The Factory: Plan for a Small Industrial Layout

Edwardian

I am new to this section of the website and was hoping for some pointers or suggestions on a track plan.

I would like to evolve a plan for a rail-served factory to form a 4mm scale OO gauge layout.  The layout could be built and operated as an independent 'micro-layout', but could also be incorporated into a larger layout in due course.  This means that the buildings framing the module will have to be modelled in full and on all sides so that, for incorporation into the larger layout, the backscene can be taken away and the boards slotted into the larger layout. 

The parameters are:

• This is very much a steam-age project, set in the late Victorian period.
  • There is no prescribed size or shape, but it needs to be small and compact.
  • There needs to be enough of an internal railway system to justify a factory-owned 0-4-0ST or 2.
  • Cost is very much a factor and I must have an eye to being economical in track and points. 
  • Within the precincts of the factory, I anticipate that the track will be inset in the road surface.  Peco Code 75 track might be an economical solution, as the sleepering won't be visible.
  • The main factory building is single storey, quite long and likely to run along the rear of the scene.  I thought it might be fronted by a track inset with one or more wagon turntables to allow wagons to enter the factory at right-angles.
  • From one side, say the left, a line enters the layout.  I would like this to be via an arch in a building that frames the left side of the complex.  This line represents the both the connection to the mainline and, via an offstage junction, the internal system's line to the location of much of the raw material. Thus, the exit track would be used both for internal traffic and by 'mainline' 0-6-0s bringing in other raw materials and coal for the factory boilers and taking away empty mineral wagons and finished products.
  • At the right hand end I envisage a single-road engine shed for the factory engine.  Probably this would be long enough for 2 little 0-4-0STs.
  • Also at the right side is another exit from the layout. This could run behind the engine shed, so as to disguise the exit.  This is the connection to the docks, necessary because some finished product goes via water and some supplies and raw materials might come this way, too.  The dock railway has it's own locomotives too!

What confuses me is everything that happens in the middle.  There would need to be some way to deliver coal to the boiler house, raw materials to one or more places, and to take finished product out of either side of the factory.

The incoming and outgoing traffic probably does not need to be in trains of more than 3 or 4 wagons.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Edwardian, this could be a fun little project and I am wondering what this factory produces!

It's a pity you've had no takers so far, and I'm more of a receiver than giver of advice as far as layout design is concerned, I'm afraid.  Why not ask Dzine, I'm sure he would ideas.

Thanks, you remind me that I had been meaning to post on the last MR, including Paul's excellent Castle schemes. Perhaps the form here is to come up with a plan and submit it for criticism, but I haven't managed to get that far!

Thanks, Tanantvalley.

Worcester South Quay is stunning, not least because of the subtle use of brick papers, and the convergence of 3 lines in a turntable is neat and clever. 

Ledsam Street Yard is a wonderfully compact and attractive layout, though I think in OO I can afford to be a little more expansive, it shows how the basic brief can be achieved with incredible economy of space.

Certainly food for thought here.

Both excellent layouts, thank you both, and I will derive inspiration from both.  You know I love printed textures and I think Stubby's box file has a wonderful enclosed little world feel.  The wagon turntable and the entrance via the arch are both very much features I would like to incorporate.  I don't think I can do tall buildings, because the factory building that has inspired the idea is not such a tall building (see below).  I do want to go with the enclosed yard feel, but suspect I will have to model every building in full relief in order to future-proof it in case the larger layout gets built!  Also, I could never replicate the Mill's track plan!

post-25673-0-20917800-1461349649_thumb.jpg

Hello to All

Here's my 2p. A 5x1 track plan set in a brick walled courtyard. Heavy industry is what i'm envisioning. An archway at both ends is included for entrance and exit. A small shed is included. The Boiler room coal pile could be piled on the end of the import siding just for a bit of detail. If this post isn't useful in any other way have a look at the link, A list of industries that have been in the UK at one stage or another; http://mike.da2c.org/igg/rail/12-linind/012-index.htm

Lachlan

post-22433-0-61152100-1461358715_thumb.jpg

...The main factory building is single storey, quite long and likely to run along the rear of the scene.  I thought it might be fronted by a track inset with one or more wagon turntables to allow wagons to enter the factory at right-angles..

What confuses me is everything that happens in the middle. 

Let me suggest that these two are linked, but I have a solution to offer. Having been around a fair number of factories in my career, one thing that is quickly noticed is that original intentions are usually submerged under 'later thoughts'.

So you plan your factory in build stages. Maybe the long single storey building is the original. When Gludge extractication became practical, a whole new section had to be added, slap in the middle of the yard, making it very awkward to work, because only a single track connects the two halves, for both road and rail access. This necessitated a second shunting loco, as delay was occasioned working one loco back and forth to service the two halves.

Let me suggest that these two are linked, but I have a solution to offer. Having been around a fair number of factories in my career, one thing that is quickly noticed is that original intentions are usually submerged under 'later thoughts'.

So you plan your factory in build stages. Maybe the long single storey building is the original. When Gludge extractication became practical, a whole new section had to be added, slap in the middle of the yard, making it very awkward to work, because only a single track connects the two halves, for both road and rail access. This necessitated a second shunting loco, as delay was occasioned working one loco back and forth to service the two halves.

