Dapol O Gauge HEA and HAA Coal hoppers Progress

Great Western

Does anyone have any idea if the HEA and HAA vehicles are being progressed or have they been dropped ?

There doesn't seem to be anything on the new forum that Dapol have developed, and I can't see an option to add a news thread on the correct section either.

Cheers

Does anyone have any idea if the HEA and HAA vehicles are being progressed or have they been dropped ?

There doesn't seem to be anything on the new forum that Dapol have developed, and I can't see an option to add a news thread on the correct section either.

Cheers

Still progressing (slowly) - I thought I read somewhere recently that they would be out by late 2016 - not too much longer - I want a rake of HEA's myself!

Considering a rake myself but how many would constitute a rake, was thinking about 20 myself, any other ideas? Also heard a rumour Heljan are considering a 56 just to whet appetites.

Whilst rake length was normally between 24 (trains via the Forth Bridge, IIRC) and 42 (long-distance workings to Didcot), there were some Speedlink services that conveyed a short rake (perhaps 10 wagons) of the HDA variant. These ran to various cement works in East Anglia, either from the East Midlands or from King's Lynn.

HEA's could potentially be much shorter rakes as they were used for speedlink coal...I remember seeing this working on occasion as a kid and I recall seeing it this short a rake as well...

6868236116_132b1fffbf_c.jpg58006 makes light work of a short 10:20 Didcot to Chessington speedlink coal service at Wimbledon. by Jeremy Gould, on Flickr

5522849190_1d451a5071_z.jpg58018 heads east through Reading with the 10:20 Didcot to Chessington South speedlink coal working. by Jeremy Gould, on Flickr

This is probably a bit more usual though...

6088317805_1e243c7771_z.jpg37199 accelerates south through Wimbledon with the 10:20 Didcot to Chessington South Speedlink coal. by Jeremy Gould, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The first thing I noticed was that the leaf springs are bent the wrong way.

This is a very useful wagon. There are lots more photos of them in shorter rakes than HAAs but what makes them even more useful is that they were more common for split destinations. I used to travel through Colchester Hythe regularly in the 80s & 90s. There was a private coal distribution depot there & varying number of HEAs would be dotted around the place, usually 1-5 but sometimes more.

2 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

The HBA has a partial hood over the top to enable higher running speeds up to 60 mph as opposed to the uncovered HEA which run at 45 mph.

Cheers, Ade.

Sorry but you need to look at the reuse of TOPS codes!

HBA was originally issued for the 1977 Shildon built manual discharge and had a 55 mph loaded speed and 45 mph empty! 

HEA was for resprung HBA to allow 70 mph running both empty and loaded leaving the HBA code free!

HBA second use was for HDA merry go round hoppers (the ones 60 mph running)  and to prevent blow off of load top skips/hoods were fitted and the wagons recoded!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Weren’t the HSA the welded door scrap pool wagons? 

I really hope Dapol develop the chassis like the real vehicle with different bodies like the MEA etc.

Although a nice little speedlink trip working or even a trunk job is in the offing with the vans as well.

Credit where it is due, well done Dapol.

3 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

That is an odd comment. They look very like the HBA spring to me https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhba/e329a64ff

Paul

PS HSA photos here https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/hsa

That's interesting. I have never seen leaf springs on any vehicle in the shape of those in your HBA pic ... until now.

Those in the HSA photo are curved in the conventional direction, but only just.

40 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That's interesting. I have never seen leaf springs on any vehicle in the shape of those in your HBA pic ... until now.

Those in the HSA photo are curved in the conventional direction, but only just.

But all the HSA are converted after conversion of HBA to HEA, the spring is Bruninghaus, rather different to conventional leaf springs. I agree the HBA spring is unusual in how many leaves it has and must have been very stiff. As Mark mentions they were limited to 55/45 mph and therefore unsuitable for their role as part of the Speedlink fleet which is why they were resprung to become HEA. Mark explains why it was important to modify the TOPS code so that the speed restriction would be obvious, although the TOPS printout would indicate this. 

Springs will always vary in appearance depending on whether loaded or unloaded. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...