Farish Announcements

Andy Y

Actually, there's me wishing for a new Class 33 but given the 'shrink from OO' policy I guess that's a non-starter.

However, also given the above policy I have just one word: Presflos...

*mops up drool*

This policy doesn't seem to be applied universally , the class 14 being a case in point. So with a bit of luck Bachmann will still fill the bigger gaps in the range, like a modern-spec 33, even if they aren't planned for the OO range (My money is on Dapol doing the 33 as they're already promising a 26).

This policy doesn't seem to be applied universally , the class 14 being a case in point.

I believe that the class 14 may be a special case. According to what I heard, Bachmann were working on both the 00 and N gauge versions when Heljan announced theirs. Rather than try going head-to-head in the curent economic climate, Bachmann simply put the 00 version on the back burner and decided to release the N gauge one since it was pretty much ready.

Yes, I'm not sure if that's been confirmed but it was discussed at the time of the announcement and seems logical. It's not as if the N gauge market was crying out for a Class 14 and you could argue there were a few others that we may have expected to have gotten first (Class 33, 52, 55, off the top of my head). I'm not complaining about it because it broadens the appeal of the scale, it was just a surprise choice for a new model when you looked at the market as a whole.

Actually, the Deltic is an interesting one now I come to think of it. The OO gauge model has been on the market for a few years now with no sign of it being shrunk (and who would have guessed that we'd get the prototype DP1 before the production model?!). I guess the old Farish one must still be selling well, except... it's gone from this years catalogue and now they've got a suitable chassis with the DP1. Hmmmm... smile.gif

Anyway... thread being churned into pure froth now biggrin.gif I would have been happy with just the Mk Is for 2010 really, everything else is just a bonus.

Actually, there's me wishing for a new Class 33 but given the 'shrink from OO' policy I guess that's a non-starter.

My money is on Dapol for a new 33 (& hopefully a 33/1) given they've already announced a 26. Having said that I don't think I need to rush my Farish 33/1 conversion I've had in a box for 12 months :)

Actually, the Deltic is an interesting one now I come to think of it. The OO gauge model has been on the market for a few years now with no sign of it being shrunk (and who would have guessed that we'd get the prototype DP1 before the production model?!). I guess the old Farish one must still be selling well, except... it's gone from this years catalogue and now they've got a suitable chassis with the DP1. Hmmmm...

Unfortunately the prototype Deltic had both different bogie centres and wheelbase (assuming that the new model will be accurate in these respects).

Actually, the Deltic is an interesting one now I come to think of it. The OO gauge model has been on the market for a few years now with no sign of it being shrunk (and who would have guessed that we'd get the prototype DP1 before the production model?!). I guess the old Farish one must still be selling well, except... it's gone from this years catalogue and now they've got a suitable chassis with the DP1. Hmmmm... smile.gif

Chassis should be different between DP1 and Deltic production see http://clag.org.uk/wheelbase.html though the bogie centres would be rather similar in N.

Presumably the NRM has paid off a lot of the costs for a DP1 project and sales must have been pretty good too. The Deltic model in 4mm just isn't in the same league of quality either at the moment.

I think the class 14 project in N would have only kicked off after the 4mm one where it made more sense. The 08 seems to have been popular and now an 03 is coming too so maybe small diesel shunters are popular choices in N? Its amazing when I look at the old Farish 08 i've still got (minimum speed about 80mph!).

Hi Everyone,

Production deltic bogies were more or less interchangable with Class 37 and 50s so with the latest version of the 37 GF already have those frames and the relevant mechanism in place with only a minor tweak required for the driver's steps. The current version of the deltic features unsophisticated bogie frames that are neither representative or accurate, the bogie centres are wrong too and the clearance between them and the fuel tanks is too wide. The consequence is that some of the defining features of the deltic, the massive fuel tanks and very wide spaced bogies are not present with this model and that is the reason I personally am waiting in hope for a decent version. I can't imagine that will occur until the present models have done their dash as the retailers and with that in mind the DP1 release makes a lot of sense.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

The new Farish Mk.1s were on display at Ally Pally today and I have to say they look superb and every bit as good as their OO cousins. Fitted with seating and separate detail included etched mesh in the brakes, they are an order of magnitude better than the old ones.

SP_A0273a.jpg

SP_A0270a.jpg

Apologies for the poor pics, but they were taken on the mobile camera.

I think a charter rake of these will be in order!

Tom.

• 1 month later...

A thought (and I'll admit now it's speculative) occurred to me the other day concerning the choice of prototype for the first new MK1s. The SK and CK are essentially the same body shell as is required for the TS and TC for a 4CEP. Perhaps this programme is going hand in hand with some of the ground work required to bring the 4CEP to N gauge..? Obviously underframe details, bogies and end details differ, but all things that can be accounted for in the production process. Another less "leading" reason could be that Bachmann have fresh CAD work for those two because of the OO 4CEP so those two would be "no brainers" in any case.

Even if this doesn't mean we might see an N 4CEP sooner than we'd perhaps have thought, it will mean that nearly half of the work of producing an unrefurbished one yourself will have already been done :)

I'm also wondering if this means we might see the improved underframes (with close coupling and NEM pockets) applied to future batches of the MK1 Pullmans.

with Dapol also committed to a Southern unit it would make sense to prepare ahead.

Not any more - Kernow have passed that mantle to Bachmann.

Do we have any firm dates for when and how these are being introduced? They don't seem to be in the schedule as such or will they get "substituted in" for the existing SO, SK, CK and BSK models in future batches?

Unfortunately Paddy, there are some differences between a loco hauled TSO and the one in a CEP, notably the end boxes for the jumpers, as well as the underframe as you say. If however, Bachmann have designed the ends to be interchagable, it might stack up, though I seem to remember reading that the CEP had fully new tooling sides in 4mm. Would certainly be interesting to see a slammer in though!

Didn't Dapol say they were still doing the Thumper in N btw, despite the 4mm change?

cheers

jo

It's not in blue lettering in the list above, nor headlined elsewhere, so probably just the old one.

If they're going to do a refurbished 50 in small logo blue, they might at least choose one of the six that actually carried that livery after refurbishment. This will be the second time they've got it wrong :(

They did do Large Logo Blue (50004) and Railfreight (50149). Not done any of the four(!) different variants of NSE yet, although joined-up thinking would require them to do matching Mk1 stock at the same time.

Archived