Actually, the bit pictured is the new bit (circa 1890), but I take your point.  I also need an older bit to evolve from.

The layout would be a self-contained module that could be incorporated in the Isle of Eldernell & Mereport Railway project, which is set in1897.

The factory is at Mereport.  The right hand exit is to the Mereport Canal & Harbour Board lines and should logically be the older part, probably dating from the 1850s-60s.  The Isle of Eldernell Steam Traction Company's Mereport Extension was not completed until the late 1880s, but resulted in a great increase in trade for the factory and, hence, the new buildings and the exit left to the Isle of Eldernell & Mereport Railway's main line.

What sort of size are we talking about, both visual and for the fiddle yard/ traverser which will be discarded when incorporated into the larger layout?  If there is scope for a long FY or traverser then  there is scope to reduce the number of points while still retaining operating interest by pulling outgoing wagons out with the incoming ones and switching them to another siding.

For example I often shunt our outside branch terminus by pulling 12 outgoing wagons out of the yard and into the loop with the engine and 12 incoming wagons, which makes the pannier grunt a bit.  I run round the incoming wagons first to get the loco at the right end.  There is enough length for 30 wagons before the limit of shunt board.   The terminus only has 4 working points, loop and two sidings. I could get away with 3, or 2 if the loco stayed the same end of the wagons.

What sort of size are we talking about, both visual and for the fiddle yard/ traverser which will be discarded when incorporated into the larger layout?  If there is scope for a long FY or traverser then  there is scope to reduce the number of points while still retaining operating interest by pulling outgoing wagons out with the incoming ones and switching them to another siding.

For example I often shunt our outside branch terminus by pulling 12 outgoing wagons out of the yard and into the loop with the engine and 12 incoming wagons, which makes the pannier grunt a bit.  I run round the incoming wagons first to get the loco at the right end.  There is enough length for 30 wagons before the limit of shunt board.   The terminus only has 4 working points, loop and two sidings. I could get away with 3, or 2 if the loco stayed the same end of the wagons.

This is a bit of chicken and egg; if I can light on a likely looking arrangement, I can probably think about size and then go on to refine the design.  Since the factory I have in mind is the raison d'etre,  I might just build this and see how long it ends up!

Not a conventional approach, I grant you, but, then I am quite hopeless as a railway modeller: Castle Aching does not have baseboards, a track plan or even any definite dimensions, I am just making it up as I go along.

• RMweb Gold

I'm faced with a similar interesting problem, and have found a lot of track ideas, though no information about working, on the NLS maps pages.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=51.5084&lon=0.0192&layers=168.

Although this page shows mainly docks there are a number of small factories along the Thames and canals, fortunately often with descriptions of the products produced or processed.

I am proposing to use up my stock of code 100 small radius points, also as inset track. I will jot down some of my thoughts later, but please let me know if they are too distracting to this thread.

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Edwardian,

I've posted these links before but I think they are saturated with the atmosphere you are probably aiming for:-

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=4762&PageIndex=15&KeyWord=bass&SortOrder=2

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=4785&SearchType=4

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=4838&PageIndex=2&SearchType=4

All are taken around the Burton on Trent breweries, hope they help!

Hi Edwardian,

I've posted these links before but I think they are saturated with the atmosphere you are probably aiming for:-

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=4762&PageIndex=15&KeyWord=bass&SortOrder=2

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=4785&SearchType=4

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=4838&PageIndex=2&SearchType=4

All are taken around the Burton on Trent breweries, hope they help!

if you have a long length  available for headshunts or fiddle yards you could use something like the Burton Brewery photos above, see my plan in anyrail. 

Those pictures are simply wonderful, and I am particularly taken with the first of them .  Saturated with atmosphere they certainly are.

That is a good plan, for which thanks.  Certainly up for consideration.

• RMweb Premium

May I put in a pitch for a cramped industrial site with good buildings, historical pedigree, and it's own shunter:

http://www.walktelfordheritage.co.uk/uploads/data/087-Coalbrookdale.jpg

Not very clear, the site is reached from the left off a GWR branch running up the left and swinging round behind at the top on a viaduct. There's a pool in the lower foreground feeding a forge. The yard with the wagons handled all the traffic in and out for melting cupola and casting sheds, and also served as a GWR goods depot. There's a very restricted upper yard for the box file fans serving warehouses, This is towards top right. Where the cars are parked here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/museum/gb/museum-of-iron-coalbrookdale/images/museum_of_iron_coalbrookdale_03_090402.jpg

There's more images if you google coalbrookdale iron museum images.

May I put in a pitch for a cramped industrial site with good buildings, historical pedigree, and it's own shunter:

http://www.walktelfordheritage.co.uk/uploads/data/087-Coalbrookdale.jpg

Not very clear, the site is reached from the left off a GWR branch running up the left and swinging round behind at the top on a viaduct. There's a pool in the lower foreground feeding a forge. The yard with the wagons handled all the traffic in and out for melting cupola and casting sheds, and also served as a GWR goods depot. There's a very restricted upper yard for the box file fans serving warehouses, This is towards top right. Where the cars are parked here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/museum/gb/museum-of-iron-coalbrookdale/images/museum_of_iron_coalbrookdale_03_090402.jpg

There's more images if you google coalbrookdale iron museum images.

That is an attractive site. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived