BBC TV Blue Peter Childrens Program (1970s) .

DonnyRailMan

I remember an episode of blue peter where simon groom ( I think that was his name ) found the locomotive of the same name in the loco yard at Doncaster Depot and if I remember right that began the process of the locos restoration and subsequent return to service carrying the LNER apple green livery and the number 532 on the cabside.

The restoration would have been before Simon Groom's time (unless they did it twice). I seem to remember Peter Purves and John Noakes being there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The restoration would have been before Simon Groom's time (unless they did it twice). I seem to remember Peter Purves and John Noakes being there.

Simon Groom was on Blue Peter 1978 - 1986.

First renaming at Doncaster was 1971.

NELPG restored it to mainline condition at ICI from 1988 to 1991in BR green as 60532.

Must have been other presenters.

Hope the link works. :) Renaming ceremony 22 November 1970 with John Noakes, Peter Purves and Valerie Singleton.

https://youtu.be/X-Cped5YERs

Crikey! That matching shirt & tie worn by Pete make me rather glad I was still in Black & white back then. No wonder Val allowed herself to be wooed by that 1970's fashionista. Grey socks an all.

Liked the apology to all those who couldn't make it Oop North for the ceremony. I wonder if they would have made the same apology to those Oop North if the naming ceremony had been at a works down't South. 

The film leaves me wondering if any of the three prize winners have heard of RM web?

P

Edit: Must remember to put the letter R in shirt.

Edited by Porcy Mane

So the A2 Blue Peter is like New York. So good the BBC named it twice :sungum:

Thanks for posting those clips. The 40th anniversary one did rather confirm what I've often thought, that the train it's hauling tends not to be the best place from which to experience a steam loco, That's never stopped me yet though.

In the 1970 renaming ceremony I did like the question from the Radio Leeds reporter "You've not been to the north very often have you?" I assume she meant the programme not John Noakes as he is from Halifax.

Valerie Singleton- who I think had decided she was a member of the Royal Family- mentioned that the programme had always taken a great interest in the locomotive before it was withdrawn. Anyone know of any items about it from that time?

Edited by Pacific231G

I have a vague memory of Christopher Trace being interviewed on BBC quite a few years after he'd left Blue Peter, where he mentioned that the technicians at "It's a Square World" played a dastardly trick on him.  Older folk like me might recall their clever and funny special effects.  Anyway, the story was that, unbeknown to him, those technicians built a replica of the Blue Peter layout - then blew it to bits!  Enter CT later to find 'his' layout totally destroyed, then being shown his actual creation safe and sound in another room!  Anyone here on RMWeb to verify that story /  my memory?

ITV had a (rather second rate) rival programme at the time called Magpie, and of course if Blue Peter had a steam locomotive then Magpie had to have a steam locomotive.  Black 5 number 44806 was duly adopted and named "Magpie"

Jim

Before that they filmed an item with one of the presenters riding in the cab of the Warship class "Magpie" over the Royal Albert Bridge.

ITV had a (rather second rate) rival programme at the time called Magpie, and of course if Blue Peter had a steam locomotive then Magpie had to have a steam locomotive.  Black 5 number 44806 was duly adopted and named "Magpie"

Jim

Yes I remember Blue Peter was Monday & Thursday ten-to-five. Magpie Tuesday & Friday at similar times. 

Did you know?

Susan Stranks of Magpie appeared opposite Kenneth More in the Railway Scenes in the 1959 version of the 39 Steps. She played a dizzy Public Schoolgirl.

Did you know II ?

A certain RM webber and Model Buffer manufacturer appeared opposite Richard Hannay in the 2008 BBC version of the 39 Steps. He didn't play a dizzy public schoolgirl.

Time to roll out the most repeated video on you tube RMweb...              again.

Did ya spot him? Aye buts what this got ta de wi Blue Peter?   :yahoo:

Edit

Edited by Porcy Mane

Went to the Darlington Model Railway extravaganza yesterday  (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111105-darlington-model-railway-show-sept-3rd4th-2016/&do=findComment&comment=2301800 ) and snapped this in the NELPG workshop.

Not the P2 thingy through the doorway.

post-508-0-36699400-1472952749.jpg

P

• RMweb Gold

Went to the Darlington Model Railway extravaganza yesterday  (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111105-darlington-model-railway-show-sept-3rd4th-2016/&do=findComment&comment=2301800 ) and snapped this in the NELPG workshop.

Not the P2 thingy through the doorway.

attachicon.gifP2Build_J27Rebuild-SM.jpg

P

You need an optician young man, looks nowt like a P2.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/1939_Rover_P2_12hp_AL_68_28_Meppen_02.06.2013_9._Touristische_Oldtimerausfahrt_(335).JPG

Mike.

You need an optician young man, 

The older I get the truer that is but to get back to Pee'ing:

I could have spun through 180 degrees and took a phot of (IMHO) the much more desirable P3 wearing only it's underwear*.

post-508-0-92935100-1473004280.jpg

although I would prefer to be at the wheel of the ultra rare Roy Pierpoint P6.

1790757157_e63896075d_z.jpgRover 3.5 Thruxton August 1970 by Keith, on Flickr

P

*P3/J27 pic taken with the very helpful assistance of the NELPG volunteers.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

CF has appeared on Blue Peter four times. Three were very successful but the second one a disaster, as we had a live derailment - the director wanted us to do wrong line running... I’m sure the videos are on YouTube somewhere.  They do have a fixation on Flying Scotsman, but that is understandable. The best outing to the TV Centre was the last appearance, where they blue screened the presenters and superimposed them on the layout, more or less to scale.  Returning to topic, I seem to recall being shown the stored BP layout in store at one of the earliest showings that we made. 

Tim

P.S. I have a Blue Peter badge and the layout has some stickers, although they aren’t displayed these days. 

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

A few years ago I acquired the triang pullman coach RUTH which was used by Blue Peter. It was still with original box. It was bought from a BBC TV engineer who had purchased it from a Blue Peter props department sale in 2011. It lives in its' box on a shelf currently......

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The other week watching the Hornby programme on TV  I thought Hornby are always talking about getting youngsters into the hobby.  So why don't Hornby revive a layout through BBC Blue Peter programme and that would open up a market and would be free. 

• Like 1