Where next for the Class 442s?

• RMweb Premium

There has been no sign of any gauging runs for the 165/166's towards Brighton yet, are they going to be coming this way?  At the moment three car 158's should be on the services but rattly old two car 150's have become an increasing and unpopular regularity of late.

• RMweb Premium

There has been no sign of any gauging runs for the 165/166's towards Brighton yet, are they going to be coming this way?  At the moment three car 158's should be on the services but rattly old two car 150's have become an increasing and unpopular regularity of late.

The Brighton turns have been worked by 150s far too often over the years and it's getting worse.   That is really putting people off using the service.  It might be the case that a future GWR franchise terminates that limb of the empire which would be a sad loss rather than gauge and train on a new type just for two trips a day.  One Sunday turn has been booked 2x150 all along.  I guess SWR no longer has spare capacity to loan a 159 which they did for a few years.  The afternoon trip to Brighton was always a 159 and was enjoyed by many for its nice comfortable seating.

The Sussex coast seems to be the dumping ground.  313s replaced brand new 377s on local (and not-so-local) services and GWR sees fit to use two-car 150s on a lengthy run of several hours which plays havoc with the seat reservations and the toilet (only one per unit on a 150) is not always in service.  Dreadful.

Looking forward to the 442s coming back.  Unless they have their seats replaced with class 387/700/707-style ironing boards.

• Like 1

It would be reasonable therefore to assume that they may also be used to provide additional capacity on routes currently worked by 150 / 153 units including to Weymouth

16X units are slated to replace 15X's on the the BTM-Wey route. A 2 car 165 would be a measurable improvement over a 150/1 though I doubt the journey down Bruton bank will be quite as exciting(!)

Nice to see GWR back in Weymouth :-)

The 442's will probably be back as well on the Pompey-Wey service.

Stu

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The proposed Pompey - Weymouth service has attracted a lot of negative feedback and according to SWR’s own press releases it is “under review”.

I suspect few journeys are actually made which cannot already be made more quickly (even with a change at Southampton) on the existing timetable. As well there are some quite vocal users who wish to travel to London and not Portsmouth. The existing pattern seems to work well abd I am honestly not sure what SWR hope(d) to achieve by forcing more people to change trains / cram onto the remaining Weymouth - London fasts other than perhaps someone somewhere had a “Good Idea” to be different.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the 442s coming back.  Unless they have their seats replaced with class 387/700/707-style ironing boards.

Don't know what type of seating they'really getting, but it's supposed to be 2+2 style in First and Standard, rather like the 450s. The 444s are apparently going to get the same treatment in the not too distant future.

• RMweb Premium

With 18 units forming 9 10-car trains there won’t be much spare capacity for 442s to work Portsmouth - Weymouths even they happen. The existing timetable requires 8 trains for the Waterloo - Portsmouth fasts, currently a mix of 444s and 450s in mostly 8-car or 10-car formations.

The 442s will take over these workings allowing 444s to strengthen the 5-car Waterloo - Weymouths (as far as Bournemouth in most cases owing to the limits on running 10-car trains west of Poole) with the 450s reassigned to give extra capacity on Basingstoke stoppers which are currently 4-car at times.

Alternatively some six or eight units would be needed for a Portsmouth - Weymouth service some of which would potentially be 444s if their London workings were changed.

• RMweb Premium

3 car Class 166' have been working a few diagrams on the GWR Weymouth line for the past 5/6 days - 2O98 has been stabling at Weymouth for the next mornings 2D05 - as well as a few forays to Salisbury - 2O01 from Westbury / 2E16 from Salisbury, to name a few.

Edited by ba14eagle

It's been a while since I last travelled on a class 442 (well before they moved to Southern) but I seem to remember part of the first class included compartments and was only semi-open.

I'm guessing by now that's a feature that has been refurbished away.

But when might that have been.

• RMweb Premium

It's been a while since I last travelled on a class 442 (well before they moved to Southern) but I seem to remember part of the first class included compartments and was only semi-open.

I'm guessing by now that's a feature that has been refurbished away.

But when might that have been.

The compartments went when the units were refurbished for Gatwick Express duties - with first class reallocated to one end of the MBS in an open saloon format (complete with extra windows cut into the bodyshell). The former 1st class driving trailer then became all standard class open coach.

Whatever SWR have planned, compartments (or even having an entire coach for 1st class ticket holders) won't be coming back.

• RMweb Gold

TV news snippet : -

BBC South Today Lunchtime News, 13.30, Article showing 442s in Eastleigh works for refurbs.

Probably re-shown on evening's 18.30 South Today programme.

Thanks for the 'heads up'.  Courtesy of Sky, although not living in the BBC South Today region, I was able to watch.  Also thanks to Ian J. who has now posted a link to the piece.

It's interesting that Eastleigh Works contains some of the Gat-Ex liveried 442s.  Presumably these haven't yet been through any attention at Bournemouth?   I was working under the assumption that with 442419 having had the external work completed at Bournemouth first and now recently moved to Eastleigh, that all the units destined for SWR would follow the same cycle. 

