RTR 0-6-0 Chassis selection

Can anyone suggest a readily available RTR chassis for my next bashing project? I’m planning on making a model GWR 784 (ex Barry Railway E class) based on a photo my father had taken of this engine in August 1948 in Barry. The loco is a 0-6-0T by Hudswell, Clarke with a 6’+6’ wheelbase and 3’3½” driving wheels.

There are a few chassis kits available with the correct wheelbase but I would prefer a RTR version if something suitable could be found. This is meant to be a ‘cheap & cheerful’ project to fill in time when I am a bit fed up with other model construction.  

Dave

post-24168-0-49003600-1454930837_thumb.jpg

Edit for location of pic. I was speaking to dear old dad who advised that it was taken in Barry depot during the summer school holidays in 1948.

Edited by Devo63

A hard one this as its the unusually small wheels for its size that will be a problem I did think of a terrier chassis but the wheels are far to big at 4ft and I don't know it they can be re wheeled easily. The even 6' - 6' wheel base doesn't help as most "off the peg" chassis like the Hornby one which can be re wheeled with Markits (Romford) wheels have the usual uneven axle spacing so not sure what to suggest

• RMweb Premium

The J72 is  4' 1.25"  at  6' 8" + 7'

There's also an HO Electrotren 0-6-0 with wheels that equate to 3' 6" in 00.  I don't know what the wheelbase is.

Having measured mine, the wheelbase is approx 20mm + 24mm, which would give you 5'0" + 6'0" equivalent in OO.

HTH

Moxy

The Hornby/Dapol Terrier chassis, if made to scale, should come out the same, 6' + 6', so would be a good starter, but I haven't measured mine to check.  The wheel diameter should be 4' or 3' 11" if you're being pedantic, so a little large for your needs.  It would seem the axle diameter is 2.5mm, as Alan Gibson do a special re-wheeling set, but, unfortunately they don't list any smaller wheels with the same non-standard diameter axle, apart from the disc wheels for the L&YR Pug, although they might be able to supply something close if you ask nicely.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I thought that there may not be anything suitable but I had to ask to make sure. I may have to look at a brass chassis, either a Terrier or SEFinecast P type, and some Gibson wheels if there are any about the right size. I assume that the tyres would have been fairly worn by this stage of its life so I do have a bit of leeway.

GWR 784 was a favourite that my father, as a teenager, would keep an eye out for due to the small size and he was disappointed the year after the photo was taken when he found out it had been sent for scrapping. The loco was 59 years old when withdrawn so it had a reasonably good innings. This was one of the few photos he still has from his weekend and holiday visits to various depots in and around South Wales (Cardiff born & raised) before he came to Australia in the early 1950's. He left most of his photos, models and personal treasures behind when he emigrated and these were given away to various family and friends when his parents came out later. I hope to make a model of it for him (he's now 80) to run on his new 13'x6' layout which he has under construction.

Dave  

Edited by Devo63
  • Like 1

There's also an HO Electrotren 0-6-0 with wheels that equate to 3' 6" in 00.  I don't know what the wheelbase is.

Approx 20mm + 24mm, so 5' + 6'. Drive is on the front axle. The chassis ends about half way along the cylinders, and some way behind the rear drivers I think, as mine seems to have been shortened at the rear, then extension pieces added. I didn't make it, and haven't had the body off yet!

post-7091-0-53572900-1454952822.jpg

• Like 2

I had a look at the selection of wheels from the Alan Gibson range. There is a listing for the correct size in the catalogue. A small compromise is that the wheels are described as 10 spoke when the E class had 12. This should not be a problem for such an obscure prototype and would be a lesser compromise than using a RTR chassis.

Dave 

Sometimes one has to admit defeat, as those that know me will tell you I'm one of the biggest bodgers of RTR chassis for my builds but I'm still searching for a suitable chassis either already as or easy to convert to an 0-4-4 for a Caledonian 171 class build and I've had to except the realization that I'll most likely have to build one in the end as the compromises are just to great with all I've looked at so far.

Markits di several 13 mm wheels, 7 spoke & 10 spoke  both Barclay also 12.5 mm 10 spoke Barclay. They do most conversion axles for several sizes. A bit pricey but dead easy to fit and quarter 

If you ever decide to fit a scale chassis just alter the axles

Edited by hayfield

Out of curiosity. What is the latest J72 like with the body off?

