Some market research - TRACTION

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

I've never bought the magazine but I've looked through the preview via the app a couple of times. Going by the title and the normal photo of a modern train I'd go with it being a magazine for modern image railways. Unfortunately modern day locos don't interest me so I wouldn't buy it but the traction modelling section does look good, maybe this should be published as a separate magazine as there's always seems to be very much diesel related br blue etc and would appeal to many.

Sorry I kind of went off on an angle there but if you don't ask you don't get ;)

Cheers

Knowing the magazine makes this question otiose - I was drawn to the images of BR Blue diesels on the first issue I saw and bought. 

The title alone would have suggested Traction Engines to me (which I have no interest in) but seeing the loco number plate style might have tempted me to look further.

Unless you're going to publish it in a plain white cover, the pic of the train on the front would be a clue I guess.

Not in, say, Smiths; where only the title is likely to be visible.

I hope you aren't paying a lot for this 'market research'.

I doubt that they're paying anything at all for it. I can see why they're asking, though. I know what the magazine's about (I posted earlier in the thread that I've read a few issues) and I understand why the title is what it is; but I don't think it's a particularly good title and I don't think that the title design helps. Something closer to the BR corporate nameplate style would be better, IMO.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

The  "Traction" nameplate masthead itself looks like its off a Road Locomotive/Ploughing Engine/Showmen's Engine and the name "Traction" confirms it.

Like:

http://prestonservices.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Fowler_RL_TheLion_12-748x554.jpg

http://prestonservices.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Burrell_SRL_VANGUARD_7.jpg

Sorry, it's the completely wrong title for a railway related publication.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

The  "Traction" nameplate masthead itself looks like its off a Road Locomotive/Ploughing Engine/Showmen's Engine and the name "Traction" confirms it.

Like:

http://prestonservices.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Fowler_RL_TheLion_12-748x554.jpg

http://prestonservices.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Burrell_SRL_VANGUARD_7.jpg

Sorry, it's the completely wrong title for a railway related publication.

Keith

Interesting, I'd never really thought of Traction being about traction engines and the like but seeing those pictures I can see how it might be interpretated that way.

I think Diesel Days might do the trick, or diesel daze as some us platform ending at subterranean Birmingham New Street would have felt from being intoxicated by the fumes in the good old days...

Cheers,

Keith

Whilst I do occasionally buy Traction if I did not I would assume the magazine would be about Traction engines rather than Diesel & Electric Locomotives based on the title.

I assume that this post is a precursor to a change of direction / review of the magazine content and whilst it doesn't illicit any feedback on the magazine content I'm going to give some anyway.

Generally the magazine seems to have improved from its low point a couple of years ago (exemplified by the infamous and particularly dire "Withdrawn locos at Toton" article) there are still a number of weak points including poor proof reading with numerous spelling and grammar mistakes in each issue and lack of depth to some articles. I would personally like to see more in depth articles about D&E subjects and a resistance to avoid the temptation to refocus on the modern era which is already well served by the likes of Rail Express and Railways Illustrated.

The modelling section is rather poor and should either be dropped or completely revamped. Currently the articles and standard of modelling do not compare favourably with the Rail Express modelling supplement which most issues is just as good (and usually better) than many of the dedicated modelling magazines.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, I'd never really thought of Traction being about traction engines and the like but seeing those pictures I can see how it might be interpretated that way.

I think Diesel Days might do the trick, or diesel daze as some us platform ending at subterranean Birmingham New Street would have felt from being intoxicated by the fumes in the good old days...

Cheers,

Keith

No diesel locomotives but plenty of MUs. It still stinks of diesel fumes after a few Voyagers/Sprinters/HSTs etc. have been in there!

BTW I think "Diesel Days" would be too narrow as a title. What about all those electric locos & trains that were around as well?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Very true Keith, BNS still is very fumy, but the smell of today's MUs I reckon is different to the Peaks and 40s that used to inhabit the place? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Yes, electrics need to be catered for in the mag too, absolutely, I guess I just like the alliteration of 'diesel days'!

all the best,

Keith

As someone who is only interested in modern image railways, I am afraid that I would not see "Traction" as a title to entice me to buy this particular magazine, even though it purports to cater for my railway interests.

