Hornby European Ranges

Hroth

An email arrived this afternoon from Hornby, introducing their European HO ranges to the Hornby website for us lucky Brits to buy, including Jouef, Electrotren, Rivarossi and Lima models.  Most of the initial offerings appear to be intended to remind us that even full-fat Hornby models are mainly cheaper than their Euro brands!

The cheapest models are in the Lima "Junior" range.  If they can sell an outside framed French diesel shunter for £35 (SNCF Class C HL2104), why can't they do a proper 08 in Railroad, instead of the obsolete Jinty chassis based version?

I quite like the idea of the SNCF loco and a train of Chianti tankers....

• RMweb Gold

An email arrived this afternoon from Hornby, introducing their European HO ranges to the Hornby website for us lucky Brits to buy, including Jouef, Electrotren, Rivarossi and Lima models.  Most of the initial offerings appear to be intended to remind us that even full-fat Hornby models are mainly cheaper than their Euro brands!

The cheapest models are in the Lima "Junior" range.  If they can sell an outside framed French diesel shunter for £35 (SNCF Class C HL2104), why can't they do a proper 08 in Railroad, instead of the obsolete Jinty chassis based version?

I quite like the idea of the SNCF loco and a train of Chianti tankers....

French farmers would probably block the tracks and empty out the Italian wine.

I am a bit surprised that they would sell the C61000 that cheaply but it is a model that dates from around 1970 so the costs of tooling have doubtless been recovered many times over.

Yes, the Rivarossi Big Boy (DCC and sound) at $459.99 for the US market (£323) is considerably more expensive than the average Hornby locomotive. Of course it is bigger, but not by *that* much.  The non-DCC/sound version is $389.99 (£274).

It would be curious to see what Hornby offer them for directly in the UK.

French farmers would probably block the tracks and empty out the Italian wine.

I am a bit surprised that they would sell the C61000 that cheaply but it is a model that dates from around 1970 so the costs of tooling have doubtless been recovered many times over.

And a wonderful idea for a diorama.....

I see that they have some Rivarossi Crosti boilered locos - a bit of a double take when I spotted them - where's the chimney???? But again, Hornbys Crosti-boilered 9F is considerably cheaper, with or without sound! (but yes, the Rivarossi 2-8-0 has an astounding level of detail...)

• RMweb Premium

Cheaper to buy it (well, similar) from Italy. Same with the other models I looked  at. Postage is free over €100 as well.

http://www.tecnomodel-treni.it/dettagli.php?id=24227

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see Hornby actively promoting their European ranges to UK modellers, it has often baffled me why they didn't make more of an effort to do this as their is still a reasonable level of interest in European HO amongst UK modellers.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if this change coincides with movement of all stock to a single "centralised" warehouse.

Good point (no pun intended)

Terry

That's great news! 

Agree with the above statement...I would like a better budget Class 08

Was excited when I saw the announcement on facebook earlier today, was all "ooooh, maybe I could get a DR BR 86 Tank steam locomotive"

Clicked through to Arnold N, see I work with N guage, my eyes watered. £236 for a german styled tender steam loco. Holy hell that is asking alot, its the same price as a limited 500 run Mallard in 00 and near £100+ then a collector's box of Farish N rolling stock and 30+ more than the Bachmann/Farish anniversy pack at £199.

Also ontop of this no club discount?

I know the locos are high detail, made of diecast parts and probably has a decent motor and runs well because of the amount of weight it'll have to lug around, but who are they even trying to grab interest from market wise?  I budget around £350-400 a year, this allows with abit of wiggle room to probably get around 3 maybe 4 new N guage locomotives if its a dry release period for rolling stock. £236 is over half the the budget for a year for one loco.

They certainly ain't aiming at my level of budget and I'd say people who budget up to £700 or even £800 or going to be raising a eyebrow dropping £236 down on one loco if they have common sense.