Very like the old Mainline in the most important respect: split chassis; and the mechanism completely fills the body including the cab up to the  side openings. The top half of the cab is empty though, the major improvement in appearance over the Mainline version. The quiet and reliable mechanism is the other gain, Bachmann use an open frame three pole motor with worm drive. Decent longevity as it is light, doesn't wear away the plating too quickly.

The way the mechanism fills the void inside the body limits use for motorising anything smaller. Lots of sawing off of metal to cut it down with no guarantee of a robust result as the years go on. It is a fair option for the related GER J67-69 classes with their taller side tanks but otherwise similar proportions, thanks to the Worsdell Brothers design family connection between the GER and NER.

G'day, all,

Another RTR model with 6'0"+6'0" wheelbase id the Bachmann Junior 0-6-0ST. Unfortunately, the wheels scale out at 4'7.5". Be aware also that at least two gear sets exist for the model that are incompatible with each other, so replacement of the supplied wheelsets with other wheels should be done with some care. I have found that, in one set, the axle-mounted gear is off-white, 10.02 mm dia, with 19 teeth. The other gear set's corresponding gear is 10.08mm dia, black and has 20 teeth.

In good order, the model runs silently and sweetly, so may provide a suitable RTR chassis for some projects.

Regards,

Rob

RosiesBoss - I have just found some of your projects - excellent stuff - when you have a moment, would you mind letting me know what the wheel diameters and centres are on the Hornby 'Toby' chassis?

I, too, would suggest the Bachmann Junior 0-6-0 chassis.  Bachmann's Junior/Thomeas units are modern and, as you say, run sweetly.

Relaxinghobby, of this parish, tumbled upon the great idea of replacing the wheel sets with those of the Bachmann HO North American outline 0-6-0ST, which are, or were, available separately.   I have had a quick hunt for the thread, but have failed to find it. 

G'day, Edwardian,

Thank you for your comments.

The Hornby Toby chassis has 5'6"+5'6" wheel centres and 4'3" dia wheels.

The chassis do run sweetly, but both of the chassis I bought as new spares showed metal fatigue and had to be repaired as I detailed in account of the construction of the W&C 0-6-0ST.

Regards,

Rob

Is it listed here?  http://www.brmna.org/xref/locogwr.htm

The only E Class here is given as a 0-8-0 though

There were five of the E class 0-6-0T supplied to the Barry Railway by Hudswell, Clarke between 1889 & 1891. BR numbers were 33, 34, 50, 51 & 53 which became GWR 781 - 785. GWR 783 & 784 survived to become part of British Railways with the other three sold by the GWR in the 1930's. 783 was 'Swindonised' with a new boiler and extended bunker while 784 just had minor changes made by the GWR. * 

I don't have access at the moment to my copy of Russell's Absorbed Locomotives at the moment but from memory the four 0-8-0 were actually the Barry Railway D class built by Sharp,Stewart.

* these details info are from one of my old file cards I wrote up about 35 years ago

Dave 

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Justang said:

The BR 08s had 5'9" + 5'9". Could a Lima 09 be rewheeled with 3' wheels?

No the drive gear is too big to fit a 12mm wheel.  Its 3 years since the guy posted so I guess he's either built it or forgotten all about it.

I would consider re axle-ing  a Triang Jinty TT chassis or similar to 00 gauge as the wheelbase should be pretty much right and the wheels under 3ft 6" with plenty of spokes ( looks like 12 in the pic)  

• RMweb Gold

If an 08 chassis has close wheel spacing, then other possible alternatives might be the Hunlset Austerity (J94) or even chopping the K's chassis for the 44xx; this will sit very close to the correct height with 16mm diameter wheels.

The E class were the only locos allowed to work onto the harbour breakwater, where small vessels were loaded from a mobile rail crane at one time.  This was accessed through two unlined bare rock tunnels which crossed the running lines in to Barry Pier station as it left it's tunnel from Barry Island on a flat 90 degree crossing.  This was the reason for the relative longevity of 2 of these very attractive little engines, IIRC built by Sharp, Stewart who supplied most of the Barry's locos.  I doubt they ever left the environs of Barry Docks.

The tunnels still exist; the Pier branch tunnel was used for some time as a shooting range after the line closed.