Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

It isn't really economical to produce this 'kit' of DS75 as a series of single 3D hi-res prints. My preferred option would be to get a mould made and have it cast in resin - That has other advantages such as being more robust and not becoming brittle on continued exposure to UV light. For that to make financial sense, I'd probably need at least a half-dozen or so orders. 

Just thinking aloud.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Arun had provided two small holes on each body side into which the axle ends of the motor bogie would fit; they dont' have any particular function - they are not bearing points - other than to line up the bogie with the body correctly;

Would it be possible to trim the axle ends?

4 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

The motor has a small protrusion at the top from where it can be fixed in place, but this will not be possible for this loco; once the two halves are glued together with the floor in place, there will be no way to access the interior of the body.

In situations like this I've used press studs successfully.

• Thanks 1

Apart from sandboxes and a brake cylinder to be stuck under the cab somewhere - and some buffers, the chassis of the C3 is pretty much complete.  The outside longerons tend to droop a bit but once they have been connected to a cylinder somewhere below the cab, they should be OK.

14-brake rodding complete.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Would it be possible to trim the axle ends?

In situations like this I've used press studs successfully.

Thanks, these are both helpful suggestions; I considered trimming the axle ends with a Dremel, but I felt that they might help as 'locators' even if they were not structurally important.

I also thought about removing the protusion at the top in the same way, but again as a 'locator' it will help to ensure that the motor bogie is correctly positioned.

I had not considered press studs and this sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how they, or it, would work given the existing screw thread in the top of the motor bogie?

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

It isn't really economical to produce this 'kit' of DS75 as a series of single 3D hi-res prints. My preferred option would be to get a mould made and have it cast in resin - That has other advantages such as being more robust and not becoming brittle on continued exposure to UV light. For that to make financial sense, I'd probably need at least a half-dozen or so orders. 

Just thinking aloud.

Arun

interesting thought and certainly a resin cast might be an improvement, nevertheless, I shall continue the build on the basis that you may not achieve and econoic number of expressions of interest - and anyway, a 'test build' will always be useful!

This is of course, one of my "missing locos"!

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Podhunter said:

There's modelling dedication for you!  But who will see the third rail in the tunnel?

Actually, it was my poor sentence construction - what I meant was - at the other end of the tunnel from Stowe Magna....!

(Keep this between ourselves, but there will be no 3rd rail inside the tunnel!).  :smoke:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 18/02/2021 at 19:28, Arun Sharma said:

Just thinking aloud.

I have no use for a model of DS75, but I'd put my name down for a one....

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

.....well it's fair to say that I have no use for one either - other than to help me towards my "missing locos" target - however - there is always the possibility of using it on an ex-works running in trip, or to shuttle W&C line cars to & from works as a 'special'.

• Like 2

4mm Bulleid 1940 pattern W&C trailer cars are currently being produced by CMA for me/Radley Models. Double-ended drivers will follow idc. So all you need is a suitable match wagon [if running the trailers on surface lines through Stowe Magna for say, overhaul]

• Like 2

My Mum, bless her, way back in the late sixties, took me on the W&C during a summer holiday staying in the GWRoyal hotel Paddington.
We were studied dubiously by all the 'city gents' who were heading into work.
The units had a distinctive smell and were gloriously noisey.
The next time I saw them, was in the 80's in Swindon Works where they were being overhauled.
Never saw the transfer train mind.
Chris.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A few distractions have slowed progress over the last couple of days, however, the rain held off long enough for me to spray some undercoat with a rattle can.

Although I use a spray booth with my airbrush, it is one of those that has twin filters so that it can be used without external venting, but when it comes to rattle cans I feel that the volume of paint will just be too much for it - plus it clogs the filters very rapidly, so I do that work outside.

SJPP221000202210221.jpg.f08f0575b57c611d87992609adbfde1b.jpg

The recently completed vans are more sharply in focuse than DS75, but I have also started to brush paint the inside of the cab so that this can move forward.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress today - 5 recent wagons have coat of correct colours, further length of 3rd rail in place, and further detailed painting of interior of DS75, but I have a question!

I have 3 colour pictures of DS75, in BR black, BR green, and a sort of SR bright reddish-brown ( I think in museum condition).

I suspect that the latter is closest to either what the lastest volume of "Southern Style" describes as 'Venetian Red', or even more likely, 'Engineer's Oxide'.

What is odd about the SR livery in the picture, is that whether or not it is in Engineer's Oxide, it is lined out in both black and orange / yellow, which seems strange for a departmental vehicle.

Does anyone have any better, or alternate, information on the livery for DS75?

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well in the absence of anyone telling me that DS75 should be garter blue, crimson or some other colour, I decided that SR Bauxite it was - so I gave the exterior a first coat:

SJPP224000102210224.jpg.ed6a51ad5cedeceb214837efec74b773.jpg

Given that I had already painted the interior as well as the black bits, I opted for brushing rather than spraying this - and I know that it shows. I hope that the next coat will look a bit better but the colour does look very close to the picture that I have, so this will be it.

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

23 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Well a fat lot of good........ :search:

I think we need to draw a line under this!

Do you need a pen?

(so you can draw a line)

——————————————-

here’s one I had spare

Edited by KNP
  • Funny 1

Oh NO! The brown and salmon pink livery of DS75 is the livery it had when it was built. It was built by Siemens for the W&C which was a wholly owned subsidiary of the LSWR. What they (the LSWR) wanted was the colours to be reversed on the W&C cf.  the LSWR main line.

In SR and BR(S) days the loco was electric green - though may well have been Brunswick/Chrome green in later BR days.

In preservation (at Shildon) it was repainted from its BR(S) green into its original W&C version of the LSWR livery.

For the period you are modelling it should be electric green!

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

Edited by Arun Sharma
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

Oh NO! The brown and salmon pink livery of DS75 is the livery it had when it was built. It was built by Siemens for the W&C which was a wholly owned subsidiary of the LSWR. What they (the LSWR) wanted was the colours to be reversed on the W&C cf.  the LSWR main line.

In SR and BR(S) days the loco was electric green - though may well have been Brunswick/Chrome green in later BR days.

In preservation (at Shildon) it was repainted from its BR(S) green into its original W&C version of the LSWR livery.

For the period you are modelling it should be electric green!

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

Do you have a picture of it in SR green?

I actually always thought it should be green, or perhaps departmental black, but the ONLY image I have in SR livery is the one in brown and on the side is "SR 75S", which sounds more SR than LSWR to me - nevertheless you are right, this is a museum picture.

I also have BR green and the BR black ones (albeit of a model) that you have shown, but nothing else in SR livery; I will search my library again before adding a 2nd coat!

Tony

It was very rarely photographed though there is a preservation era photograph of it at an open day in Brighton station.  The only pics I have are b/w ones from 1961 in John Gillham's book and all they show are the lettering S75 on the fwd valance. The only decent colour pic in BR days is the one you used as background in your post though there is one [which I can't currently find] showing the rear end and its brown wooden door taken on an enthusiasts' visit to the depot in the early 60s.

Whatever, a dirty shade of green is appropriate because it would always have been overhauled in the same place as SR/BR(S) EMUs and would have been given the same paint - not the brown with salmon pink lining of the LSWR.