Maybe that seems quite cynical of me, but I was interested in doing abit of german steam locos on the side and the announcement perked my interest alot, but its pretty much luke warm now and I'll be staying with UK outline I think in this regard.

• RMweb Premium

For anyone who is unhappy with the prices, here is a relevant comment from the Bachmann 2016 thread, particularly the second part about personal incomes.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108794-Bachmann-2016-announcements/?p=2231909

Now, can we please get back to the Hornby International range?

Thanks

Moxy

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Hornby are smarter than Bachmann in this respect, if they promote their Euro range not only will it get them a few more sales but it is a powerful message to customers to the effect of "you might not like our UK prices, but this is what our customers in the rest of Europe pay...". That is a good way to convey a message that people do not like in a way that highlights the fact that the UK is still better off than other markets.

On that, it is interesting to note that the Lima range offers some nice models at very attractive prices even by UK norms. Whereas the Rivarossi models are priced well above the level of Hornby OO some of the Lima tooling looks to offer standards that'd be perfectly acceptable to most modellers at very attractive prices. For all that Lima seems to be the Railroad range for their European arm some of the models seem very good.

Nice to see Hornby actively promoting their European ranges to UK modellers, it has often baffled me why they didn't make more of an effort to do this as their is still a reasonable level of interest in European HO amongst UK modellers.

From conversations  with  several  UK  modellers  I  would  have  said  there  was  an  INCREASING level  of interest  in Euro. H0  ( And  USA  also!).

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Hornby are smarter than Bachmann in this respect, if they promote their Euro range not only will it get them a few more sales but it is a powerful message to customers to the effect of "you might not like our UK prices, but this is what our customers in the rest of Europe pay...". That is a good way to convey a message that people do not like in a way that highlights the fact that the UK is still better off than other markets.

On that, it is interesting to note that the Lima range offers some nice models at very attractive prices even by UK norms. Whereas the Rivarossi models are priced well above the level of Hornby OO some of the Lima tooling looks to offer standards that'd be perfectly acceptable to most modellers at very attractive prices. For all that Lima seems to be the Railroad range for their European arm some of the models seem very good.

What is not available though is the (new) Lima Expert range, which so far has been high spec but competitively priced (for European) models of Italian prototypes.

And there are lots of models still available in shops that the website doesn't have, which gives a misleading view on what is actually available if you know where to shop.

And there are lots of models still available in shops that the website doesn't have, which gives a misleading view on what is actually available if you know where to shop.

Quite and this is what a smart stock control / retailer interface could do and help drive sales by directing customers to where stock is available

On the Hornby profit warning thread, there was a discussion about regional buying trends. Whatever you may think of Mike Ashley and sports direct and how they operate, they do have some smart systems. Apparently they move stock up and down the country via their East Midlands warehouse to where a particular item is selling. No reason why Hornby can't be more proactive in the management of stock with retailers. It's in both their interests

David

.... I was interested in doing abit of german steam locos on the side and the announcement perked my interest alot, but its pretty much luke warm now ...

All of my HO German steam have been bought secondhand, except for one. There's just no way I could stretch to paying £250+ in one go for Roco's finest, and all of Weinert's magnificent loco kits are beyond reach for the same reason.

The one exception was the Hornby-Rivarossi DB Br.10 Pacific, which was being offloaded by a German dealer for the equivalent of £108. Compare that to Roco's version of the same engine which, in plain 12v DC form, is somewhere north of £270.

Quite and this is what a smart stock control / retailer interface could do and help drive sales by directing customers to where stock is available

On the Hornby profit warning thread, there was a discussion about regional buying trends. Whatever you may think of Mike Ashley and sports direct and how they operate, they do have some smart systems. Apparently they move stock up and down the country via their East Midlands warehouse to where a particular item is selling. No reason why Hornby can't be more proactive in the management of stock with retailers. It's in both their interests

David

Cost and numbers involved. It would be totally uneconomical

Archived