd forgotten to make and cook the weekly cake.

The truth only came out at Uncle D's wedding, about five years later, when his best man, who'd somehow been in on the whole thing, related the entire tale in his speech.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

No I haven't. I actually can't drive at all.

Fair enough. My driving instructor took me out that way back when I was learning to drive (he knew I liked railways so planned a route that took us out via Sedgeford station!). I was surprised by just how hilly northwest Norfolk is (well, by Norfolk standards!).

• RMweb Gold

Whether walking or cycling, the uphill bits always seem longer and steeper than the downhill bits.

Well since you go slower uphill than downhill on any walk or cycle ride you will spend more time going uphill.

Don

• RMweb Premium

When cycling, I always regard the uphill bits as a chance to exercise different muscles by walking. I have never been persuaded of the merit of struggling up steep hills in very low gears when one can walk with less effort at twice the speed. And one can always stop and enjoy the view, which for some inexplicable reason seems to be better from higher up!!!

Mind you the downhill bits are nice. From the top of the Kerry Ridge near Glanmule to Clun there is no need to pedal, about 14 miles I think. Though that is after at least an hour walking to the top of he ridge.

I have never cycled in West Norfolk but I can vouch for the fact that once you leave the very low bits around the Wash there are hills, not mountains, but definitely hills.

Jonathan

PS The Kerry Ridge introduced to bring the thread back on topic as there was a very interesting Kerry Tramway and various other timber railways in the area.

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 4

“I have never been persuaded of the merit of struggling up steep hills in very low gears when one can walk with less effort at twice the speed.”

Point of physics Mister Lundie: that cannot be true, unless the bicycle itself imposes massive losses. Cycling up is more effort (= power output) because it is quicker, not slower.

Anyway, Kerry Ridge, yes, reading the history of the timber tramways, then visiting the area, should be compulsory for all railwayacs.

That last bit sounds like Whitby. I swear it's uphill whatever way you walk in that town.

Best way to go to Whitby is by train.

Best way to Scarborough from Whitby is by bicycle (in the absence of a train) - although this does have ups and downs!

Best way to Monte Carlo is by sea.

Hiya!!!!!! waves vigourously

Back from my holiday into the Northern Parts!

Saw Rocket, had a ride on the Tanfiled Railway and walked across the Causey Arch amongst other things. Pleased to report that the only rain that inconvenienced us was on Friday afternoon/evening! Also visited Lindisfarne and played "beat the tide" on the causeway.....

Normal services will shortly be resumed.

ps got a stick of rock with LNER all the way through from another exhibit at the Discovery Museum!

Hope you enjoyed your trip to the frozen north! The Tanfield Railway is great isn't it!? Perfect for an afternoon out and the atmosphere is spot on. Something of a mecca for small industrial locos.

The Tanfield Railway is great isn't it!? Perfect for an afternoon out and the atmosphere is spot on. Something of a mecca for small industrial locos.

Absolutely. Tanfield is definitely on my bucket list of railways for that reason. Getting up there is the issue. Glad you enjoyed yourself Hroth!

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2