Alternatives to Dullcote

I'm sure that this has been asked before ..................

I'm running out of Dullcote ...............

Any easily available alternatives for a FLAT finish ... what about the HUmbrol version ... my local HOBBYCRAFT stocks that and I need something ASAP.

Thanks

Paul

I've been using the Humbrol spray acrylic, it's VERY matt. After a couple of coats I give it a buff up with a fibreglass pencil and it polishes up as if the model in question has received attention from the cleaners. the ultra matt bits in the corners and crevices contrasting with the not so matt polished up bits looking like a light coating of dirt, a very subtle and useful effect. 

I've been using the Humbrol spray acrylic, it's VERY matt. After a couple of coats I give it a buff up with a fibreglass pencil and it polishes up as if the model in question has received attention from the cleaners. the ultra matt bits in the corners and crevices contrasting with the not so matt polished up bits looking like a light coating of dirt, a very subtle and useful effect. 

Now that's very interesting - thanks ..... I think Humbrol spray acrylic is much easier to find in my local model shop tomorrow. Glad to hear that it's really very flat.

Are there any artists supply shops nearby?  You might want to check into some of these:

https://www.cassart.co.uk/painting/accessories_1/product_type_varnish

Whether they're any good for models I can't say.  I've used Krylon Matt Varnish on card kits, but that could be a North American brand.  Always used Dullcote etc. on my models.

John

I'm lucky in that my local model shop stocks the Alclad range, I've used the matt lacquer and got results I'm happy with in 2mmFS, I would recommend the range if your local shop can stock them.

http://www.transportmodels.co.uk/alcladiilacquerklearkotematte120mlbottlepleasenoteduetoroyalmailregulationsthisproductcanonlybepostedtoukaddresses-24219.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=24219

Went to my local Hobbycraft shop ... they only had the ENAMEL matt spray ... anyone have a view on this compared to the Acrylic version.

Thanks to all for suggestions for where I can get Dullcote. I will stock up at Warley exhibition and will be on the look out this weekend at Farnham.

But as for my immediate problem and my need for a Dullcote substitute and the issue boils down to the fact that my local model shop only stocks Humbrol Enamel matt varnish spray ............  has anyone got a view on that stuff? Is it any good?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all for suggestions for where I can get Dullcote. I will stock up at Warley exhibition and will be on the look out this weekend at Farnham.

But as for my immediate problem and my need for a Dullcote substitute and the issue boils down to the fact that my local model shop only stocks Humbrol Enamel matt varnish spray ............  has anyone got a view on that stuff? Is it any good?

Hi

Wait until you can get some Dullcote the Humbrol varnish in my opinion alters the shade of certain colours as it seems to have a yellowy tinge.

Cheers

Paul

The Humbrol Matt enamel spray is ok, but only use it if your painting with enamels, as with acrylic paints it can ruin the paint. It's all down to personal preference, but aerosols spray too much paint/varnish and you can at times lose small details such as rivets etc, as the discharge is thicker compared to if you use and airbrush, good luck in your search for a suitable varnish

NL

• Like 1

The Humbrol Matt enamel spray is ok, but only use it if your painting with enamels, as with acrylic paints it can ruin the paint. It's all down to personal preference, but aerosols spray too much paint/varnish and you can at times lose small details such as rivets etc, as the discharge is thicker compared to if you use and airbrush, good luck in your search for a suitable varnish

NL

Apologies ... as the OP I have not specified the criteria that are important to me

1. I want to dull down some shinny black plastic models ... just to make them really MATT .... then using weathering powders ..the another coat to 'fix' the powders so not worried about slightly distorting a specific 'livery'

2. I want to take the shine off some silver tank cars again to make them MATT ... add some weathering powders and then 'fix' them ... so again the issue is being MATT ... as long as the spray does not make the silver paint crack/bubble the mattness is the key issue, not too worried if the spray slightly distorts the colour as the weathering will hide that.

BTW - tried to get Dullcote at the Farnham show today with no luck so second best (easily bought in Wsatford tomorrow) is now top of my agenda.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 5 years later...
On 06/10/2016 at 18:40, NickL2008 said:

The Humbrol Matt enamel spray is ok, but only use it if your painting with enamels, as with acrylic paints it can ruin the paint. 

Hello

After 5 years I am returning to this thread. Dullcote is no longer made and so I recently bought some Humbrol clear acrylic spray. It seemed to dry with a semi transparent white tinge (bloom?) is this normal? Did I put it on too thickly?