Also noted that 444040 appeared in shot too.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the 'heads up'.  Courtesy of Sky, although not living in the BBC South Today region, I was able to watch.  Also thanks to Ian J. who has now posted a link to the piece.

It's interesting that Eastleigh Works contains some of the Gat-Ex liveried 442s.  Presumably these haven't yet been through any attention at Bournemouth?   I was working under the assumption that with 442419 having had the external work completed at Bournemouth first and now recently moved to Eastleigh, that all the units destined for SWR would follow the same cycle. 

Also noted that 444040 appeared in shot too.

AFAIK, the units stored at Eastleigh with no work yet progressed are the ones earmarked for the putative open-access operator so have nothing to do with the refurbishment program being applied to the SWR fleet.

John

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK, the units stored at Eastleigh with no work yet progressed are the ones earmarked for the putative open-access operator so have nothing to do with the refurbishment program being applied to the SWR fleet.

John

Yes, that’s what I thought originally too.

But with thanks and acknowledgement to a very recent post on the WNXX forum, the future users of the 442s and the units current locations suggest otherwise.

South Western Railway - 2402, 2403, 2404, 2406, 2408, 2409, 2410, 2411, 2413, 2414, 2415, 2416, 2417, 2418, 2419, 2420, 2422 & 2423

Grand Southern Railway - 2401, 2405, 2407, 2412, 2421 & 2424

Locations

Bournemouth TRSMD - 2403, 2404, 2406, 2409, 2410, 2411, 2414, 2415, 2416, 2417, 2418, 2420, 2422 & 2423

Ely Papworth - 2401, 2407, 2412 & 2421

Eastleigh TRSMD - 2405 & 2424

Eastleigh Works - 2402, 2408, 2413 & 2419

• 4 months later...

An up-date.

The rolling-stock refurbishment programme continues at Bournemouth (Branksome) Depot.

post-7009-0-40388600-1530718068_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-53921100-1530718103_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-70547100-1530718127_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-45381400-1530718151_thumb.jpg

Photos accredited to Son of Ceptic.

Peter Kazmeirczak has another pic / more info in his post #640 on this thread page. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121466-third-rail-emu-photos/page-26

Still no sign of a finished example of SWR's Cl.442 livery tho'.

All the best,

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 5

Thanks Frank.

Many Class 442s are scattered around BM depot in their SWR grey base-coat. Haven't seen one yet with any branding, transfers or even numbers applied.

If you want the unit number, you'll find it handwritten on a sheet of A4 taped inside the cab windows.....

post-6880-0-08158400-1530719445.jpg

• Like 8

Cheers Peter.

I wonder how far along the 442s' refurbishments are progressing at Eastleigh ?. It would be interesting to find out.

All the best,

Frank. 

I saw a 10-car 5+5 pair passing ECS through Southampton Central just over a week ago, heading toward Eastleigh.

One set in debranded GTX and the other in the grey base coat.

Later I passed them on a following XC as we approached Eastleigh. They were waiting on the Up as our train passed by on the new Up loop.

I assumed they were on their way from Bournemouth to Eastleigh works.

• RMweb Premium

On 25th June while shopping in EH there was one in the Works, visible from the bus on Southampton Road. Later there was one (possibly 2, I didn't check as I was in a hurry and walking past) in Platform 3 at the station, which I assumed was the same unit. The coach sides still carried "EXPRESS". The unit number was on the cab side and I wrote it down on a till receipt.... Since binned!  A look on RTT suggested it was 5Q51, Eastleigh Works to Bournemouth Depot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A statement on SWR's website indicates that the 442s will return with their 1960s 4Rep traction motors for the time being, and also be used on the Bournemouth line as well as the expected Portsmouth Direct.  Based upon the latest iteration of the livery seen on class 159 units and in phots posted here they are likely to be presented in two-tone plain grey paint rather than reflective-striped vinyls.  

Later this year we plan to begin the introduction of refurbished Class 442 trains, due to serve London Waterloo and Portsmouth as well as London Waterloo and Bournemouth.  We’ve partnered with Kiepe Electric UK who are carrying out the refurbishment in two phases. The first phase includes interior improvements to include new seats, carpets, accessible toilets, improved Wi-Fi and a new on-board infotainment system.  Next year we’ll start phase two which will involve changes to the cycle areas and the re-tractioning of the units, bringing about better performance and reliability.

As a passenger, I'd much rather they made the things work properly and *then* sort out the high-spec' interior than admire said interior while the train blocks the down fast in the evening peak...

Adam

• RMweb Premium

A rather ominous statement there. "It’s a good opportunity to increase seating capacity while these trains are being refurbished, so all the trains will reconfigured to provide additional standard class seating."

This obsession with seating capacity results in the dreadful 3x2 seating which seems to plague modern trains. I hope this isn't the plan, as they are cramped, uncomfortable and restricts room to move through the carriage (thereby slowing loading and unloading). But it makes a good headline to have more seats on trains, and there's nothing DafT like more than a good headline...

Edit: stupid auto-correct!

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus