Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

1 hour ago, K14 said:

Pretty sure that the left hand shop was a fairly notorious after hours drinking hole called "Scribbles" during the late 1980s & into the 1990s - No 731 OKR according to Google.

Interesting. The one on the left, which is 731, was the Clear Spirit vodka bar and lounge for a while in the 2000. There are pics of it on the web. And there is mention of Scribbles at 731, presumably before the short lived Vodka bar.

The middle shop with the bricked up frontage and Untitled Ltd sign in the pic above seems to have a bit of a reputation with people entering and leaving during the night. The whole building is considered mysterious. Some say it had a very dodgy after hours drinking den full of blaggers and crims - the sort of place where if you didn't have a gun or knife you were given one on entry.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

Some basic colours are now on, the windows/glazing to the properties above the 3-storey shops is fitted and the vee-roof has had Redutex added. The frontage for the 4-storey section has yet to be started, along with completion of the roof and chimneys, and the shop fronts for all five needs to be done. The whole row measures a smidge over 6.5" long, a little under 4" high and 2.5" deep. Fingers crossed I'll have room for it:

DSC_0389red.jpg.e220ade502bfd72d48c4a8d3e8d4c81e.jpg

• Like 8

I've added a little more detail and started to get some colour on the window wall working down from the top - I've got about two thirds of the way down so far. It's going to need finishing then some weathering down and grubbying before fitting glazing/windows:

DSC_0390red.jpg.88bcda35a1d59c5a7c17818940d3ca26.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes Grahame and thankyou for all of the inspirational subjects and information that we've been treated to throughout the year. Cheers :drink_mini:

Regards,

Ian.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Christmas is over and I've eased myself in to a little light modelling with a start on the shop frontages. Two more basically done, although they need branding and internal details, and two more to do. Think I'll go for a closed one with whitened out windows (just like christmas ^_^) and the other not yet decided. And there still gutters and downpipes to make and add . . . . 

DSC_0401red.jpg.e77b4ca414ac426eeea870fc7787e220.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Hi Grahame,

Just had a catch up, more excellent work on the buildings, something to look up to when I crack on with the ones for the next layout.

On the subject of pebbledash, that approach looks excellent. Apologies if I've missed it, what paint did you use please?

Thanks!

Jo

10 hours ago, Steadfast said:

On the subject of pebbledash, that approach looks excellent. Apologies if I've missed it, what paint did you use please?

I did it before Christmas so before all the wine and beer . . . .

But it's a paint effect using (mainly Humbrol) aerosols. The base colour was dessert yellow (I think) over a primer base. Then the speckly effect was various greys/black (Humbrol Tank Grey and Halfords grey primer and Humbrol matt black) misted on (outside in the garden) from a distance so that just a small amount reached and settled on the model held horizontally. Just a small amount squirted and then checked before adding any more to get the effect required. Then when dry sealed with a matt varnish from an aerosol. Finally a little weathering powder along the bottom edge.

HTH.

DSC_0410red.jpg.8e26db2b3c5dc9a127947408b4882689.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 24/12/2020 at 12:37, Kylestrome said:

How close are you to having all the buildings you need for the layout?

Closish, but still plenty of building modelling work to do. There are some major structures to make, such as the train shed, station entrance building/foyer, platforms and canopies, viaducts, etc., but I need to know their exact model size to fit before starting on them. And then lots of the buildings need detailing (shop fronts, signage and guttering is a particular bete noire) and finishing, especially the two tower blocks; New London Bridge House and Southwark Towers (currently they're just formboard cores).

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Love the buildings Grahame, can you tell me what you use to paint the London yellow brick? I'm trying to do some but struggling to get it right.

Apologies if it's been asked before.

Many thanks.

Base colour of dessert yellow (from a humbrol matt acrylic aerosol) then grubbied down with washes, weathering powders and a 6B pencil (rubbed over with a finger to highlight the embossed brickwork). Finally sealed with a matt varnish.

There are several sections earlier in this thread that go into further details and explanation.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's that time of the year for some reflection on the past 12 months and to wish everyone a happy and prosperous new year in 2021 - and certainly a better one than 2020 has been.

Today I've taken the opportunity to order online some modelling materials and supplies for what I fear will be a protracted lockdown period that will make visiting the local model shop impossible. Certainly over the last year I've increased my modelling output and hope that will continue. And I'd like to encourage other RMwebbers who have followed this thread to have a bash at some self reliant constructional modeling.

Cheers.

G

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Yes, it can be tricky to get hold of. I'm down to scraps and off-cuts that I've saved and managed to use those for the row of shops I recently made as there was little sloping tiled roofing on it.

However, yesterday I did notice that they (DCC Supplies) have some terracotta coloured square tiles sheets in N and ordered a couple of those. Fingers crossed they're the same (they look it when zooming in) and it will only need repainting grey. I did have a variegated light grey tile sheet that looked rather piebald (it was simple matter of spraying that a darker grey for it to be okay) but they don't appear to have that in stock either.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I thouht about that as well. I have a couple to hand so I have given a off cut a coat of grey primer and I will see in the morning what they will look like after a few washes. I do not have any of their slate but compared it to a scalescene printed slate sheet and they are little under size. But I do think this will be noticeabe in N gauge.

alan

48 minutes ago, alangdance said:

I do not have any of their slate but compared it to a scalescene printed slate sheet and they are little under size. But I do think this will be noticeabe in N gauge.

Always assuming the Scalescene ones aren't oversize and that slates all come in the same size (which presumably they don't or do they?).

I have painted and sprayed grey primer on Redutex roofing (both before and after cutting and fitting) and it has always been okay and can offer a bit of welcome variation. In fact I noticed the DCC write up suggests painting and modifying the finish and relief, and also warming it with a hairdryer to make it more flexible.