(I know that this leads the field open to suggestive titles from fellow RMWebbers, but hey, it's getting towards the season of goodwill to all...)

Keith

It'll be the relative lack of lung-clogging soot-particles, carcinogenic partially-burned fuel, raw fuel aerosols etc that makes a difference to the aroma.

Personally, I find the old smell nostalgia-inducing, and the new smell nausea-inducing.

Close-up and personal, old electrics smell significantly different from new ones too, largely because the materials used for insulation have changed.

Kevin

It doesn't say steam traction engines to me at all. I would have though that any magazine that is trying to appeal to steam enthusiasts would have STEAM somewhere in the title.

Nor tractor enthusiasts, as surely it would be tractor rather than traction (Tractor, Modern Tractor, Old Tractor, Classic Tractor, etc.). Loads of those available. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tractor+magazines&biw=1242&bih=592&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwishaK_pJ7PAhVLCsAKHfK_DJkQ_AUIBygC

Nor road vehicles which probably would have road or haulage in the title instead.

When I've seen it in WHS or advertised, it screams D & E motive power to me. Mainly from the 1980s and heritage, with plenty of more modern stuff like 66s and 70s. Of a similar content to Motive Power Monthly and the original Rail Enthusiast. I do agree that the font of the nameplate is a bit misleading though.

Even Brush are now called Brush Traction. http://www.brushtraction.com/

Maybe it's a generational thing.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Maybe it's a generational thing.

Jason

Precisely

So how do you attract people, like my generation, (old scrotes) who might just be interested in what it covers?

Traction to me isn't a precise enough title.

As mentioned before it might be Traction Engines, Pulleys and ropes in hospital, Traction control in a car, or any of several other things but not specifically diesel & electric railway motive power from a certain era.

Keith

I know nothing about the art of designing mastheads, beyond what can be gleaned from a trip to a busy newsagents, but:

- to be prominent, it seems that red, or yellow, need to be included;

- the masthead is better blocked to the left, because of the way mags are shelved;

- it needs to have a form that is instantly distinguishable from its neighbours;

- a very short title that calls to mind the topic is vital: 'Rail Traction', or something, perhaps with a few words in smaller type like 'British Diesel and Electric Motive Power'

I quite like the "nameplate" idea in principle, and it might be a good idea to keep it in general, to give continuity, but change the detailing, type-face, layout etc.

The below might give a few ideas.

Kevin

post-26817-0-80864500-1474441675_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Very true Keith, BNS still is very fumy, but the smell of today's MUs I reckon is different to the Peaks and 40s that used to inhabit the place? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Slightly o/t, I had a pair of 37s in new st on Monday night, 5 mins changing ends and the place was gassed out, 2nd trip in there I ended up sat for 2 hours so shut them down to save killing the workmen there!

I'd expect it to be about diesels and stuff. Unless it had a picture of a bus on the front, in which case I'd expect it to be about Yorkshire Traction, that much-lamented bus company.

Alternatively, I suppose it could be about really bad leg breaks, given that some people enjoy reading about operations.

• Administrators

Hi all,

Thank you all so much for your comments about Traction. It's our hope that these comments will help us put together an even better magazine in the future. We'll keep you all updated.

The new issue goes on-sale in shops next Friday (Oct 7th). It's available to purchase NOW from our website with no UK postage costs. Find out more here.

The Digital Edition is also available to download. Click here.

Thanks again,

Steve

post-14186-0-31442800-1475067501_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Late as always but always got an opinion!

It looks like a retro-version of Rail Express. RE is my current favourite mag as you get both current rail news and pics you cna sue for moddling, plus modelling reviews and articles without repetitive layout articles.

I had seen ads for Traction and it looked a bit of a mish-mash, so did not risk taking a £5 risk on - Traction lacked shelf appeal.

Personally I don't like the nameplate, mostly because it looks like a poor imitation of the real thing and does not exude quality. Redone looking like a proper D&E nameplate would improve it.

As the cover several articles of interest I will take a punt on a copy if I pass Smiths. I'd also suggest perhaps appending a slimmed down version with an issue of BRM. Or offer a free copy to BRM subscribers who would like one i.e. those who indicate they are D&E modellers.

:)

Archived